PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus annoying beep!

dashesy
July 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I converted to Ubuntu from Windows 5 months ago. Now I can do pretty much whatever I want, thanks to the supportive Ubuntu forums.

There are still little annoyances (I can say mostly regarding Nautilus) that if fixed makes Ubuntu just perfect.
Most important, is this beep thing in Nautilus when I delete files or hit backspace.:(
I do not think it s a hard bug to fix! And I know there are some more serious problems for developers to work on. However, for a user from Windows era, well Windows does not beeeeep every time you delete a file or hit backspace!
The bug was there in Gutsy, and is still not fixed in Hardy.
I do not want to turn the speaker off or unplug it, because the beep is supposed to report system-level failures.
I also would rather not to recompile from source just for this, because I want to get the updates.
I am kinda peace loving person :) I disabled the beep in Gnome Terminal and am looking for an easy workaround for beep in Nautilus.

Thanks

Execute_Method
July 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I turned it off in:

system -> preferences -> sound (system beep tab)
(turn off system beep)

But i left the system sounds enabled in case of OS errors.

That way, you don't have to unplug your system speaker (so you will still be notified of a hardware problem)

nooblot
July 18th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I'm not keen on changing system setting just to deal with this 100% nautilus annoyance.......
sheesh why can't Linux/Gnome learn the good things from Windows :rolleyes:

Vorian Grey
July 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
It's funny sometimes how those things that really annoy us are so easily fixed.

I'd rather leave it on so I can know when there is a problem.