PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help fixing grub (installed Windows after Ubuntu)

bluesniper90
July 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hi, I have been running Ubuntu as my only OS but needed Windows so I ran the live CD then resized my main partition. I then installed windows in the unallocated space and would boot automatically into it. I ran the liveCD again and tried this:

sudo grub
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit

Now I will see Ubuntu in grub on startup (but not windows) but it will get an error if I try to select it. Can anybody help please?

louieb
July 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
At the grub> prompt check to see where GRUB lives use the output of

find /boot/grub/stage1 in the root statement then do your setup.
IF you get the GRUB menu but Ubuntu still won't boot check the uuid in /boot/grub/menu.lst and etc/fstab

Run the blkid command to list your partitions uuid and fix the above files as needed.

Your window entry should look something like this.

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1Change the root statement to your windows install partition.

bluesniper90
July 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
In the root statement then do your setup.
IF you get the GRUB menu but Ubuntu still won't boot check the uuid in /boot/grub/menu.lst and etc/fstab

Run the blkid command to list your partitions uuid and fix the above files as needed.

Your window entry should look something like this.

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1Change the root statement to your windows install partition.

My grub was found at (hd0,1) but I still cannot boot. I can't find those files, my /boot does not have a grub folder in it. Also I found etc/fstab but don't know what to do there. (I'm running from the liveCD now if that matters).

VMC
July 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM
My grub was found at (hd0,1) but I still cannot boot. I can't find those files, my /boot does not have a grub folder in it. Also I found etc/fstab but don't know what to do there. (I'm running from the liveCD now if that matters).

It would have been better to resize ubuntu first , then move ubuntu to the right making room for Windows as the first drive. Linux doesn't care where its located, but Windows prefers the first partition.

Doesn't matter, we can fool it into thinking its there. Type the following from a Terminal:

sudo fdisk -l

So we can see where everything is located.

louieb
July 11th, 2008, 03:43 AM
My grub was found at (hd0,1)my /boot does not have a grub folder in it.
Something is wrong. If there wasn't a /boot/grub/stage1 the find command would have said file not found.

When you ran the setup command did you see the word sucess?

Did you originally made a separate /boot partition?
So where are you now do you get the grub menu?

does it boot to the GRUB> prompt?
does it return error ##? what are the numbers?

Please like VMC requested post the output of sudo fdisk -l (lowercase L at the end).