PDA

View Full Version : suggestion : Online Compile Tool for linux

medya
July 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
hey guy I wrote a suggestion or linux on my blog (http://blog.shevin.info/2008/07/online-compile-machine-for-linux.html), to have a online compile website.

I mean people can upload their sources and have them compiled in their own machine and own distro

whats your idea ?

I would appecrite it if you reply on my blog's comment . (http://blog.shevin.info/2008/07/online-compile-machine-for-linux.html)

gunashekar
July 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Wonder why would someone need an online compiler?

medya
July 10th, 2008, 11:37 PM
because there are tons of application which you need to compile but you dont have the time to download all the dependecies to Compile it.

for example you need to download 150 MBs of LIBC , LIBC6, GC++ , Linux headers... and ETC just to compile a 700KB source of program.

one computer can do it for everybody, and we can make that computer online...

bruce89
July 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Take a look at Ubuntu PPAs (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas).

for example you need to download 150 MBs of LIBC , LIBC6, GC++ , Linux headers... and ETC just to compile a 700KB source of program.

Development headers aren't that big.

One thing strikes me as odd in your blog. You were having to compile source in order to get your networking hardware to work. How would a website make this better as it might be tricky to upload stuff if your network adaptor doesn't work.

allforcarrie
July 11th, 2008, 03:56 AM
i've always wanted a drag and drop interface for building a distro. Say you want to download ubuntu but you want banshee and wine installed, you just drag the packages you want then download the .iso.

Polygon
July 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
like it was said above, launchpad already offers these services as ubuntu ppas, it also helps for compiling packages for architectures that you dont have access too (even though it only supports 32 and 64 bit atm tho)

K.Mandla
July 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Why not use a script-driven distro that has the dependencies and build sequence preset for you? Arch, Crux, etc., do that. Seems easier (and safer) than uploading source code and expecting some compiler monkey to do things for you.

medya
July 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
One thing strikes me as odd in your blog. You were having to compile source in order to get your networking hardware to work. How would a website make this better as it might be tricky to upload stuff if your network adaptor doesn't work.

if you read my blog, I have explained :
I switch to windows to download the souerces then I switch to ubuntu and I compile it , then ubuntu tells me a Dependency is missing, and I go back to windwos and download that depen.
then again back to ubuntu...now it there is another dependency of the dependency... I go back to windows (to use internet)

if there be an online compile tool, I would just have to go to windows just ONCE and get my thing compiled and use it .

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
That wouldn't help much. It would be basically be an automatic packager. If that were possible, it would be done.

regomodo
July 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
`