PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can a 7.10 --> 8.04.1 Update Be Imposed?

cmnorton
July 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have a basic question. Can I re-do an update, or to word differently, if an update goes bad, can I force an 8.04.1 update onto my system and how would I do it? Here are the details.

1) I successfully burned an 8.04.1 alternative install CD and checked its MD5 signature.

2) I popped the CD into my CD rom drive after booting. The system detected the CD and asked if I wanted an 8.04 update and so on and so forth ... ". I said yes, and chose not to download from the network.

3) I started the update, and walked away, and found the update application no longer on the screen, but the computer was responsive.

4) I tried an upgrade through the update manager and got a message about partial upgrade; accepted partial upgrade; and a few minutes later that session had disappeared.

5) I tried a network and then cdrom upgrade from the command line. Each one ended in segmentation fault.

6) I went back to an update manager upgrade, closed out from partial upgrade, and then let about 500 updates take place normally.

7) Then I rebooted, and I have no network, and it appears I do not have a clean 8.04.1 update based on the screens or absense of some of them, when I logged in.

So, here is the question. Can I reset all of this somehow and re-perform the upgrade, or do I have to re-install everything?

Upgrading both systems is still a win, because my work Thinkpad installation went, in the words of Shemp Howard, smooooth as silk. It was a pleasure to have the 8.04.01 update work that well.

zvacet
July 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Can I reset all of this somehow and re-perform the upgrade, or do I have to re-install everything?

Maybe you can,but fresh install will be faster and at the end you will have functional Hardy.I believe you have separate home partition.If you don˙t make one. (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/separatehome)