PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want Ubuntu, I really do

OffbeatPatriot
July 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
My first linux distribution was Ubuntu and one problem ruined it for me, it randomly locked up and I would have to do a reboot using the "Raising Skinny Elephants is Utterly Boring." Finally I decided that I had had enough and I switched to Fedora. Unfortunately aside from the random lock ups I really do feel that Ubuntu is better in every single way in comparison to Fedora. Sure the locks up had me saving my data every minute or two but it was so much easier to set up.

Anyway as time went on I learned what Debian is so I tried to install Debian but I couldn't install the software for a GUI and was left with nothing but the Terminal and my computer skills simply aren't that mad(I've tried installing multiple times since but my media is always no good). I switched back to Ubuntu when 8.04 came out, the lock ups were still there, but I seriously wanted back into Debian based distributions bad enough to try and live with them.

Anyway I suspect these lock ups have something to do with the GUI in Ubuntu, they only happen when I click something or scroll something, and they never happen when I tried working in the terminal buffers(what ever you call it when you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1). So I hoped that if I could cut out all the effects in Ubuntu I could come back, can I do this?

sanike
July 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Now I am by no means a Linux guru/wizard or even knowledged, but I think this is more a hardware problem than software.

Could you please list your system specs?

OffbeatPatriot
July 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Radeon X800 256MB 256-bit

Athlon 64 X2 6000+

2 GB RAM

Kevbert
July 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I assume you're using Hardy Heron Ubuntu. Gutsy Gibbon works well, for me, but Hardy was a no go area (due to hard lockups and only being able to use Mr Reset Button). Why not downgrade (especially Firefox to 2.0.015) ?
I'm going to try Hardy Ubuntu again soon. It seems strange, but Hardy Kubuntu doesn't give me the same problems (it uses Konquerer as the web browser). I'd like to try out Intrepid with flash, but can only manually install packages via the terminal.