PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Bomgar

jethro10
July 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I know this is not really an Ubuntu question, but you'r likely to have a lot of knowledge and experience.

I'm happy to buy a box from www.bomgar.com for remote contol / support.

What I can't find is a hardware based alternative, just another box to compare facilities and pricing too is all I want!
I've googled lots and found nothing.
Is this a "one of a kind", can't believe it is.

Ta
Jeff

jay.parnaby
July 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I have come across software alternatives before but no other hardware options.

We have a Bomgar box at work which we use for connecting to customer sites, and it is fine for looking after the Windows systems. For looking after Linux systems it is quite restricted, as the only connectivity available is screen sharing, which isn't much help for a server with no GUI, so I have to connect to a windows system and putty from there to Linux systems.

I suppose it depends on what you are wanting to use the box for as to whether it is the best option for you.

Jay

jethro10
July 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have come across software alternatives before but no other hardware options.

We have a Bomgar box at work which we use for connecting to customer sites, and it is fine for looking after the Windows systems. For looking after Linux systems it is quite restricted, as the only connectivity available is screen sharing, which isn't much help for a server with no GUI, so I have to connect to a windows system and putty from there to Linux systems.

I suppose it depends on what you are wanting to use the box for as to whether it is the best option for you.

Jay

Just windows to windows.
But thought it was strange there were no H/W alternatives!

rpalmertree
August 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Just windows to windows.
But thought it was strange there were no H/W alternatives!

Bomgar is the ONLY company right now to offer a full hardware based remote support solution, all of the other companies are SAAS

This is actually where Bomgar shines, and why the market is so open right now.

So many vendors have gone to SAAS type deployments, and sell that to their customers, to generate a hardware based solution would likely push more business to Bomgar.

For Windows -> Windows based control it can't be beat, also with the release of version 10.1.x the OSX, and Linux support has almost been brought up to speed with the windows versions.

Its a great product, and its highly worth looking into.

blairbo
September 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hey Everyone,

There's also SonicWALL.

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/8746.html
http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/Virtual_DS_US.pdf

It runs on their SSL-VPN Secure Remote Access boxes - essentially turning the remote session the other way (with the permission of the user of course).

It's not the prime purpose of the box, but is an add-on option.

Depending on the platform, you can support up to 25 techs running concurrent sessions.

If anybody knows of any other players in this space, please advise, as I am a vendor-agnostic product researcher, and the more of these I find, the better.

Thanks!

jenn5500
December 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
RHUB is also hardware based, and a pretty good alternative to Bomgar. They have a comparison chart against logmein on their site.
http://www.rhubcom.com/web_conferencing/web_meeting_comparison.html

It's not a comparison against bomgar, but it does give you a quick overview of its features.

Hope this helps.