PDA

View Full Version : Are YOU a Linux/Ubuntu 'Guru'?

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Well after seeing the thread about a person who is using the terminal rather then the GUI in Ubuntu for 30 days, I decided It was about time I started actually learning how to REALLY use Ubuntu - I've been using it for close to a year now and I've become so use-to its easy to use GUI that I never really bothered to learn, never really needed to learn all the useful commands and things that make using it even better or just a more enjoyable experience in general.

Thanks to this forum and the great community here I was able to find pages upon pages of useful linux commands which I have recently begun learning. After typing in just a few simple commands and learning what there function was I decided I want to really master Ubuntu, and even just linux in general. So I guess that basically means to become a "Guru" in the area of Ubuntu/Linux. Which brings me to the question posed in the thread title:

Are you a Guru when it comes to Linux/Ubuntu?

Now I'm not 100% clear on the definition of "Linux Guru" so If you wouldn't mind explaining in what way your a linux Guru, It would be appreciated;)

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
"Guru" means "teacher" so I guess the definition of being a Linux guru would be you'd have to teach another about it.

This is possible for everyone, as the basic laws of humanity say there is always someone with less knowledge.

I don't consider myself to be any sort of "expert", but others might.

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
"Guru" means "teacher" so I guess the definition of being a Linux guru would be you'd have to teach another about it.

This is possible for everyone, as the basic laws of humanity say there is always someone with less knowledge.

I don't consider myself to be any sort of "expert", but others might.
The wise and humble words of LaRoza. Man your a linux guru and everyone here knows it:)

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
The wise and humble words of LaRoza. Man your a linux guru and everyone here knows it:)

The other side of the law I mentioned is that there is always someone smarter, so I would never consider myself an expert in anything :-)

gunashekar
July 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM

...and a Guru in many other subjects.

Speaking of the word Guru, I am reminded of a saying in my language that translates into
Mother, Father, Guru and God... the order in which we are brought up to respect. Guru is respected more than God next only to Mom and Dad.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
...and a Guru in many other subjects.

Speaking of the word Guru, I am reminded of a saying in my language that translates into
Mother, Father, Guru and God... the order in which we are brought up to respect. Guru is respected more than God next only to Mom and Dad.

You speak Hindi? See the OMG pInK pOnIeS forum please :-)

Interestingly, I need a "guru" myself :-)

loell
July 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
One man's noob, is another man's guru. :D

PHATSPEED7x
July 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'd say I'm very novice when it comes to ubuntu, but I'm a chevy guru on www.fullsizechevy.com...

gunashekar
July 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
You speak Hindi? See the OMG pInK pOnIeS forum please :-)

Interestingly, I need a "guru" myself :-)

Hindi is one of the languages I speak n write. I have recommended Hindi to you on the other post.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hindi is one of the languages I speak n write. I have recommended Hindi to you on the other post.

धन्यवाद

(No, I didn't learn that fast, I looked it up!)

Thanks. I'll have to get a book and some disks soon.

gunashekar
July 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
धन्यवाद

Dhanyavaad means Thank you. You are welcome.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Dhanyavaad means Thank you. You are welcome.

Good. My sources didn't lie. I hope to learn the language and the history of it.

Sealbhach
July 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm a total n00b.

I get pwned by my pwn ignorance every single day.:mad:

mrgnash
July 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
No, not really. Although I started using bash in cygwin before I ever migrated to Ubuntu, so I have been pretty comfortable with the CLI from day #1. I only fairly recently started getting into some of the slightly more hardcore Linux-geek stuff like Vim and LaTeX, though :P

overdrank
July 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Learn something new everyday on the forums :)

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Learn something new everyday on the forums :)

Did you know that Marathi has no word for "he" and "she", but uses a single word?

overdrank
July 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Did you know that Marathi has no word for "he" and "she", but uses a single word?

See learn something new :KS

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I learn something new all the time on these forums too. I don't consider myself a guru but to someone with less knowledge about it than me i am a guru so i don't base people on rank, i base it on their knowledge.

overdrank
July 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
i don't base people on rank, i base it on their knowledge.

I do not rank people I treat all as equals. :popcorn:

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I do not rank people I treat all as equals. :popcorn:
Well in a sense i see them all as equals but I'm not going to take Ubuntu help from a Windows user who knows nothing about it and I'm not going to ask a mentally incapable person either.

Barrucadu
July 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I don't consider myself a guru or expert, but I know many people who do.

overdrank
July 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Well in a sense i see them all as equals but I'm not going to take Ubuntu help from a Windows user who knows nothing about it and I'm not going to ask a mentally incapable person either.

Hi and I was not trying to be confrontational, I was just making light of the statement. No offense intended at all. :)

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hi and I was not trying to be confrontational, I was just making light of the statement. No offense intended at all. :)
Yeah, i kinda understood that. I was aiming for serious discussion though. :)

Chame_Wizard
July 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I want to be a Teacher,but still can't be:cry: