PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] got my dad's old laptop - which linux?

nabxf
July 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
hi, recently my dad's job gave him a nice new company laptop, and because his current one was so old they let him keep it, and he gave it to me.

my problem is it's running a heavily securitied version of win95 gsk, and i can't even login with it because my dad doesn't remember the password. After much- sorry, little thought, i decided to put linux on it.

it is:
Toshiba Portegé 660CT

it has:
32mb RAM
233mHz processor
12" display
A floppy drive
Cd drive
an ethernet PCI card

My question is, which linux distro should i install it on? i know dsl is a possibility, but it looks so horrible!

any ideas?

also, i haven't figured out how to access the boot menu on it.
I know it's there, because win95 was somehow installed, but does anybody here have experience with toshiba laptops?

thanks for your time,
Nabil

iaculallad
July 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Had you tried to think of Puppy? It could run with that specification.

Zimmer
July 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM
hi, recently my dad's job gave him a nice new company laptop, and because his current one was so old they let him keep it, and he gave it to me.

my problem is it's running a heavily securitied version of win95 gsk, and i can't even login with it because my dad doesn't remember the password. After much- sorry, little thought, i decided to put linux on it.

it is:
Toshiba Portegé 660CT

it has:
32mb RAM
233mHz processor
12" display
A floppy drive
Cd drive
an ethernet PCI card

My question is, which linux distro should i install it on? i know dsl is a possibility, but it looks so horrible!

Nabil
Get a System Rescue disc. ANd try a utility nt-pass. And see if you can use the W95 installation.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

32 mb ram does not look promising at all for a graphical Linux, but DSL or Puppy may run. Puppy would be my preffered choice.

Regards

Sealbhach
July 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Can you put more ram in it?

candtalan
July 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Can you put more ram in it?

exactly my own thoughts too.
old laptop ram might possibly by considered junk in places such as computer fairs etc. At least consider ebay too?

If you get a chance, use the maximum ram the machine can handle.
good luck

kerry_s
July 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM

if your going to be concerned with looks over use, then nothings going to make you happy. any kind of fancy junk uses resources and that leaves less for programs.

dsl would be the easiest option, but if you can't get past the looks, i suggest you stay with win95.

the memory's cheap, but tops out at 80mb:
http://www.memoryx.net/topo66me.html

sanike
July 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
or spend a few hundred on a decent laptop and scrap this one :)

comandrei
July 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Did you try Deli (http://www.delilinux.org/) Linux ?

snowpine
July 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Nothing in the *buntu family is going to work on that laptop, sorry.

If you learn more about configuring fluxbox, you can tweak DSL somewhat to make it more attractive. Generally speaking, eye candy = more system resources.

Good luck!

kerry_s
July 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Nothing in the *buntu family is going to work on that laptop, sorry.

If you learn more about configuring fluxbox, you can tweak DSL somewhat to make it more attractive. Generally speaking, eye candy = more system resources.

Good luck!

jwm if he uses the newest dsl, jwm is very nice i use it for my default wm, it's very easy to tweak and change.

snowpine
July 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
jwm if he uses the newest dsl, jwm is very nice i use it for my default wm, it's very easy to tweak and change.

Sweet, I didn't know about the new DSL--I will have to check it out!

kerry_s
July 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Sweet, I didn't know about the new DSL--I will have to check it out!

i even got them to put screenshots, so you can look before you pick which one you want.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/