PDA

View Full Version : Learning a New Language: Need to be advised (Hindi)

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Settled on Hindi for now! See http://laroza.pbwiki.com/Hindi

EDIT: I editted the poll (sort of a joke).

Bill49
July 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I work with hindoos. They mostly speak gujarati. I'm off to work now so will ask them, and let you know what they say when I get back (in about 8 hours).
Bill

schauerlich
July 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I would go with Hindi, as it has more speakers and would be more likely to be understood be your average Indian.

Eisenwinter
July 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
You should learn a language depending on your location, and population of your environment.

If I wanted to learn a new language, I'd pick Thai, and Arabic.

Being a middle-easter, I'm surrounded by Arabic speaking countries, and many Arabic people in my area.

Israel also has many people from Thailand in it, whom I've worked with, many many times before.
Not knowing Thai, it flaws our communication a bit. While we were still able to understand each mostly, speaking English-Hebrew-little Thai mixture, I couldn't get into any real one-on-one conversations with them.

clanky
July 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Without knowing why you want to learn a new language it is hard to give advice, but one thing I would say is to learn a language that you will be able to use regularly or you will forget everything that you have learned very quickly.

I was raised to be bi-lingual (English / Irish) and now that I have not used my Irish for so long I have forgotten most of it evn though it was a language that I learnt as a small child.

Over the years I have learnt a few more languages along the way and have forgotten most of them as soon as I stopped using them.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Without knowing why you want to learn a new language it is hard to give advice, but one thing I would say is to learn a language that you will be able to use regularly or you will forget everything that you have learned very quickly.

Two reasons. I like to learn, and it may be useful. I would want to learn Gaeilge also (I am mostly Irish), but that isn't very useful here.

clanky
July 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
To be absolutely honest it's not even that useful in Ireland! I try to use it as much as possible when i go home, but all the people who I speak to can speak English just as well and I could communicate as easily in English.

Are you planning to visit India in the future? If that is the case then it would be worth learning basic Hindi, which would let you be able to communicate a little anywhere in india and would also be a good basis for learning the language while you were there.

Learning a language for the sake of learning is a very difficult thing to do unless you are taking part in a class where you are going to be speaking the language regularly, and even then you have to keep using the language afterwards or it will just disappear, how good is your Spanish? It might be better to work at become completely fluent in Spanish rather than learning an extra language.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
To be absolutely honest it's not even that useful in Ireland! I try to use it as much as possible when i go home, but all the people who I speak to can speak English just as well and I could communicate as easily in English.
Still, knowing the war cry of your family and nothing else is sort of pathetic (and even less useful...)

Are you planning to visit India in the future? If that is the case then it would be worth learning basic Hindi, which would let you be able to communicate a little anywhere in india and would also be a good basis for learning the language while you were there.
I would like to actually (in the future), but the places I want to visit would be in Maharashtra but the people in the USA would most likely speak Hindi.

Learning a language for the sake of learning is a very difficult thing to do unless you are taking part in a class where you are going to be speaking the language regularly, and even then you have to keep using the language afterwards or it will just disappear, how good is your Spanish? It might be better to work at become completely fluent in Spanish rather than learning an extra language.

I mainly want to be able to read it. Learning a new language is a good way to open your mind up, even if it isn't used after. My Spanish isn't that good. My vocabularly is pretty low, but I am slowly building on that.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I found that Hindi is the standard language of the government (along with English...for some reason) and it would be the most beneficial language for me to learn for my goals of learning a useful language and my desire to go to India in the future.

If I get any sort of mastery over Hindi, learning Marathi wouldn't be that much of a problem (at least the basics) and it uses the same notation.

Advise is still welcome on the subject. Hopefully from Indians, I know you are here!

gunashekar
July 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hindi and its similar relative Urudu are understood by many Indians and definitely many Marathi speaking people. Marathi is a regional language as other Indian languages such as Gujarati, Punjabi. Bengali, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil and many more. It would perhaps be better to learn Hindi and then Marathi.
I speak Tamil and bits of many other languages though some are much different. I consider the sweetest sounding Indian Languages are Bengali followed by Telugu.

bijeeshvs
July 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I found that Hindi is the standard language of the government (along with English...for some reason) and it would be the most beneficial language for me to learn for my goals of learning a useful language and my desire to go to India in the future.

If I get any sort of mastery over Hindi, learning Marathi wouldn't be that much of a problem (at least the basics) and it uses the same notation.

Advise is still welcome on the subject. Hopefully from Indians, I know you are here!

Yes you are absolutely right Hindi is our national language( INDIAN, not just "from India" ) and you can use it almost anywhere in India and use it to communicate to Indian, Pakistan,Bangladesh,Nepal...........etc people

But somehow, even i dont know many foreigners are attracted to Sanskrit Language. I heard even Madonna learned it...............
its the base of some languages used in India they derived from it

You can go with Hindi Rather than Marathi....................
when U come to India dont forget to visit "Kerala"

bijeeshvs
July 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
hey, can you say whom did you thanked and for what???????????????????

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yes you are absolutely right Hindi is our national language( INDIAN, not just from india ) and you can use it almost anywhere in India and use it to communicate to Indian, Pakistan,Bangladesh,Nepal...........etc people

I saw on the Indian 2001 census it has a lot of speakers.

But somehow, even i dont know many foreigners are attracted to Sanskrit Language. I heard even Madonna learned it...............
its the base of some languages used in India they derived from it

Who's Madonna? Never mind, probably someone unimportant.

You can go with Hindi Rather than Marathi....................
when U come to India dont forget to visit "Kerala"

It won't be for a while if at all. Kerala looks nice (and very rainy).

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
hey, can you say whom did you thanked and for what???????????????????

I don't know. I can't find that post I don't remember thanking. It could be a glitch.

DrMega
July 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Why not study another Latin based language? It might help you with your Spanish, and vice versa. Portugese or Italian might be good candidates.

Or, how about something like French or Catalan. French is widely used throughout the world and I understand that Catalan takes bits from both French and Spanish. (the downside to Catalan is that it is only useful in Catalan provinces, so unless you plan to go to Barcelona/Gerona area or the Balearic islands, it probably won't be much use).

bijeeshvs
July 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM

http://www.madonna.com/

she is Madonna.........................

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Why not study another Latin based language? It might help you with your Spanish, and vice versa. Portugese or Italian might be good candidates.
Because I already studied Latin and am learning Spanish. How many times can I rehash the same old :-)

I wanted something new, and something that could shock white people...

schauerlich
July 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM

This might be useful

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=853393

:D

DrMega
July 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Because I already studied Latin and am learning Spanish. How many times can I rehash the same old :-)

Why not learn Geordie or Yorkie then? It won't shock the white people, but nobody anwhere will ever understand you (apart from other geordies or yorkies).

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Why not learn Geordie or Yorkie then? It won't shock the white people, but nobody anwhere will ever understand you (apart from other geordies or yorkies).

I speak American, that is as close to English as I will get.

Novega
July 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I'm as white as a pile of rice... on a paper plate.... with a glass of milk... in a snowstorm. I'm learning Arabic, three main reasons: 1) Learning a new language is fun and useful 2) I'm working in the Security/Criminal Intelligence industry so it's a definite selling point on job applications...plus nobody expects someone who looks like me to know it. 3) It's pretty widely spoken (even in America, most estimates put it around 7-8 million Muslims so I assume 3/4 of them are able to read Arabic)

I think Hindi would be nice to learn first because it's a language that would allow communication with more people than Marathi would. I'd aim for a national language first and then learn a regional dialect /seperate language.
Just my 2 copper

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm as white as a pile of rice... on a paper plate.... with a glass of milk... in a snowstorm. I'm learning Arabic, three main reasons: 1) Learning a new language is fun and useful 2) I'm working in the Security/Criminal Intelligence industry so it's a definite selling point on job applications...plus nobody expects someone who looks like me to know it. 3) It's pretty widely spoken (even in America, most estimates put it around 7-8 million Muslims so I assume 3/4 of them are able to read Arabic)
I too am in Criminal Justice (which is why I am learning Spanish). Arabic has a lot of job oppurtunities as well, but I think you overestimate how many Muslims speak it.

I think Hindi would be nice to learn first because it's a language that would allow communication with more people than Marathi would. I'd aim for a national language first and then learn a regional dialect /seperate language.
Just my 2 copper They are all regional, which makes is why India still uses English.

DrMega
July 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm as white as a pile of rice... on a paper plate.... with a glass of milk... in a snowstorm.

You must be one of those extremely rare people that would be allowed on to an airoplane under the proposed new rules:)

urukrama
July 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Keep in mind I live in America, and will most likely interact with people from India, but not actually be in India. I plan on learning how to speak it, how to read it, then how to write it (in that order) so learning Devanagari is not the first thing I want to do.

Learning Devanagari isn't very difficult, and I suggest you start with it as it will help you enormously in pronouncing things right (most of the transliteration methods used for Hindi aren't very good), and being able to recongise words (I suppose you will use a text book, no?).

You can learn devanagari in a few days. It really isn't that hard, and the sooner you start with it, the better. I know some teachers of both Hindi and Sanskrit who don't teach devanagari in class at all, but assume you've memorised the script before you got to the first class. Their students usually struggle for the first week, but can then read it very fluently.

You could postpone learning to write it though. A passive knowledge of something is always easier to acquire than an active knowledge. But even here I'd suggest you start with it as soon as possible. Even learning how to write it doesn't take that long, especially if you learn how to do that while you memorize the script.

BTW, I voted Hindi.

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Wow! Your Indian friends would be totally awed. I for one would be pleasantly surprised to see a foreigner speaking my language,

I would suggest you learning Hindi, since it is a National language of India. Though it is not spoken all over India, there are many dialects of Hindi over many states of India, so Hindi is the most spoken language of India.

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM

I think it is Maradona. :)
He plays football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Learning Devanagari isn't very difficult, and I suggest you start with it as it will help you enormously in pronouncing things right (most of the transliteration methods used for Hindi aren't very good), and being able to recongise words (I suppose you will use a text book, no?).

I think you are right. I was just looking for an excuse not to learn it... Oh well. I'll get the hang of it.

You can learn devanagari in a few days. It really isn't that hard, and the sooner you start with it, the better.
It seems logical, and I already recognize a few of them (vowels), so I guess if I actually studied it, I'd get more of it.

You could postpone learning to write it though. A passive knowledge of something is always easier to acquire than an active knowledge. But even here I'd suggest you start with it as soon as possible. Even learning how to write it doesn't take that long, especially if you learn how to do that while you memorize the script.

I don't look forward to writing or typing it...

BTW, I voted Hindi.
That is what I am going to learn.

Wow! Your Indian friends would be totally awed. I for one would be pleasantly surprised to see a foreigner speaking my language,
I'll do my best. I hope I don't get an Indian accent... No offense, but I assume Indians that have accents know it isn't the most attractive.

I would suggest you learning Hindi, since it is a National language of India. Though it is not spoken all over India, there are many dialects of Hindi over many states of India, so Hindi is the most spoken language of India.
That was confusing; seeing all the languages. I originally chose Marathi because of a historical figure, but then looked into more when I learned Marathi was only the fourth most spoken language.

He plays football.

Looks like soccer to me...

urukrama
July 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I don't look forward to writing or typing it...

Typing is a pain :-) but writing could come automatically as you learn the script.

The way I learned it was using home-made flash cards with the character on one side and the transliteration on the other. I would go through those cards in both ways: looking at the character and guessing the transliteration, and looking at the transliteration and then guessing the character. When I did the latter, I would write, either with pen and paper or just 'write' with my finger, the character. In that way, I learned how to write without giving it much attention. I could read and write in about a week, without much hard work (I mainly used the flash cards on the bus, or in between tasks).

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Looks like soccer to me...
No, it's FOOTBALL.

I cant undestand why Americans call their "American Football" as Football?
After all it is played with hands. :)
It is more like Rugby with some wierd helmets. :lolflag:

This is REAL football. :popcorn:

No offense please ;)

Helios1276
July 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Depends on the county I think, You would get more use out of it in the West, that's for sure. The Irish Locoteam seem to want to put some shape on an Irish Ubuntu I think?? Eitherway, ta tu in ann labhairt liomsa ;)

Still, knowing the war cry of your family and nothing else is sort of pathetic (and even less useful...)

I'd like to hear that , if your up for posting it? An Audio clip would be better!:)

clanky
July 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Just being able to speak another language at all would shock most Brits and Americans who I have met.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'd like to hear that , if your up for posting it? An Audio clip would be better!:)

Unfortunately, that would be very close to revealing part of my real name. Sorry :-)

Here is one, not specific to my family: "Faugh a Ballaugh!"

Just being able to speak another language at all would shock most Brits and Americans who I have met.

Good. I like shocking British people (Hey, you know I have a gun and it is all in one piece? *Gasp*) and I like shocking Americans (I am surrounded by them), but most of all, I'd like to shock those Indian people :-)

Helios1276
July 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately, that would be very close to revealing part of my real name. Sorry :-)

Here is one, not specific to my family: "Faugh a Ballaugh!"

Never seen spelling like that, Would asking what county your family is from kill some of the mystery? I googled and got a few hits alright but I have never seen it in Connemara Irish. This is totally off topic..Hindi I'd say lol

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Never seen spelling like that, Would asking what county your family is from kill some of the mystery? I googled and got a few hits alright but I have never seen it in Connemara Irish. This is totally off topic..Hindi I'd say lol

Neither have I ;)

It may be an older or regional spelling, Irish isn't that unified and it is ancient.

Half of my family is from Ireland (wow, that is a big hint isn't), the rest of me is a mix of Basque (hence, "LaRoza"), Native American and a few other things.

Helios1276
July 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Neither have I ;)

It may be an older or regional spelling, Irish isn't that unified and it is ancient.

Half of my family is from Ireland (wow, that is a big hint isn't), the rest of me is a mix of Basque (hence, "LaRoza"), Native American and a few other things.

If you had the 'ancient' Irish war cry belonging to your family, then me and a few scholars would like to arrange a meeting! Your anonymity can be assured of course.:popcorn:

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
If you had the 'ancient' Irish war cry belonging to your family, then me and a few scholars would like to arrange a meeting! Your anonymity can be assured of course.:popcorn:

It is a big and famous family :-)

schauerlich
July 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
It is a big and famous family :-)

Kennedy?

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone. I settled on Hindia and will chronical useful (that I think) resources online that I find on http://laroza.pbwiki.com/Hindi

I will be buying a book and disk set soon, but I am now just sticking to rules of grammer and Devanagari, which don't require me to speak.

kool_kat_os
July 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Gujarati!!!

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Gujarati!!!

Too late :-) I am sticky with Hindi. After I get proficient (however long it takes), I will look into other languages. Gujarati with its variation of devanagari looks interesting.

While I am on the subject, Devanagari is easier than I though. That site is very good (so far) and I am picking it up without much trouble. The fact the letters have no cases and make one sound helps. Plus, when you see they are all hanging, it looks less weird and even more natural than the "floating" letters of Latin.

LaRoza
July 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I learned much of Devanagari and have two books coming. I found that a web page with the language set as hindi automatically uses Devanagari

http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/मुखपृष्ठ

So as I type the transliterations, it comes out as Devanagari. That is awesome :-) Now that I know that, I can easily program something to help me type it out anywhere :-)

shrinath.nagarajan
July 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Learn Hindi. You'll find ample use for it even in the U S of A :)

gunashekar
July 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Plus, when you see they are all hanging, it looks less weird and even more natural than the "floating" letters of Latin.
Funny! i had the same impression

gunashekar
July 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
He plays football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona
Oh i thought Madonna was yet another crazy (Mad on na... whatever) nickname on this forum

LaRoza
July 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I made this just now: http://laroza.freehostia.com/home/apps/hindi/

http://laroza.freehostia.com/home/apps/hindi/index.php?p=first

Ok, so I have the date wrong, ignore it. I'll fix it later. :-)

mips
July 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_language maybe?

LaRoza
July 17th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Got my book and CD set (another book on its way, with a different focus)

It really helps to hear and to be able to read, however, listening is very boring (when I am not using the book), and I do not care how big Pratap's room is :-)

Can anyone recommend a good movie in Hindi? I like action and comedy :-)

Dhanyavaad.

MeTylerDurden
July 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Sign language would probably be the most widely understood. Then top that off with a smattering of several other major languages like Japanese , German and Spanish. For fun you should try a dying Native American language , perhaps you might become the last living speaker of such a language if you dont resist and live a futile life

LaRoza
July 17th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Sign language would probably be the most widely understood. Then top that off with a smattering of several other major languages like Japanese , German and Spanish. For fun you should try a dying Native American language , perhaps you might become the last living speaker of such a language if you dont resist and live a futile life

The subject of this thread was learning a language from India, and I settled on Hindi.

Sign language isn't the most widely understood, I have seen sign language in other languages besides American Sign Language, and I can assure you, they are very different.

MeTylerDurden
July 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I feel stupid , thanks

LaRoza
July 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I feel stupid , thanks

Most people don't get a chance to see it. I happened to be in court where a Puerto Rican man who was deaf, had his interpreter (who was also deaf, but could do American Sign Language and Puerto Rican sign language) and the official signer for the court (who only knew ASL). It took a long time.

After the proceeding was done, I had the pleasure of telling him what do to next...

Canis familiaris
July 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Most people don't get a chance to see it. I happened to be in court where a Puerto Rican man who was deaf, had his interpreter (who was also deaf, but could do American Sign Language and Puerto Rican sign language) and the official signer for the court (who only knew ASL). It took a long time.

After the proceeding was done, I had the pleasure of telling him what do to next...

:lolflag:

You are making this stuff up! Arent you? :D

hvac3901
July 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ranjan2

LaRoza
July 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
You are making this stuff up! Arent you? :D

No. I was there and I "talked" to the guy (through two translators)

LaRoza
September 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Devanagari is painless and easy.

I figured I'd learn Nasta`liq for Urdu while learning the language(s). Writing right to left... who ever heard of such nonsense?

mips
September 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Do you guys have any Hindi & Tamil TV channels in the USA?

Just thinking that might make things easier when learning.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Do you guys have any Hindi & Tamil TV channels in the USA?

Just thinking that might make things easier when learning.

None that I know of in this area.

I don't watch TV at all. In fact, soon, we will not get any channels at all, but we won't notice. We have a TV, a very old one that works flawlessly from the 80's.

But you are right, hearing it in "real life" helps a lot. I get Indian movies. So far, I have Munna Bhai Lage Raho, but I have Munna Bhai MBBS in the mail.

Canis familiaris
September 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
None that I know of in this area.

I don't watch TV at all. In fact, soon, we will not get any channels at all, but we won't notice. We have a TV, a very old one that works flawlessly from the 80's.

But you are right, hearing it in "real life" helps a lot. I get Indian movies. So far, I have Munna Bhai Lage Raho, but I have Munna Bhai MBBS in the mail.
As far as I know there are Indian TV channels particularly in the United States (meant mainly for PIOs).
However there is (local) Youtube as well
http://in.youtube.com/

You may try that. I am not really sure what content is there since I watch only technical videos which are available only in English.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
As far as I know there are Indian TV channels particularly in the United States (meant mainly for PIOs).
However there is (local) Youtube as well
http://in.youtube.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmed_input/output ?

You may try that. I am not really sure what content is there since I watch only technical videos which are available only in English.
I don't see anything on that channel that I couldn't get on youtube as a whole I think.

<edit>
I was joking about PIO, I know what is means.

mips
September 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Are the movies expensive over there? I recall driving back from the dam through a mostly Indian village and saw a poster outside a shop for Hindi/Tamil dvds and they were cheap as chips, and I mean really cheap.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Are the movies expensive over there? I recall driving back from the dam through a mostly Indian village and saw a poster outside a shop for Hindi/Tamil dvds and they were cheap as chips, and I mean really cheap.

Define "expensive". :-)

Movies are not like the pirate markets you get in some places, but they aren't that expensive.

I buy Indian movies online, as stores don't seem to carry them. I buy them on Amazon, so that is what I pay. Around $10 usually, which is a good price.

cleverselfreferentialname
October 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM
You might want to see the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUZQur7-TYE

This series is generally considered good for learning pronounciation and what-have-you. I don't really know myself, having not studied the language, but have a look. The first one is linked; it's just an introduction.

kernelhaxor
October 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I am an Indian and I have lived there all my life until three years back when I moved to Seattle for college education.

Hindi is a much better choice since you want your knowledge of the language to be useful. If you know Hindi, you can not only travel comfortably but also talk to most people to understand the local culture in most parts of India. Though Hindi is more popular in the north than the south, most south Indians too understand Hindi. Marathi on the other hand is spoken by only a small part of India.
Also you can find a lot of resources for learning Hindi.

If I could suggest, check out Livemocha (www.livemocha.com). Its a social network of language learners but they have courses on the site too. A lot of people on the site are from India and they are really helpful too. Above all, its FREE. I used to intern at this company in its initial stages but now it has grown to over a million members.

rajeev1204
October 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Namaste.kainse hain aap ?/ kainsi hain aap (if u are female).

It really helps to hear and to be able to read, however, listening is very boring (when I am not using the book), and I do not care how big Pratap's room is :-)

Can anyone recommend a good movie in Hindi? I like action and comedy :-)

Dhanyavaad.

Comedy - andaaz apna apna,golmaal (old ),chupke chupke,and a thousand others.

Action - hindi not good for action but check out dhoom 2 .

regards

rajeev

P.S. good choice on learning hindi , its the easiest of all indian languages but also very rich in the literary sense.I can only speak it and that too in mumbai slang .

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
(if u are female).

Mai~ Borg hu~

Pratirodh Vyarth hai.

I have the Munna Bhai movies. I guess it is hard to have three love stories, four musical numbers, at least one dramatic wedding, and three subplots in an action movie.

P.S. good choice on learning hindi , its the easiest of all indian languages but also very rich in the literary sense.I can only speak it and that too in mumbai slang .

I am also learning Urdu. I got the same books for Urdu that I got for Hindi (same series) and they are very good. I only got the Urdu book + cd's yesterday. I can read some of the script already (well, I can't do the letters I haven't studied, but I can often guess what the word is. It seems the lack of vowels mean guessing is a good thing to be good at).

Canis familiaris
October 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM

That's the worst movie recommendation IMO.

bijeeshvs
October 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
where on earth you have all the time for these, are you sitting there always doing something and not even going out for some sunshine??

LaRoza
October 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM
where on earth you have all the time for these, are you sitting there always doing something and not even going out for some sunshine??

Where on Earth? USA, Pennsylvania.

Time? Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (I don't eat lunch anyway).

Sunshine? I go out all the time. I walk everywhere (or use a bus).

So, what was the original intent of the question? How do I find time to learn? There is always time to learn.

rajeev1204
October 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM
nvm

rajeev1204
October 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Mai~ Borg hu~

Pratirodh vidyarth hai.

Vyarth not vidyarth. :)

regards

raj.

worx101
October 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Actually voted other...

In terms of utility and something that might actually prove useful in the future, you should learn mandarin.

Japanese might be useful, might be easier to test due to the popularity in japanese movies.

Problem with Indians is most of them don't speak the same language. 9 times out of 10 if you speak to them in hindi, they will give you a blank stare. Its extremely dialect driven and will change significantly in different locals.

*note* This isn't from first hand experience, just what some of my indian co-workers tell me/complain about

rajeev1204
October 8th, 2008, 09:18 AM
You are wrong about that.

Hindi is widely spoken and understood throughout india.

And as far as singapore is concerned, iam pretty sure your co workers are tamil (origin tamilnadu -a state in india) where hindi is banned due to reasons i dont wanna talk about now in these forums.If iam not wrong, isnt tamil an official language there?

They have given you a biased and incorrect information.
SIngapore is filled with tamil speaking people so their reaction is not surprising.
I lived in tamilnadu for a year so i know for sure why hindi is useless there.

worx101
October 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
You are wrong about that.

Hindi is widely spoken and understood throughout india.

And as far as singapore is concerned, iam pretty sure your co workers are tamil (origin tamilnadu -a state in india) where hindi is banned due to reasons i dont wanna talk about now in these forums.If iam not wrong, isnt tamil an official language there?

SIngapore is filled with tamil speaking people so their reaction is not surprising.

Yes, tamil is a official language here. But, most indians here are not local...

As for what state they are from... I do not know. I am just going to have to trust you on this one :)

rajeev1204
October 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
assalaam alekom.

Where are you from ? i mean you born in singapore?

Allah hafiz :)

October 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM

May I ask which set? It looks as though I will be learning with you.

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
In terms of utility and something that might actually prove useful in the future, you should learn mandarin.

I don't want to go to China ;)

Japanese might be useful, might be easier to test due to the popularity in japanese movies.

Indian movies are way more popular :-) In fact, they have more viewers than American movies.

Problem with Indians is most of them don't speak the same language. 9 times out of 10 if you speak to them in hindi, they will give you a blank stare. Its extremely dialect driven and will change significantly in different locals.

Hindi + English = Go anywhere in India

Tamil + English = Go anywhere in India

*note* This isn't from first hand experience, just what some of my indian co-workers tell me/complain about

Indians are a funny people. (It is towards the end about how Indians feel about each other http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8PBF5h-9Qg)

We almost had a Tamil/Hindi war on this forum...

I have also talked to Tamilese (word?) and they told me that they don't use Hindi, so I should speak English (fortunately, I know English pretty well).

May I ask which set? It looks as though I will be learning with you.

Hindi or Urdu (say that fast!)

For Hindi, you need to learn Devanagari, which is very easy. However, Urdu uses Nastaliq, which isn't so easy (not extremely hard, but it certainly is the complete opposite of Devanagari). (Devanagari: Logical, one sound per character, left to right, block letter like. Nastaliq: Not so logical (you can see a word and pronounce it unless you know the word), more than one sound per character, right to left, and extremely cursive.)

I recommend getting two books. One for learning to right (use it first!), and one for the language. These books are very good, however, you should also get real life speakers (or movies).

For Hindi:

Teach Yourself Hindi (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) by Rupert Snell and Simon Weightman (http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Complete-Package-Language-Courses/dp/0071414126/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223486709&sr=8-2)
Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script (http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Beginners-Hindi-Script/dp/0071419845/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223486709&sr=8-4)

For Urdu:

Teach Yourself Urdu Complete Course (Book + 2CD's) (Teach Yourself Complete Language Courses) by David Matthews and Mohamed Kasim Dalvi (http://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Complete-Course-Language-Courses/dp/0071546995/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223487041&sr=8-1)
Teach Yourself Beginner's Urdu Script by Richard Delacy (http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Beginners-Urdu-Script/dp/007141987X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223487041&sr=8-2)

Both of the Teach Yourself $LANG Complete Course's come with CD's. The book in that course will have a chapter on the script, and they are complete, but they don't really teach you how to actually write the characters and the courses use transliterations up until some chapters in. Devanagari is extremely easy to learn to read and write, and Nastaliq isn't that hard to read (assuming you know the word, or they use vowel signs) but harder to write.

October 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have also talked to Tamilese (word?) and they told me that they don't use Hindi, so I should speak English (fortunately, I know English pretty well).

Wiki says Tamilian. Makes me think 'Chameleon.'

Hindi or Urdu (say that fast!)

Hindi. Well, really, I have an interest in both, but primarily Hindi. Hindustani!

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hindi. Well, really, I have an interest in both, but primarily Hindi.
I added the links.

Hindustani!
Don't confuse yourself. Hindi and Urdu are standardized registers of Hindustani (Khariboli dialect).

October 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I added the links.

Don't confuse yourself. Hindi and Urdu are standardized registers of Hindustani (Khariboli dialect).

For me, it's just a way of saying I'm interested in both. I figure the lexical differences aren't too bad unless I'm reading something really academic. It could be said that I'm learning Hindustani + Devanagari + Nasta'liq, as opposed to saying 'I'm looking learning Hindi and Urdu,' no?

EDIT: Holy crap Nasta'liq looks complicated. How much similarity is there with perso-arabic script? I don't have a feel for most of these things yet.

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
For me, it's just a way of saying I'm interested in both. I figure the lexical differences aren't too bad unless I'm reading something really academic. It could be said that I'm learning Hindustani + Devanagari + Nasta'liq, as opposed to saying 'I'm looking learning Hindi and Urdu,' no?

It could be either. Hindi and Urdu as basically the same in every way, except Urdu uses more Arabic/Persian and Hindi uses more Sanskrit, although both use Arabic/Sanskrit normally, they just emphasise one over the other. The grammar is the same, except for the few cases where they use Arabic or Sanskrit grammar, which is relatively rare.

The division is, I think, quite artificial. India was ruled by Muslims for a couple of years, then the British. The language evolved and changed during that time. After the British left, Pakistan was made (which, just cut a chunk of India off that was mostly Muslim, although it contains much of Panjab, where they speak Panjabi) to satisfy some self governing issues (and to prevent a war...). At this point, I don't there was any distinction. Hindustani (indeed, any language) can be written in any script. Panjabi uses several scripts even today. After the split, the Muslim majority of Pakistan use Arabic influences more, and the Hindu majority use Sanskrit more. There is debate over whether they can be considered different languages or they are just registers of the same language. I think they are the same (as there are no guidelines about what percentage of the language has to be what to qualify).

The script is the biggest difference. The rest would be sort of religion based, as Muslims obviously use more Islamic terms for things, and Hindu's use more Hindu terms for things, but in regular speech it wouldn't matter for most things.

LaRoza
October 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
EDIT: Holy crap Nasta'liq looks complicated. How much similarity is there with perso-arabic script? I don't have a feel for most of these things yet.

Nastaliq is a form of the script which is rarely used in Arabic speaking countries. It is more complicated in some ways. There are several forms of writing the Perso-Arabic script. The most common in most places is Naskh I think. It is simpler and easier to typeset.

I can, with my very limited ability so far, read Nastaliq to some degree. Urdu has some changes, because it is being used to write a language (Hindustani) that has sounds Arabic doesn't have (and Arabic has sounds Hindustani doesn't have). Devanagari also has changes for foreign sounds (but are simple. Usually just a dot below an existing letter).

Naskh isn't completely foreign to me and I can read some of it (my goal is reading, not writing, Nastaliq).

EDIT: If you don't know any Indian language similiar to Hindi, I recommend learning Devanagari first, as it is much easier and more importantly, will help you to learn how to speak it (and Urdu is written in Devanagari a lot in India, because the younger people don't learn Nastaliq it seems). Although I am not very far in my Hindi book, and know Devanagari, I was able to use the Urdu book to learn a lot in a very short period of time because of my familiarity with the language and sounds.

UbuWu
October 8th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I would recommend LiveMocha (http://www.livemocha.com/) for online learning, I think they have Hindi too.

kagashe
October 9th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I voted for Both belatedly (It is an old thread) just to tell you:
Refer to the caption below your ID. It should be:
आत्महत्या दर्दरहित है

But why do you write such things?

and now to my answer to the poll.

Besides Hindi, Marathi is the only other Indian Language which adopted Devanagari script (it had its own called मोडी), therefore, you can read Marathi when you can read Hindi i.e. half the job done.

kagashe

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I voted for Both belatedly (It is an old thread) just to tell you:
Refer to the caption below your ID. It should be:
आत्महत्या दर्दरहित है

Yes, I know. I haven't logged out yet so I can use my Hindi keyboard layout to type it out. (Why not copy and paste? I want to change दर्दरहित to another word, same meaning, just not Urdu)

But why do you write such things?

It is the name of a song.

Besides Hindi, Marathi is the only other Indian Language which adopted Devanagari script (it had its own called मोडी), therefore, you can read Marathi when you can read Hindi i.e. half the job done.

kagashe

There are other languages which use it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanāgarī

However, I find related Brahmic scripts easy to figure out (Gujarati, for example).

I already know Devanagari (I wrote this poll before I started learning. I am not a fan of Munna Bhai and can understand a lot of Hindi)

EdThaSlayer
October 9th, 2008, 02:32 AM
You should visit and live in India for a while, then you can truly use/learn the language to its full potential. :)

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM
You should visit and live in India for a while, then you can truly use/learn the language to its full potential. :)

Right, like Indians don't speak English and there are no Indians in the USA ;)

I may go there in the future, but right now, I need to save my change for the bus to get downtown.

EdThaSlayer
October 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Right, like Indians don't speak English and there are no Indians in the USA ;)

I may go there in the future, but right now, I need to save my change for the bus to get downtown.

But then you won't get the true "Indian experience". It's good to travel once in a while(if you have the money that is). You should know there are some parts in India where they don't speak English(outside the cities for ex.).

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 02:50 AM
But then you won't get the true "Indian experience". It's good to travel once in a while(if you have the money that is).

/me hold back jokes about Indian experience...

I will go there if I can someday.

You should know there are some parts in India where they don't speak English(outside the cities for ex.).
Yes, I know.

kagashe
October 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM
There are other languages which use it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanāgarī

I didn't know Nepali was covered in 23 Official languages of India. Yes it is the only other besides Hindi and Marathi.

kagashe

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I didn't know Nepali was covered in 23 Official languages of India. Yes it is the only other besides Hindi and Marathi.

kagashe

Sanskrit is a scheduled language of India. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_India#The_languages_of_the_E ighth_Schedule_to_the_Constitution

Devanāgarī is also employed for Bhili, Bhojpuri, Konkani, Magahi, Maithili, Marwari, Newari, Pahari (Garhwali and Kumaoni), Santhali, Tharu, and sometimes Sindhi, Panjabi, and Kashmiri.

rajeev1204
October 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Tamil + English = Go anywhere in India

Absolutely wrong.

India is a huge country and maybe with english you can manage in most cities but tamil nope.

Have you checked your sources?

I have roamed a lot of cities here and hindi/english is most common.

andras artois
October 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I don't mean this in a harsh way but isn't Urdu in india basicly the language spoken by the lower classes, eg slaves etc

I would like to learn Hindi but apparently it's a dying language.

October 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I don't mean this in a harsh way but isn't Urdu in india basicly the language spoken by the lower classes, eg slaves etc

Not according to the indian census, which is cited here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_languages_by_number_of_native_speak ers). It's grown by both a large number of speakers (80 million) in the last ten years, in addition to gaining a large - equal to 1% of the population of India.

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Absolutely wrong.

India is a huge country and maybe with english you can manage in most cities but tamil nope.

Have you checked your sources?

Yes, it was a person in India ;)

The point was that although there is a Hindi/Tamil split, English is the language used to overcome that. I was told by someone in Tamil Nadu that if I went there, not to speak Hindi, but English (which, indicates it is a language that is known there in great enough numbers to make it useful).

I have roamed a lot of cities here and hindi/english is most common.

English ;) Yes, my point was that if one knows English, they can "go anywhere" so to speak.

Urdu is actually a language spoken by some of the "elite". It, in many circles, has a higher ranking. Hindi movies are mostly in Urdu now-a-days, and Urdu is used by many of the educated. In the past, hundreds of years ago, Urdu was the "Language of the Camps" so to speak, because the Muslim rules spoke Persian (I think) and it was a mix of native Indian languages, and the Muslim rulers language. At that time I guess it could be said to be the language by lower classes.

Hindi isn't dying, I think.

October 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Er, know of some fonts that will do devanagari? The default fonts for rxvt and xterm don't like it.

LaRoza
October 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Er, know of some fonts that will do devanagari? The default fonts for rxvt and xterm don't like it.

Search Synaptic for all Indic fonts.

rajeev1204
October 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
what language is hindustania? never heard of it . :)

another name for india is hindustan which means hindi speaking land.

Not hinduism the religion as some people think.

I think you should learn urdu also maybe cos its very rich too.All our classic hindi movies were actually in urdu but it sounds similar. Its because all our writers and poets at that time ( and even now ) spoke and wrote songs ,stories etc in urdu.

If you look at the movie certificate in the beginning for the classics , the language is urdu clearly mentioned.

I would like to correct you a little here , its the old movies that are in urdu ( from late 50,s upto 80's maybe), the newer ones barring a few are all hindi.

Last but not the least, its shuddh (pure) hindi that you should learn.Bombay hindi is all slang and not the right way to learn it.Visit the north to learn pure hindi.They speak it.bombay hindi is just to communicate and written hindi is always pure hindi in any state.The mumbai hindi is just a way to keep up with our fast pace of life and shuddh hindi takes some time to be spoken.

We try to use shuddh hindi when talking to women mostly as a matter of respect. :)

regards

raj.

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
what language is hindustania? never heard of it . :)

It is a typo I often make. I try not to correct other people unless they would benefit from it.

another name for india is hindustan which means hindi speaking land.

I think it means "Land of the Hindus", when "Hindu" was a word that meant "Indian" (from Arabic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu#Who_is_a_Hindu_.3F

I would like to correct you a little here , its the old movies that are in urdu ( from late 50,s upto 80's maybe), the newer ones barring a few are all hindi.

It would depend on where you make the distinction between Hindi and Urdu, I think.

Canis familiaris
October 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM
TBH I just can't speak pure Hindi. Urdu and English are so much deep rooted into Hindi now...

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
TBH I just can't speak pure Hindi. Urdu and English are so much deep rooted into Hindi now...

You mean deep rooted into YOU ;)

Language is a means of communication so making political statements or whatever can be futile for that goal.

Canis familiaris
October 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
TO most Hindi Speakers...

Language is a means of communication so making political statements or whatever can be futile for that goal.
I am not sure I really understand this but if you mean what I think you mean then I agree with you. :P

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
TO most Hindi Speakers...

We'll take a poll. :-)

I am not sure I really understand this but if you mean what I think you mean then I agree with you. :P

It means speaking Shuddh Hindi for the sake of it, even though it will confuse people, is not all that smart. I learned archaic features of English so I can understand older texts and conventions (and could speak it if I wanted) but I don't because it would hinder communication.

Canis familiaris
October 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
It means speaking Shuddh Hindi for the sake of it, even though it will confuse people, is not all that smart. I learned archaic features of English so I can understand older texts and conventions (and could speak it if I wanted) but I don't because it would hinder communication.
I thought you meant that and I agreed.

rajeev1204
October 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Are you referring to me here?

Also,which hindi are you referring to? Delhi hindi, mumbai hindi or hmm hyderabadi hindi?

Canis familiaris
October 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Also,which hindi are you referring to? Delhi hindi, mumbai hindi or hmm hyderabadi hindi?

She was referring to me. :)

ooobuntooo
October 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Rosetta Stone is a great piece of software for learning languages.

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM

The first part was me messing with Panda Ji about not being able to speak Shuddh Hindi, and the second part was me being realistic.

Heidi18
October 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM
By the way there is a new language learning software for Hindi out there that runs also under Linux (as it is a Java program). I like it a lot as it uses thousands of pictures and the audio recordings are quite good. You can have a look here: http://www.l-ceps.com/en/hindi/learn-hindi-ptrainer.html

kagashe
October 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
LaRoza
The sentence मेरी हाफर्क्राफ्त सर्पमीनोंसे भरी है does not mean anything.
What are you trying to write?

kagashe

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
LaRoza
The sentence मेरी हाफर्क्राफ्त सर्पमीनोंसे भरी है does not mean anything.
What are you trying to write?

kagashe

I know it doesn't mean anything.

The first word is ok, the second word is an attempt to write an English word in Devanagari because the Hindi phrase for it is too long (there are restrictions on length). The their word is two words, stuck together because I was one space short, and for some reason the maatraa on the final "hai" counts as a letter, even though it takes up no space.

Of course, the original current version isn't that sensible either, but such is life:

मेरी मँडराने वाली नाव सर्पमीनों से भरी है

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
मेरी मँडराने वाली नाव सर्पमीनों से भरी है
That still doesn't make any sense...

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM
That still doesn't make any sense...

I know, but it is correct-er.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I know, but it is correct-er.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

:lolflag:

armageddon08
October 20th, 2008, 03:11 PM
So howzzzz your Hindi-learning going ? How much of the grammar have you learnt (that's a very essential portion learning any language) ?

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
So howzzzz your Hindi-learning going ?
Going well. Also, how is your English learning going? :-)

How much of the grammar have you learnt (that's a very essential portion learning any language) ?

Hindi grammar is relatively simple. I have most of it down, but I have to think about certain verb tenses, although I know the grammar of it.

Right now, I have to increase my vocab, and learn more about using it in everyday life (but I also want to read it, and know more than just spoken Hindi).

I am also learning Urdu, and am going over the script for that, which is a version of the Persian script (and not as easy as Devanagari)

dracule
October 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM

it is so so.

i like to use it for a base, then go out and read newspapers to get the rest.

Learned French, Swedish, and now Itallian w/ that method.

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM

From what I have seen, it isn't that great.

I found the Teach Yourself books to be very good (for a good price): http://www.teachyourself.co.uk/

I have:

Teach Yourself Hindi (with CD's)
Teach Yourself Urdu (with CD's)
Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script
Teach Yourself Beginner's Urdu Script

They have other books for the languages: http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/TitlesList/30063/_Hindi.htm

This and movies and conversations on IRC are quite helpful.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Going well. Also, how is your English learning going? :-)

Cricket effect I think...

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I'm a vegan.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm a vegan.

Sport Vegan?

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
How long are you going to let this thread go on before you correct the title to use the noun "advice" instead of the verb "advise"? Or are you saying that you have a need to advise us about something?

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
How long are you going to let this thread go on before you correct the title to use the noun "advice" instead of the verb "advise"? Or are you saying that you have a need to advise us about something?

I thought "advise" is the AmE spelling for "advice" :eek:

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Sport Vegan?

I am also an American, where a cricket is an insect. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/African.field.cricket.arp.jpg/180px-African.field.cricket.arp.jpg

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I am also an American, where a cricket is an insect. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/African.field.cricket.arp.jpg/180px-African.field.cricket.arp.jpg
It is a known insect here too. But it is more popular as something else which I was referring which I know you know. :)

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Wow! You're quick. :)

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
It is a known insect here too. But it is more popular as something else which I was referring which I know you know. :)

What is the Hindi word for cricket? The real cricket, not the sport.

Wow! You're quick. :)

I aim to please, however, I am also proud and didn't want to do the recommended change, so I made my word right.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
What is the Hindi word for cricket? The real cricket, not the sport.

क्रिकेट? :lol: OK I have no idea for that. I think the insect is known here only as a pun for the sport. Maybe I know the insect by name in Hindi but can't relate it.

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
क्रिकेट? :lol: OK I have idea for that. I think the insect is known here only as a pun for the sport. Maybe I know the insect by name in Hindi but can't relate it.

Really?

If you don't know what insect the word "cricket" actually refers to, it is a small insect which often makes a chirping sound (usually, at night) and will get quiet if you go near them and resume when you are a way. You can tell the temperature quiet accurately by the rate of chirping if you know how.

http://www.shabdkosh.com/en2hi/search.php?e=cricket&f=0&p=

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I aim to please, however, I am also proud and didn't want to do the recommended change, so I made my word right.
I've taken the screenshot and saved it so that I can annoy you...just in case

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I've taken the screenshot and saved it so that I can annoy you...just in case

I'll take a screenshot of your account profile, just in case.

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Really?

If you don't know what insect the word "cricket" actually refers to, it is a small insect which often makes a chirping sound (usually, at night) and will get quiet if you go near them and resume when you are a way. You can tell the temperature quiet accurately by the rate of chirping if you know how.

http://www.shabdkosh.com/en2hi/search.php?e=cricket&f=0&p=
Ah... झींगुर. I now get it... Thanks...

Canis familiaris
October 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'll take a screenshot of your account profile, just in case.
You want to SPAM-BAN me. *cries*
*shows the TIME MACHINE*

sudo apt-get install time-machine
time-machine -move "02/04/07"
chmod +Mod_Powers Anurag_panda
sudo SPAM_BAN LaRoza
./evil_laughter

kagashe
October 21st, 2008, 04:01 AM
What is the Hindi word for cricket? The real cricket, not the sport.झिंगुर

Oh. I did not see Anurag's post but I think the झिं is how I have written.

kagashe

armageddon08
October 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM

Oh yes.....absolutely!:)

forrestcupp
October 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM

I noticed that and thought it was humorous. ;)

If I would have thought about it, I probably could have predicted that you would do that.

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
I noticed that and thought it was humorous. ;)

If I would have thought about it, I probably could have predicted that you would do that.

Probably. I don't like to be like everyone else. I don't mind being predictable, as long as the predictions don't apply to regular people.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
What is the difference between "dhulnaa" and "saf karna"?

"saf karna" sounds Farsi, is "dhulnaa" the Shuddh word? Or does it have a different meaning?

Canis familiaris
October 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

"saf karna" sounds Farsi, is "dhulnaa" the Shuddh word? Or does it have a different meaning?
"dhulnaa" = washing
"saf karna" = cleaning

I have no idea about the word origins though.

kagashe
October 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM

The word is "dhona" धोना not "dhulnaa".
कपडे धोना washing clothes
"dhona" is the verb and "dhulnaa" is the process of washing

The difference is already explained by Anurag.

Read the title of this page.
(http://hindi.webdunia.com/news/career/gurumantra/0809/19/1080919018_1.htm)
kagashe

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
"dhulnaa" = washing
"saf karna" = cleaning

I have no idea about the word origins though.

So if I am dusting and tidying in the house, it is saf karna, but if I am using water to clean the dishes or my clothes it is dhulnaa?

("saf" is Farsi I think, not only because of the "f", but because I think I remember seeeing it in a Farsi tutorial)

Thanks

Christmas
October 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I really recommend Japanese (that is of course, if you're not from Japan :-) I remember I had a course of Japanese when I was in high-school, and although that was only for a semester, learning it was very fun and entertaining.

From those you mentioned in the post, I really don't know because I've never encountered any of them, but maybe Hindi because the name is familiar.

LaRoza
October 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I really recommend Japanese (that is of course, if you're not from Japan :-) I remember I had a course of Japanese when I was in high-school, and although that was only for a semester, learning it was very fun and entertaining.

Learning any language can be fun and entertaining, hardly a reason to recommend a specific language ;)

From those you mentioned in the post, I really don't know because I've never encountered any of them, but maybe Hindi because the name is familiar.

Hindi is one of the languages of India.