PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Does any one know how to enable horizontal scrolling on synaptic touchpad?

bhadotia
July 10th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Here is the background:
I never knew that I could do horizontal scrolling using the horizontal edge of my touch-pad because it never worked (neither in windows nor in linux).
About a month back I did a fresh install of my ubuntu (I am always reinstalling my OS:)) and as usual installed gsynaptic and set /etc/X11/xorg.conf accordingly . Surprisingly this time I could do horizontal scrolling.

Here is the problem:
After reinstalling my ubuntu this time:) , the horizontal scrolling is not working - Dunno why.

What I have tried:
Coz it seemed like some configuration mistake that the horiz. scroll. was not working so I started exploring the xorg.conf file and found an option "HorizEdgeScroll" in there so I set it to one ("1") in hope it would work- but that did not work.
I also tried to do some google search - did not work.
Ofcourse ,the horizontal scrolling is enabled in gsynaptics.

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks.

tjwoosta
July 10th, 2008, 05:23 AM
do you have the synaptics touchpad driver installed? (it will work without the driver but you wont be able to use the scrolling)

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

then go to Preferences-Mouse and click the touchpad tab

Edit: also the reason it didnt work in windows is probably the same (go to the synaptics website to download the windows driver)

bhadotia
July 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Hi,thanks for the reply.
Thank you very much for the idea:
I just checked my System>Preference>Mouse and the "Enable horizontal scrolling" was not enabled . Its working after enabling it.

Next time I will be more carefull checking my own settings before posting out here:(:)

Sorry for the unnecessary trouble and Thanks a lot:guitar:

P.S. I did not know there was a synaptic driver:).