PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install from dwloaded pkg saved in HDD

arjunajay
July 10th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Hi,
I'm new to Ubuntu.My version is 8.04
1) I download tar.gz files of apps that i want to install. eg for blender and ffx. How do I tell Add/Remove or the synaptic package manager to install the app/library from the downloaded (tar.gz) file rather than from the internet or from the DVD?
This is because I frequently install and uninstall apps and i don't want the files to be downloaded from the net (as it is slow and cause me to exceed my download limit).

2) My Add/Remove still shows gcc, g++ to be 4.2 as it is probably the one in the DVD. How do I tell it to show the most recent version (which is something like 5.x)? There is also an entry there which shows 'gcc' (without version number). Is that it?

iaculallad
July 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Hi,
I'm new to Ubuntu.My version is 8.04
1) I download tar.gz files of apps that i want to install. eg for blender and ffx. How do I tell Add/Remove or the synaptic package manager to install the app/library from the downloaded (tar.gz) file rather than from the internet or from the DVD?
This is because I frequently install and uninstall apps and i don't want the files to be downloaded from the net (as it is slow and cause me to exceed my download limit).

With the tar.gz archived file, you have to do the installation manually. Extract the archive and do the usual process of:

cd extracted_archive_directory
./configure
./make
./install

Or try reading the readme file w/c comes with the archive file.

2) My Add/Remove still shows gcc, g++ to be 4.2 as it is probably the one in the DVD. How do I tell it to show the most recent version (which is something like 5.x)? There is also an entry there which shows 'gcc' (without version number). Is that it?

Maybe, the system needs a restart in order for the version number to initialize :)

arjunajay
July 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I probably wasn't clear.
I downloaded Pre compiled Binaries.
I haven't got enough experience to build on my own (Yet).

iaculallad
July 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I probably wasn't clear.
I downloaded Pre compiled Binaries.
I haven't got enough experience to build on my own (Yet).

Pre-compiled binaries:

For .deb files:

sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb

For .rpm files:

You need the alien utility to convert it to Debian format.

sudo apt-get install alien

To convert to .deb file:

sudo alien -d package-name.rpm

and to Install:

sudo dpkg -i package-name.deb

arjunajay
July 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
thanks...