PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange Browser behaviour - help

syscode
July 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Hi,

I have just installed ubuntu 8.04.

All seems well apart from firefox seems to connect only to few sites..
I can get google.com for example - but not ubuntu.com. In fact the only other site that i got connected with is: diamondcard.us. (ekiga)

After a bit of a search here, it seemed that maybe my problem was a need to add the line net.ipv4.tcp_default_window_scaling = 0
on etc/sysctl.conf - but adding the line didn't make any difference.

Any idea what may cause this behaviour and how to fix it..?

Many thanks!

syscode
July 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Bump!

Hummm.. Any ideas, please..?

Should I put this thread under network section..?

Cheers!

wpshooter
July 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Syscode:

I am having a somewhat similar problem.

I am trying to get a computer for my sister configured for her use on a dialup basis. I am installing Hardy 8.04.1. I am installing the O/S and what applications she will need using my home Verizon DSL connection and then I am switching the machine over to a dialup basis for use at her house - where she does not have access to DSL.

I am using an external serial port dialup modem - Trendnet TFM-560X. Once I get the O/S installed and I attempt to dialup the ISP using gnome-ppp, the computer seems to connect to the ISP fine and then I can go to Firefox and I can see Google and also other sites.

But then once I disconnect from the ISP and then when I attempt to dialup again, the modem seems to be dialing up and connecting to the ISP (according to what I am seeing on the dialer) BUT then when I attempt to open Firefox, it will show Google page (which I have set as the home page) BUT I can not go to any other sites - says Firefox is in offline mode or something similar to that.

Is there possibly a bug in either the Hardy 8.04 O/S and/or in the new Firefox version 3.0 ?

Thanks.

syscode
July 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
wpshooter:
This sounds very similar indeed however, my firefox doesn't tell me its "offline" - unless am looking in the wrong places.

Since I have done a bit of reading recently about ubuntu's net connection, it seems that at times, it rather figure out its net connection, e.g. I read some where I shouldnt put my pppoe details.
Am mentioning that as it might have something to do with your particular case..?
Just a thought - am not an expert..

syscode
July 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hummm...

I wonder if this post should have gone in the networking section..

acoluthus
July 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I wanted to tie into this discussion; total newbie here; I'm considering this modem for dialup; would like to know if the modem is the issue or not before buying this or an ActionTec unit.. `will be watching for replies..
thanks-
Aco'