PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install XP on same disk as Ubuntu and Vista

sept298901
July 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hey, i have a little problem, i am mainly a windows person, but over the last few months i have been using Linux more and more because it doesn't crash like my vista OS does. as you all know the downside to Linux is gaming, and since i am running vista x64 i can't install half of my old games that i really like.

What i want to do is install xp on my machine. At the moment i have GRUB set up to boot Vista first and Ubuntu if i select it.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

by the way i have to latest x64 version of ubuntu installed if that helps.

xp_newbie
July 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
There shouldn't be a problem if you follow the following general steps:

Create an empty (unformatted) partition
Install XP on it. Do not let it install in either the Vista or Ubuntu partition.
Configure GRUB to add XP as another boot (/boot/grub/menu.lst)

HTH,
Alex

sept298901
July 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
i guess my question is then, how do i configure grub, and when i install xp will it automatically boot to that right off the bat?

jimv
July 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Install it OVER Vista....two problems solved at once.

sept298901
July 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM
i need a 64 bit windows operating system, and xp x64 stinks. so unfortunately vista is my only option if i want to use windows programs with over 4gb of ram. i hear where you are coming from though, i really hate vista with a passion.

jimv
July 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
i need a 64 bit windows operating system, and xp x64 stinks. so unfortunately vista is my only option if i want to use windows programs with over 4gb of ram. i hear where you are coming from though, i really hate vista with a passion.

Heh, I just "upgraded" to XP again last week. I had Vista for almost a year and I just couldn't take it anymore. I forgot how fast my computer was :)