PDA

View Full Version : Open Office 3.0: What to expect?

VitaLiNux
July 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
http://hehe2.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/openoffice-beta-about.png

¨Around 3 month ago OpenOffice.org released its 2.4 boasting quite an impressive arsenal of advancements. However if you thought 2.4 was major release, then you have seen nothing! Come September, OpenOffice.org will release it’s 3.0 version! That must be quite a big jump! The upcoming 3.0 version is widely regarded as an important milestone in the project’s development. Here are some of the advancements I am most excited about:

http://hehe2.net/linux-general/openofficeorg-30-what-to-expect/

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM
It looks like a real winner ;)
I have the beta and it runs very well.

Side point:
http://hehe2.net/
The second post on that blog, "Debunking the Microsoft Windows User Friendliness Myth!". I think the problem is a virus. I seem to remember seeing that countdown virus, was it sasser or blaster, can't remember. Maybe he should run Linux on his moms laptop too. Suare that photoprinter will work ;)

Darkade
July 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Seems quite great, I'm downloading the beta LOL

Redache
July 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'm running the beta, there's a hell of a lot of nice new features to play around with. I'm happy that Open Office.org keeps improving!

lisati
July 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM
The one-and-only copy of Star Office I've used had email and web browsing features. I wonder if they'll get round to bringing that feature to Open Office.....

samjh
July 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I wish they'd improve Word 97/XP/2003 and RTF compatibility. :( It can't even preserve lists and tables, let alone anything more advanced.

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Wow Its looking pretty good! I'm hoping they add Word Art or something simialar;)

Kingsley
July 10th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Wow Its looking pretty good! I'm hoping they add Word Art or something simialar;)
OO.o 2.0 does have something similar. Go to View > Toolbar > Fontwork.

I admit it's not nearly as good as Microsoft Word's though.

Twitch6000
July 10th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I expect 3.0 to be the big bang on Microsoft office.
I like 2.4 as it is right now,but with what I am seeing in just the 3.0 beta I can see a big hit coming soon.
I am loving what SUN is doing for the FOSS community.

dracule
July 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I once nearly failed a paper because of open office.

They make double space too big, I only had an average of 15 lines per page compared to Words' 20. If I write a 20 page paper in word, and copy and paste the contents into Open Office, i get about 4-5 extra pages.

if they fixed this I wouldnt have to boot into windows to fix everything in Word.

TBOL3
July 10th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Hmm, I haven't noticed this for about a year now. But I suppose what you could do is make the spacing 1.5 lines, instead of 2. Or if that's too small, there is a custom feature, do what works for you.

bruce89
July 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I can only assume that the OO.o people are using the Mozilla version number bloat system.

Noticing that OO.o has Mozilla Thunderbird and Sunbird makes me wonder if Ubuntu will replace Evolution with these, I bloody well hope not.

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Those new features are great, especially PDF import. That means we can edit PDF right? Sweet, now all they need to do is ditch Java and go with something better.

TBOL3
July 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I was under the impression that OOo only used Java for add-on types of things.

Masoris
July 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I hoped OpenOffice.org 3.0 Calc remove 65536 rows limitation, but OOo 3.0 only increase columns limitation to 1024. I think 65536 is very small number to deal a data. :( I hope post next version of OOo remove this limitation.
BTW, I'm waiting OOo 3.0, I looks nice especially Extension function. Now OOo is more than just a office software. :)

eldragon
July 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I once nearly failed a paper because of open office.

They make double space too big, I only had an average of 15 lines per page compared to Words' 20. If I write a 20 page paper in word, and copy and paste the contents into Open Office, i get about 4-5 extra pages.

if they fixed this I wouldnt have to boot into windows to fix everything in Word.

i wouldn't blame a teacher's stupidity on OO.org

TwiceOver
July 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Import PDF? Does that mean editing and saving back to a PDF? If so... DAMN! A big leg up on MS Office.

bruce89
July 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
[...]now all they need to do is ditch Java and go with something better.

I was under the impression that OOo only used Java for add-on types of things.

Indeed, only for OO.o base AFAIK.

I wonder how people would react if they used Mono instead.

I hoped OpenOffice.org 3.0 Calc remove 65536 rows limitation, but OOo 3.0 only increase columns limitation to 1024. I think 65536 is very small number to deal a data. :( I hope post next version of OOo remove this limitation.
BTW, I'm waiting OOo 3.0, I looks nice especially Extension function. Now OOo is more than just a office software. :)

Gnumeric can be compiled in such a way to have more than 65536 rows.

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Indeed, only for OO.o base AFAIK.
Thanks for the info, i was misinformed. I wouldn't like them to use Mono. :D

Import PDF? Does that mean editing and saving back to a PDF? If so... DAMN! A big leg up on MS Office.
Not only a big up on MS Office but just about everything out there, you can currently only pay for PDF Editors, if OOo got it, and for free....it would be freakin' awesome.

Elfy
July 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You can certainly open a pdf, edit it and save or export it as a new pdf. Whether you can do as much as is possible with other software or not I can't answer.

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have used the beta. It seemed much more stable and less resource hog as 2.x. I didnt test it in detail though,

Chame_Wizard
July 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
It looks nice to me :lolflag:

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
It looks like a real winner ;)
http://hehe2.net/
The second post on that blog, "Debunking the Microsoft Windows User Friendliness Myth!". I think the problem is a virus. I seem to remember seeing that countdown virus, was it sasser or blaster, can't remember. Maybe he should run Linux on his moms laptop too. Suare that photoprinter will work ;)
Most definitely.

That virus I remember was MSBLAST. Though Sasser showed similar symptoms.
Also you could stop the shutdown countdown by going to Windows command line and giving command: shutdown -a

SunnyRabbiera
July 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I just wonder if this can be put into the repositories like firefox 3 was.

Hells_Dark
July 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Wow. I just tried it. It seems so fast oO

(Am i the only one to find it way smoother & faster ?)

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I just wonder if this can be put into the repositories like firefox 3 was.

I wonder too.

Wow. I just tried it. It seems so fast oO

(Am i the only one to find it way smoother & faster ?)

No you are not alone

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
You can certainly open a pdf, edit it and save or export it as a new pdf. Whether you can do as much as is possible with other software or not I can't answer.
I hope they make it so you can do some extensive work with PDF's, that would be a major feature for them, i hope they don't blow it.

MONODA
July 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
i cant wait, the new features in impress seem great.

TBOL3
July 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I thought that I read somewhere that the PDF import features are only for draw. Is there any basis for this?

cardinals_fan
July 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I might switch back from Koffice if it's as fast as everyone is saying. I'm downloading the beta right now (on my OpenSolaris partition).

Elfy
July 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I thought that I read somewhere that the PDF import features are only for draw. Is there any basis for this?

I opened a pdf - it does as you thought open it in draw, but I could edit text lines and move stuff about.

It certainly does enough for me - last time I tried to edit a pdf the app wasn't the easiest to use, but can't remember what it was - definitely in the repos though

jwkolberg
July 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Does it have a right-click thesaurus? a feature I love in MS word and really miss since switching to linux. Having to go up the the menu on the top is annoying.

thanks in advance.

keiichidono
July 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I opened a pdf - it does as you thought open it in draw, but I could edit text lines and move stuff about.

It certainly does enough for me - last time I tried to edit a pdf the app wasn't the easiest to use, but can't remember what it was - definitely in the repos though
That sounds awesome, that's exactly as it should be. OOo 3 will be amazing.