PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my phone, mp3 player and internet tablet with 1 device.

purdy hate machine
July 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hi all. I have had enough of carrying 3 devices around with me, not to mention all those chargers so I'm looking for a single device to replace my mobile phone, Iriver H10 mp3 player and my Nokia N800 internet tablet... either that or buy a bigger hand bag but that's too easy.
Anyway, the obvious choices out there at the moment seem to be the Iphone or the Nokia N95 8gb.
Anyone have any other suggestions or preferences between these two?
Thanks PHM.

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Well If you can afford it I guess the iPhone wouldn't be a terrible choice.... But you should check out the Blackberry phones as well, just a suggestion;) I'm not really too 'in' on the smart phone business:D

zmjjmz
July 10th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Just gonna note that the iPhone doesn't work too dandily with Linux.
And the 3G rates are insane.

zachtib
July 10th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The new iPhone comes out tomorrow, as I'm sure you know, and it is nice, but I'm trying to decide if I want to pay for it...

NxZDr
July 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
You could always keep the phone for a phone and get a Touch if you are fine tracking down Hotspots. My city is focused on Tourism and the Universities, so hotspots and open wi-fi are abound.

%hMa@?b<C
July 10th, 2008, 01:44 AM
you can get a Neo Freerunner running OpenMoko

geoken
July 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I don't currently have an internet tablet, but it's something that would be useful and I'm already carrying around a phone and an Mp3 player.

I'm probably going to wait until the freeRunner's OS becomes more mature and get one. The iPhone is a nice device by I don't have the energy to battle with a device that doesn't want to work on Linux. My local freeRunner distributer is going to be preloading it with Android as soon as it becomes available. I'll probably go that route as I'm sure Android will offer superb integration with the google services I already make use of (gmail, docs).

Yuki_Nagato
July 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I recommend the Nokia. The co-workers have been content with theirs.