PDA

View Full Version : Best OpenSource License for a web based project?

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Could anyone give me suggestions as to the most appropriate license that a LAMP project could be released under?

There's quite a choice ;)
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/category

The obvious is GPLv3, however, could I have opinions if there is something you might think would suit this type of project better?

Cheers
George

petegreenhorn
July 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
is this realy a absolute beginners talk forum question because for as long as iv'e been looking on this forum that question as never been posted

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Then feel free to report my post so a moderator can move it!

jpeddicord
July 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The GPL3 would suit it fine. Another option is the AGPL, which would require all users of it to also release their source code, even if they do not directly redistribute it. For example, if WordPress was AGPL (it's not) then every blog running it on the Internet would be required to publish their source code. Some may view it as an annoyance, some view it as simply another GPL freedom.

(And I've moved this to the Cafe ;))

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Dude, that was so a noob question :p and im back in the cafe ;)
Wonder if he did report me :lol:
Hmm he's soo going on my black list :lol:

Mateo
July 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Why in the world would you want to release the source code of a web project anyways?

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 11:27 PM
It's not just a web project, although it's 85% web based.
I am writing a c++ app to work along side it as well as MySQL stored procedures and a variety of webapp interfaces such as google calendar etc.

Why, you not think it's a good idea to do that?