PDA

View Full Version : DIGG Ubuntu 8.04 "Article"

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
http://digg.com/technology

This is great! I was just browsing Digg.com in the technology section and at the top of the page is a great article that introduces the linux user interface and the distro showcased is Ubuntu - I believe this article could very well bring in a lot of curious people who may or may not have heard about Ubuntu or even linux in general!

Mr. Picklesworth
July 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Here is a link to the actual page on Digg:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Introducing_the_Linux_user_interface

I found the article a bit troublesome, actually. It locked me into a five minute long face-palming session. The author seemed to be playing the "completely clueless oaf" card. For example:
He goes on to note that "...you can use almost any two-button USB mouse with any modern Mac". But again, "modern Mac" is spelled out and he doesn't say why some two-button mice won't work. They all work in Windows.Obviously, Mr Mossberg is playing it safe. I don't think anyone has encountered a two-button mouse that doesn't work in MacOS. (Having said that, I doubt Apple's touch sensitive mouse works with all buttons anywhere else).
None of these operating systems lack "right click support"; just hardware without right mouse buttons.

While I think his points would have remained similar, I would prefer if this writer had actually used MacOS before writing about it, even if just to look reliable.

Further:
Macs will confuse Windows users. For one thing, the "X" is in a circle in the upper left corner. But most importantly, it doesn't shut down the program. In fact, as Mossberg described it, it's not clear to me just what it does. He says that it closes the window rather than quitting the program. Close the window? Could he mean that it minimizes the window? Maybe this is Mac terminology? When Windows and Linux users "close" a window, we're shutting down the program.Ever used MSN Messenger? Skype? Windows Update? Pidgin? Liferea? A virus scanner?
Not that I think the way Apple did this was all that clever. The fact that a process stays running is hardly discoverable, and the reason why even less so. (Actually, there's very little reason why; any modern operating system will work in such a way that the application can start up Very Quickly the next time; it stays in memory until that memory is needed. By keeping the process loaded, the memory cannot be selectively freed and is instead tied up completely).

I like that the author goes over reason #1141 why Firefox is a bad idea as a default application since its desktop integration is nonexistent beyond the superficial "it looks right at first glance!". Perhaps, since this is a reasonably major article, that point will not be Glossed Over for the one thousand one hundred fourty-first time! Hmm?
Having said that, this doesn't necessarily require swapping web browsers; supporting the FreeDesktop standards on Linux won't lose Firefox its desktop neutrality. Anyone feel up to it?

Would have been fun if the author had pointed out that keyboard shortcuts can be changed if they don't suit you. It's one of those really fantastic hidden goodies that I like to point out.

Chame_Wizard
July 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM
http://digg.com/technology

This is great! I was just browsing Digg.com in the technology section and at the top of the page is a great article that introduces the linux user interface and the distro showcased is Ubuntu - I believe this article could very well bring in a lot of curious people who may or may not have heard about Ubuntu or even linux in general!

Some people are stupid:"Linux intentionally mimicked the Windows interface to make it easier for Windows users to use Linux. A smart move because there are a lot more people using windows than anything else.":(

Lostincyberspace
July 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I like the article below it, in the Linux/Unix page, more. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Reiser4_kills_your_wife

Canis familiaris
July 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I like the article below it, in the Linux/Unix page, more. http://digg.com/linux_unix/Reiser4_kills_your_wife
lol

racoq
July 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Lame article and a sick joke...

NxZDr
July 10th, 2008, 12:32 AM
but the best jokes are always ones that are sickening.

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Here is a link to the actual page on Digg:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Introducing_the_Linux_user_interface

I found the article a bit troublesome, actually. It locked me into a five minute long face-palming session. The author seemed to be playing the "completely clueless oaf" card. For example:Obviously, Mr Mossberg is playing it safe. I don't think anyone has encountered a two-button mouse that doesn't work in MacOS. (Having said that, I doubt Apple's touch sensitive mouse works with all buttons anywhere else).
None of these operating systems lack "right click support"; just hardware without right mouse buttons.

While I think his points would have remained similar, I would prefer if this writer had actually used MacOS before writing about it, even if just to look reliable.

Further:Ever used MSN Messenger? Skype? Windows Update? Pidgin? Liferea? A virus scanner?
Not that I think the way Apple did this was all that clever. The fact that a process stays running is hardly discoverable, and the reason why even less so. (Actually, there's very little reason why; any modern operating system will work in such a way that the application can start up Very Quickly the next time; it stays in memory until that memory is needed. By keeping the process loaded, the memory cannot be selectively freed and is instead tied up completely).

I like that the author goes over reason #1141 why Firefox is a bad idea as a default application since its desktop integration is nonexistent beyond the superficial "it looks right at first glance!". Perhaps, since this is a reasonably major article, that point will not be Glossed Over for the one thousand one hundred fourty-first time! Hmm?
Having said that, this doesn't necessarily require swapping web browsers; supporting the FreeDesktop standards on Linux won't lose Firefox its desktop neutrality. Anyone feel up to it?

Would have been fun if the author had pointed out that keyboard shortcuts can be changed if they don't suit you. It's one of those really fantastic hidden goodies that I like to point out.

It's true the article was fairly biased but I still think it was worth digging so that more people (non Linux/Ubuntu users) would get a look and some insight into the OS.

NxZDr
July 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
He should have used an actual background, not just standard brown. That isn't even the default setting.

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Maybe he was going for simplicity or something? Naaaa......

NxZDr
July 10th, 2008, 01:34 AM
So? That 8.04 default background is spectacular!