PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft uses Advertising to fix Vista

Bungo Pony
July 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Nothing like a 300 million dollar band-aid:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38316/128/

Microsoft recently hired one of the most creative advertising agencies on the planet and has freed up an estimated $300+ million to fuel the campaign. To put this in perspective, the Windows 95 launch, arguably one of the biggest campaigns in Microsoft’s history, cost under $200 million. With the right creative content behind it, $300 million can do some amazing things and one of them is clearly to take the fight back to Apple and assure both sides of the story are told.

RATM_Owns
July 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM
With Microsoft, it's probably the band-aid that falls off after 5 minutes.

Chame_Wizard
July 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
90% of Hollywood uses Linux:lolflag:

youthforlinux
July 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
the problem is that most people so easily fall into said advertising cause either they don't know about any other alternatives to microsoft software or they just are too lazy to change and they've gotten comfortable with their "Vista problems"

Jimmey
July 9th, 2008, 10:08 PM
With Microsoft, it's probably the band-aid that falls off after 5 minutes.

I bet you can't explain that properly. Without sounding biased. It sounds like a fanboyism to me.

LaRoza
July 9th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I bet you can't explain that properly. Without sounding biased. It sounds like a fanboyism to me.

The point is they are compensating for technical problems with marketting. That is not future proofed ;)

Sealbhach
July 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
AFAIK, Apple have a really good reputation, even amongst non-tech literate people, so any attempt to throw mud at them could really backfire - and I have to say, Steve Ballmer might not be the most appealing figure in the software industry - so, it could turn a negative into a china syndrome.

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Has anyone seen this little gem
http://imtalkathon.com/

Right at the bottom
Disclaimer:

If you’re reading this, your BS detector is chirping like a smoke detector with a dicey 9-volt. As you’ve probably guessed, this blog is fictional, but the causes, and the i’m Initiative most certainly are not. The purpose of this blog is to raise awareness of the i’m Initiative and the worthy causes it helps. If we rubbed you the wrong way in the process that wasn’t our intention, so “sorry, our bad.” The alternate was something called an “e-mail blast.” But, believe us that’s not nearly as exciting as it sounds. A herd of well-compensated legal professionals in Redmond, Washington, says we also need to tell you something:

The Parker Whittle character depicted herein is fictitious and his activities are described for illustrative purposes only.

Mobile charges disclaimer: Senders and recipients of messages may be charged a fee by their mobile provider. Please check your mobile service plan for details.

Hosted by: McCann Worldgroup for Microsoft Corporation

shadylookin
July 9th, 2008, 10:58 PM

It's not correcting the problems of their users. So marketing is just a band-aid that's going to fall off once another string of negative reviews comes along because nothing changed.

Midwest-Linux
July 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I doubt a 300 million dollar band aid will help. "Wow 2.0" isn't going to change the minds of the consumers or companies. I noticed a increase of Windows users going to dual boot with some form of Linux (especially Ubuntu).

Which begs this question. If Vista users are really that satisfied with Vista, then why are they seeking to dual boot? Not only do I see members and new members here asking about dual boot with Ubuntu. But I see a growing trend at the Windows forums, (including the Vista Forums) those asking information on how to dual boot.

I noticed in one of the Big Retail chains, Vista Ultimate upgrade was selling for $69 with a purchase of a new PC. MSFT is going all out to promote Vista. So why now? Why a year and a 1/2 after its release? Simple, XP is off the retail shelves (mostly), and MSFT must promote Vista properly as the replacement for XP.

The only major problem with replacing XP with Vista is simply a LOT of computers cannot run it. And the computers that could run it, Vista cannot run some proprietary software that businesses use. I can't fathom how MSFT didn't see this problem before hand..thats where the problem lies for MSFT. The lack of foresight on their part.

Add insult to the injury, Apple is just about 8%, Linux is up and gaining across all platforms. Russia just approved a measure to take open source to all the schools in the country beyond the initial three test regions. Server share on Wall Street is projected to be 72% Linux. Firefox is about 20% in usage. open Office seems to be taking off like wildfire. All happened this seemingly on Vista's watch. Will Wow 2.0 help... I doubt it.

NxZDr
July 9th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Also note that Windows 7 is probably going to be pushed more than vista was. If there was any advertisement being prepared, it'd probably be for that.

Erdaron
July 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
See, I've been kind of thinking that Windows 7 will be to Vista what XP was to ME. It'll be much smoother, more operational, not a total disaster of an OS, and as soon as it comes out, MS will try to pretend like Vista never really happened.

scragar
July 10th, 2008, 12:51 AM
[on-topic]
personally I don't think Microsoft have tried to pull themselves out of the hole fast enough, Vista is still known as a resource hog(which honestly it still is, although not as much as it was), people will still see no need to upgrade(at least not for the huge price vista costs when you consider hardware costs as well) and people just don't like the new look.
I hope they can finally sell some copies, however, although this may just be because I want the price of ram to go down(and given the amount vista needs it will drop).

[off-topic]
lol.
While I do get application crashes from time to time, it rarely happens to Vista itself (less than once a month) and many of the recent updates and patches haven’t required rebooting.Let me get this straight, programs are expected to crash, and the OS is expected to go down more than once every 2 months...
Oh, and they are surprised to find updates that don't require a restart...

I know I've got bit of a hatred for windows(I resent it for costing way too much for an OS that just didn't run as needed, bogged down the machine, used the HD 24/7 and couldn't even tell me what my built in graphics card was called, let alone install the drivers for it. And that's my experience for the first 24 hours, the machine was running for a week, and it got MUCH worse), but if windows users expect that no wonder Linux can't live up to their expectations.

Twitch6000
July 10th, 2008, 02:00 AM
See, I've been kind of thinking that Windows 7 will be to Vista what XP was to ME. It'll be much smoother, more operational, not a total disaster of an OS, and as soon as it comes out, MS will try to pretend like Vista never really happened.
You do realize XP was a big failure at first right?
Heck before SP1 and even a bit after SP1 of XP people were saying don't use XP it sucks use 2000.

Erdaron
July 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
You do realize XP was a big failure at first right?
Heck before SP1 and even a bit after SP1 of XP people were saying don't use XP it sucks use 2000.

Right. But it also seems that they quickly abandoned all attempts to make ME better, and focused on XP, eventually turning it into a decent OS. Meanwhile, ME was kind of swept under the rug.

Twitch6000
July 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Right. But it also seems that they quickly abandoned all attempts to make ME better, and focused on XP, eventually turning it into a decent OS. Meanwhile, ME was kind of swept under the rug.
Good Point,but the fact is it had major issues to start with.