PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hardy Heron, clean upgrade

_jj
July 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have been using various flavours and releases of ubuntu, xubuntu and kubuntu for some time now. I have settled on kubuntu and with the release of hardy heron it struck me that now would be a good time to clean up my computer which is full of remnants from the various releases.

Is it easy to upgrade to Hardy Heron, thus keeping all my files, so I end up with just Kubuntu Hardy Heron packages that I select on the install/upgrade and all the other packages/modifications I have used/applied over the last year or so wiped? I have a Kubuntu Hardy Heron disc and a broadband connection if this helps.

I know this will mean some time regetting the non-standard packages that I have found useful and reapplying some problem fixes I have had to implement but I feel with my now (slightly) increased linux knowledge I will be able to do a cleaner job of this than I did the first time round.

Thanks in advance!

mikewhatever
July 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
It looks like you need a reinstall, not an upgrade. Back up your personal files before you do it.

ashleycameron
July 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hi, What happened?
whether it is working alright after reinstalling?

_jj
July 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
not got round to it yet, going to try at the weekend after backing everything up!