PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Go TO Gutsy from Hardy?

Jackie999
July 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Since Hardy is freezing something terrible on my laptop I'd like to try Gutsy ....is there any way to get it without formatting and beginning again ?
Hardy is the only one I've tried ..and I've gone thru 3 upgrades and numberour reinstalls, and it still freezes..could be my laptop, but I'd like to try an older version before I trash it.

Note for any mods out there..can you see why I can't post in 'absolute beginners' section - funny that I can post anywhere but there :)

meindian523
July 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Have you any data to save?Have you created a separate /home partition?If you don't know,please post

sudo fdisk -l
df -h

Jackie999
July 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I just have the home folder that set up on install..and no, there isn't much in it. But I have spent time setting it up (between the annoying freezes) ...programs like Konversation, my wifi antennas are all set up, bookmarks in FF etc....nothing I can't do again from scratch. And I am downloading Gutsy at the moment to start fresh..I was just curious if I could do it from within Hardy.
Thanks

meindian523
July 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
From within Hardy,I very much doubt that.What you could do now,is copy your home folder to some external storage,including all hidden files(see them by pressing Ctrl+H),then reinstall with the Gutsy CD you are downloading.
While installing Gutsy,give the same username and password you used in Hardy,and then replace the home folder which is created by default with the one you backed up.All your personal settings should remain the same after doing this.