PDA

View Full Version : Another thing I like about Ubuntu / Linux

Master Shake
November 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM
See my avatar?

I was able to do a screen capture of one of my Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD's thru Totem, and then crop it and scale it down in TheGimp.

If I were to do a screen cap of a DVD in Windows, I'd get a black image, and not what I was trying to capture.

Viva Open Source!

Dr. Nick
November 2nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Cool
Totem is best to cature movies, though depending on your hardware and what video output you use some movie applications still give a blue box instead of video, You can succesfully capture video in windows , but not with any of the default players. Linux makes that aspect easier

xequence
November 2nd, 2005, 09:29 PM
See my avatar?

I was able to do a screen capture of one of my Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD's thru Totem, and then crop it and scale it down in TheGimp.

If I were to do a screen cap of a DVD in Windows, I'd get a black image, and not what I was trying to capture.

Viva Open Source!

Sorry, but in windows you can screen capture. PowerDVD :P Though it does cost money I think. (As with everything in windows).

The reason it gives you a black screen is that is uses hardware acceleration.

Master Shake
November 2nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
Sorry, but in windows you can screen capture. PowerDVD :P Though it does cost money I think. (As with everything in windows).

Let me have my victories, no matter how small.

:) ;)

Dr. Nick
November 2nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Let me have my victories, no matter how small.

:) ;)

Hehe, Yeah it is still a victory in my book because it makes something so easy, that in windows would be a bit harder or cost a few $$$

Its all about doing the little things right that makes Linux nice to use

Kvark
November 2nd, 2005, 09:36 PM
A black or blue box... Strange, one would expect a screenshot to show what the screen shows.

It's not possible to take a screenshot of hardware accelerated graphics? Then why is it possible to take a screenshot of a 3D game?

aysiu
November 2nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
I thought it was because the image wasn't deinterlaced or flattened or something like that.

I have PowerDVD, and it does screen captures. InterVideo WinDVD (which we used to have) does not do screen captures. I consider it an advantage, too, that the default player (or one that can be easily and freely acquired) in a Linux distro can do DVD screen captures.

M7S
November 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
I think this really should be: Another thing I like about Ubuntu / Linux, no Windows Media Player!

There are some days though when I have to read mplayers man page fore the fifth time because I forgot something or don't know how to do something, I really miss Gabest's simple but complete Media Player Classic.

Regards,
M7S

Master Shake
November 2nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
I think this really should be: Another thing I like about Ubuntu / Linux, no Windows Media Player!

Even better! That's actually what I meant (although Winamp doesn't allow screen caps in win either.)

xequence
November 3rd, 2005, 02:50 AM
I have PowerDVD, and it does screen captures. InterVideo WinDVD (which we used to have) does not do screen captures. I consider it an advantage, too, that the default player (or one that can be easily and freely acquired) in a Linux distro can do DVD screen captures.

I really liked how good powerdvd did screen captures. I have 50 or so screenshots of cool scenes in the family guy movie for some reason.

But more on the point - it costs money, and its great the default player can do that like you said.

BoyOfDestiny
November 3rd, 2005, 03:41 AM
VLC let's you do it nice an easy regardless of OS. As for getting that "purple" box or whatever, has to do with "overlay" I think.

Optimal Aurora
November 3rd, 2005, 03:43 AM
Yes I use PowerDVD is good at doing screen captures. For me what I like about Linux in general is the fact that everything is free or practically free, and that your get better games than you do in windows. What I like about Ubuntu is that it is so much more easier to use that the new fedora core 4 and allows you a good development environment, not counting its easier to install and upgrade.

aysiu
November 3rd, 2005, 04:03 AM
VLC let's you do it nice an easy regardless of OS. As for getting that "purple" box or whatever, has to do with "overlay" I think. I tried using VLC in Windows, and it kept crashing on me. That was over a year ago, though. Has the Windows version gotten more stable?

BoyOfDestiny
November 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
I tried using VLC in Windows, and it kept crashing on me. That was over a year ago, though. Has the Windows version gotten more stable?

I've been using it for a long time and have not had it crash... I guess if you are still on windows give .82 a go.

Malphas
November 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
The reason you can't take a screenshot in Windows is because almost all media players (including VLC) process the video through the hardware overlay (i.e. the graphics card), turning off the overlay is a piece of cake and takes about five seconds though, so it's not really a big deal (unless you're stupid enough to use WMP).