PDA

View Full Version : The Filesystems Survey 2008

samjh
July 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
There has been a few threads about which filesystem people use here. Most are quite old, and not in poll form.

So here it is: which filesystem do you use for your Linux installation? By this, I mean what is the filesystem you MOST PREFER for a general-purpose home Linux installation. Only filesystems supported by Ubuntu are listed.

An outline of reasons for your choice would be good too. It may help users who are trying to decide.

(This is a poll.)

[EDIT: My choices]

My current installation uses JFS. It is very efficient in CPU and memory usage, has good recovery rates from crashes, and has active Linux support from IBM's Linux Technology Centre.

The alternative I recommend is ext3. It is the default filesystem for many Linux distributions and the most widely-supported Linux filesystem in existance.

hessiess
July 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
ext3

diwas
July 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
ext3

HansKisaragi
July 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Ext3 på alle diskene mine.

FuturePilot
July 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I like Ext3. I can't wait for Ext4 :D

atomkarinca
July 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I used ext2 and ext3, couldn't tell any difference. Currently I'm using ext2 and very happy with it.

artir
July 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
ext3

beniwtv
July 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Using XFS both on my server and my laptop. Love it so far. And it's _fast_.

ibutho
July 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
For my desktops, its reiserfs and for servers ext3.

Dr Small
July 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ext3

ice60
July 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM
i've never bothered reading much about FS. i have had problems with ext3 once, so i'll go for ReiserFS as it's never given me any problems, eventhough i've no idea why i had inode errors with ext3 lol.

Reiser is having a bit of a bad time atm, he probably shouldn't have killed is wife :|

EDIT. you should put that solaris FS up there, is it called ZFS???

diwas
July 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Guys, 1 thing. Which one is latest and good?? Coz i remember while using windows (last year) i argued wid my frens that FAT32 is latest over NTFS. Hehe.
So i wud like to know, which one's good and latest.

cardinals_fan
July 9th, 2008, 08:24 PM
ZFS. OpenSolaris is awesome.

On Linux, Ext3.

Jammy4041
July 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ext3- it's the default and I don't really care about it- and I shouldn't have to. As long as it works I'm happy.

TBH, I hadn't even heard of XFS, JFS and Reiser FS, but when EXT4 comes out, it would be interesting to see how that works. I think Fedora supports it so it must be coming out soon.

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Ext 3.....Its a shame about the whole Reiser incident :( But murdering your wife just isn't cool. I'm sure most of you have probably seen this by now but hell: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronocdh/2651155110/sizes/o/ (ReiserFS 'Kills your wife')

kerry_s
July 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
i prefer jfs on mine, but sometimes i'll use ext2.

billgoldberg
July 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Reiser FS here, just to be different.

billgoldberg
July 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
ZFS. OpenSolaris is awesome.

On Linux, Ext3.

I've heared that zfs might come to linux.

But I also heared it hyped up quit a bit and isn't actually very useful on the desktop.

cardinals_fan
July 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
But I also heared it hyped up quit a bit and isn't actually very useful on the desktop.
Is it the ultimate salvation for all *nix users that will provide the flawless and perfect file system? No. Is it a cool file system to mess about with? Absolutely.

Chame_Wizard
July 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Ext3 FTW :guitar:

LaRoza
July 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
FAT32

What is the point of just posting what you use. That is the purpose of the poll.

Canis familiaris
July 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Mine:
/ ReiserFS ..for speed presumably
/home ext3 ..for reliability

Canis familiaris
July 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
FAT32

Are you joking?

sujoy
July 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
ext3 ... never used anything else.

bobbocanfly
July 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Ext3. Never had a problem with it and never found a reason to switch.

chucky chuckaluck
July 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM
FAT32

What is the point of just posting what you use. That is the purpose of the poll.

some of us despise polls.

the first time i had arch installed, i used xfs. this time, i'm using reiserfs. with xfs, everything seemed more or less the same speed. with reiser, pacman is way fast and so is my boot, but it takes longer for cplay to open up my music folders.

kpatz
July 9th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Most of my partitions are ext3, but the data partition on my MythTV box is JFS because it's more efficient for large files (esp. deleting).

ryaxnb
July 10th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I would PREFER ext4, looks very promising.:popcorn: but sadly lacking in availablity so far (I would use it if it were easy to get to, despite beta-ness.) I use ext2. (Compatibility reasons) Oh and I like FAT32 for real... so darn simple. UMSDOS FTW! :D

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Are you joking?

Off course, I already voted for what I use.

dracule
July 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM
are the speed differenced THAT much better?

also i think sabayon linux has ext4 by default.

articpenguin
July 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
All the filesystems have there special ways

XFS and JFS are the best with large file with XFS being slightly better

Reiserfs is best for tons of small files <4KB

ext3 well i dont know what its best at maybe nothing

In the end I think JFS is the best all around filesystem.

JFS XFS Reiserfs use B+ trees which help a lot in directorys with tons of files. Ext3 uses some simple Htree which is just a simplified version of a Btree since the ext3 devs feel a B+ tree compromises a filesystem if the tree corrupts.

YaroMan86
July 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I use reiserfs for my main partition, ext3 for my home partition.

ARhere
July 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So here it is: which filesystem do you use for your Linux installation? By this, I mean what is the filesystem you MOST PREFER for a general-purpose home Linux installation. Only filesystems supported by Ubuntu are listed.

Should have put FAT on your list. It is supported and there are a lot of installation configurations that use FAT as the main file system. (USB key is one example)

-AR