http://www.blogmanno.com/?q=node/26

nick09
July 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
One tip is to install firestarter.:)

ice60
July 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
i get this message -

Precondition Failed

We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /?q=node/26 on this server...

Ensure that your computer is free of viruses, Trojan horses, spyware or any other sort of malicious software.

lol :D

BigSilly
July 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
One tip is to install firestarter.:)

But I thought you didn't really need Firestarter. Isn't it just a GUI for Iptables...?

FuturePilot
July 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
But I thought you didn't really need Firestarter. Isn't it just a GUI for Iptables...?

Yes, but unless you know the somewhat confusing syntax of Iptables, you might find Firestarter easier.

BigSilly
July 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, but unless you know the somewhat confusing syntax of Iptables, you might find Firestarter easier.

I realise that, but I thought that Ubuntu shipped with all ports closed. I thought you didn't have to download anything extra. Ooh heck, I think I better get myself up to spec....:)

Greyed
July 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Firestarter schmirestarter, give me shorewall.

Vadi
July 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Gufw ftw: http://gufw.tuxfamily.org/

FuturePilot
July 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I realise that, but I thought that Ubuntu shipped with all ports closed. I thought you didn't have to download anything extra. Ooh heck, I think I better get myself up to spec....:)

Yes indeed it does ship with all ports closed,:) however there is no firewall policy in effect by default.

I don't think it's that big of a deal on a desktop though. I've never used Firestarter on my desktops and I've never had any issues. Though it's probably good practice to set up a firewall on a server.

Greyed
July 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Generally speaking the firewall should be on the router, not the desktops/servers sitting behind the firewall.