PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard problems with audio device - Ver. 8.04 - Sony Vaio VGN-AR31S

mrvaio
July 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm new here and I hope that somebody help me to solve my pc enigma. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR31S laptop. It is a big laptop, a desktop replacement.

On board it has Windows Vista and all perifericals works good. I am a developer and I need to install a linux distribution to work.

I have installed first of all Ubuntu using the wubi and the audio worked perfectly so, I thought to install seriously the Ubuntu in one of 2 my SCSI HD but at the login I can hear 3 welcome tamburine sound and the loop of any sound reproduced by the system.

I have updated all the system and I have updated the alsa drivers too but nothing.

I have spent 15 hours to solve this problem, these are the specifics of my sound card::

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

################################################## ################################################## #################################

lspci -v

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 81fd
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 4
Memory at d2300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

################################################## ################################################## #################################

modinfo soundcore
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
alias: char-major-14-*
license: GPL
author: Alan Cox
description: Core sound module
srcversion: 548AA54AF08207316C104F8
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.24-19-generic SMP mod_unload 586

#DMesg

[ 45.482558] [<f8c2c5c3>] snd_hda_codec_read+0x53/0x80 [snd_hda_intel]
[ 45.482575] [<f8c2ecbb>] snd_hda_codec_new+0xeb/0x530 [snd_hda_intel]
[ 45.482592] [<f8c2f987>] snd_hda_bus_new+0x97/0xf0 [snd_hda_intel]
[ 45.482609] [<f8c2b8a8>] azx_probe+0x818/0xb60 [snd_hda_intel]

$ asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards:
Intel
SAA7134

This is the card: Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

Furthermore if I can test the sound in the System -> Preferences -> Audio I can see this problem: http://imagebin.antiyes.com/images/0152808001215559496_46.png

I have talked with the #alsa, #ubuntu irc channel and no-one know this strange problem. :(

Anybody can help me?
Thanks
Mr.Vaio

mrvaio
July 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I reply to myself helping all the Windows users who wants become a Ubuntu users.

After hacking a little bit the system of alsa for about 21 hours I have decided to restore the windows o.s but test for the last time the way to use Ubuntu on the VGN-AR31S!

... Bingo! The problem is the normal installation of the Ubuntu O.S. there is a bug there. I'm sure!

I have installed again the Ubuntu 8.04 but this time by Wubi tool. All works as I told in the previous post. The audio is perfect!

Furthermore I have the windows installed and the Ubuntu in the virtual drive. Yes I know it is not the best solution but if the Ubuntu Community share this thread maybe someone can fix the official setup for the VGN-AR31S.

At the end I suggest to use the LVPM tool [http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html] to convert the virtual drive in real drive.

After 21 hours I can hear the music and begin to use the new version of the Ubuntu but a question comes in my mind: How many users spend their time to fix a problem that in Windows is not present? We are so near to share the Ubuntu in the home of the people and in the same time very far to a desktop solution. However thanks guys!

Mr. Vaio

Arschbohrung
July 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Mr Vaio

Same Laptop - Wubi install Ubuntu 8.04 - no problems with playback - works fine - BUT - problems with audio capture - Test sound - everything works except audio capture - This one momentarily starts with BEEP and then stops.

Interestingly, I had other funny problems with video. *.DAT extensions do not play with any player - VLC, Totem, gxine, mplayer etc., but *.avi works fine - however - one instance - picture displayed - inverted (literally) - mirror imaged (????!!!) any thoughts?

Mr Vaio

I forgot to say, I did too have some teething problems with audio devices but now things work though my "capture" remains as yet unrectified.

Ubuntu 8.04 kept me busy till 14:00 hrs last night(morning!) - a good workout though!

Cheers

mrvaio
July 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Arschbohrung,

yes some times the computers begun owner of our life!

Usually *.DAT extensions is not a video or audio file but archive like a zip file.

My laptop multimedia functions are about 50 but with ubuntu I can use only 5 or 6 functions.

Have you a Sony Vaio? If yes, which is your model?

Regards,
Mr.Vaio

Arschbohrung
July 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have the Sony VAIO desktop replacement VGN - AR 31S mate.

Arschbohrung
July 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
By *.DAT, I meant VCD. Did you try to play a VCD yet?

mrvaio
October 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
No I have not tried it yet.

The problem persists in the live cd too! :(