PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an Xbox 360?

NovaAesa
July 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Okay so here is the story:

I've been out of the computer gaming scene for a while now, and am thinking about heading back into it. I can't decide whether or not I should upgrade my desktop or go down the console road. Help me decide!

My PC specs are:

AMD 3200+ (1.7GHz)
1 GiB RAM
80 GB HDD
ATi Radeon X800XL
As you can see, it's a bit outdated.

Upgrade my PC:

would cost around 1300 AUD (getting a monitor as well)
Adv: The extra grunt will allow me to do other non-game things faster. Not that things are exactly slow now.
Con: I will have to install XP again. I'm not messing around with WINE because only older games tend to run well.

Get an Xbox:

would cost about 1100 AUD (getting a LCD tv as well)
Adv: Some of my friends have Xboxs, so there are plenty of games to swap around.
Adv: I have about 25 Xbox (back from 5 years back) games, so I will already have a heap of games to mess around with.
Adv: I won't have to upgrade it over it's lifetime (unlike a PC)
Adv: I really like the idea of keeping work (PC, I'm becoming a software engineer) and play (Xbox) separate.
Con: I don't like MS very much and aren't too keen on putting money in their pocket. Although at least it's not going towards a shoddy product like Vista. And yes, I do consider most of Xbox's major flaws to be ironed out.

And now to the type of games that I play. Most of them are RPGs and FPS. I don't like racing games, and I am impartial to RTS. I'm not put off by using thumbsticks for FPSs either (I know some people are). I hear that there are plenty of FPS on Xbox. This is the main reason I'm not considering a PS3, not many games on it that I would be into.

Also to address the issue of cost of new games. I do not consider the ability to 'obtain' PC games through the net an advantage. Over recent years I have decided to steer clear of pirating things in this way; it's not something that I will be doing. So games more or less cost the same for both platforms in my particular situation. Please don't discuss this particular issue, I don't want this thread to be closed.

So feel free to add more pros and cons, and remember to vote on the poll!

barbedsaber
July 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I will always consider the ps3 to be superior to the 360, but thats just me.
It sounds like getting a console is the way to go, just especially if you have friends with 360's.

NilsHG
July 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
It is a very good idea to keep work and gaming seperate!
It is hard for me to not start a round of Enemy Territory Quake Wars when I am bored instead of doing some serious work.

I have thought about getting a console aswell and get rid of games on my PC. Personally I would only consider a Nintendo WII. Reasons are: I cant stand gaming with pads, I really enjoy Wii controls. The gaming experience is entirely differnt. You are active while gaming and not just sitting on your butt.

Considering your pro/cons above I think you are better of getting the xbox, even though it almost hurts me to say that.

gn2
July 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
A decent console and a decent general purpose non-gaming PC together are cheaper than a good gaming PC and you won't have to keep buying graphics card and other upgrades to keep playing the latest titles.

But the 360 is built from cheese, get a PS3, far better reliability.

HansKisaragi
July 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Get a Xbox 360, you wont regret it .. Iv had mine for 1 1/2 year now and i love it to death.

Also if you get a 360, you gotta get "Battlefield Bad Company" .. FPS of the year!

Ehh? .. Fanboy? .. PS3 is overprized and very much lack of games compared to the 360

gn2
July 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ehh? .. Fanboy? .. PS3 is overprized and very much lack of games compared to the 360

Nope, not a fan boy I've never used either console, but the evidence is all around of the 360's notorious unreliability.

mr.propre
July 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM
It all depends, I used to be a console user but over the few years I returned to PC because I rather play PC games like WOW.

The disadvantage is the price, but its overrated. My computer runs now on an 5 year old CPU and a 3 year old graphic card. I need to admit that its time to replace the CPU, but for most games I still can play them in descent quality with my 3 year old graphic card.

What is another thing for me, I'm not looking for ultimate graphic, I find that don't need to evolve further.

And people pleace don't turn this in a console war thereat, it's not what NovaAesa has asked for.

rolnics
July 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I would go with the Xbox as your mates have one already. But I've been a playstation guys since it first came out, although I'm really tempted to get an Xbox this time. It's currently cheaper than the PS3 depending out what version of 360, by anything upto £100 (approx 207 AUD). Which would buy a couple of extra games to get me started. And also beings the PS3(40gb version) isn't backward compatible it doesn't make much difference!

I'd better start saving up for . . . . . :confused::confused:

NovaAesa
July 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
but the evidence is all around of the 360's notorious unreliability.
I read a bit about it on Wikipeda just then and it paints a pretty gloomy picture regarding reliability. Can anyone post a good source for this, or even better a personal testimony?

btw, keep the comments coming =]

Canis familiaris
July 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Unless If you REALLY want to play games like Halo 3 or Gears of War (or any other XboX 360 eXclusive games), buy an XboX else buy a PS3.

barbedsaber
July 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I heard about someone who added liquid cooling to their Xbox,

!!!

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Am not anti-xbox

but i would really consider a PS3

1. less likely too die out on you (3 rings of death)

2. Has better hardware. The life of xbox 360 is stimated at 4 or 5 years, while the PS3 goes up 8 years (infact in the first 5 years ps3 games will not push it to the limit, while xbox360 games are already near their limit)

3. Integrated Blu-Ray (for the extra cash is worth it, will be standard in a year or 2)

4. Not playing ? well install Ubuntu on it, use it as a guess computer (full 3d functionality should work soon)

5. Games are catching up, in fact the best PS2 games are already having their upcoming releases exclusive in the PS3

6. lots of FPS to hit the PS3 this year and for RPG's it will be the platform of choice.

7. Free online gaming. Xbox live basic non-premium is like $79.00 a year.

for the price PS3 > Xbox

Xbox is just a toy while ps3 is an entertainment center + second pc.

Unless you're a big HALO fan i don't recommend getting xbox

i don't have a problem of people who already got one, but IMHO is not worth the $$ and like you said you will be supporting MS just for a few games.

Instead of focusing on their console like sony, they are already planning on the xbox530. The original xbox is a lot more powerful than the PS2, but it had zero support after the 360 hit the market.

so think about it.

check here for the top upcoming games:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/618/618430p1.html

and a trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/223989.html

http://www.visualbeta.es/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ps3_linux.jpg

http://1mangroup.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/playstation_3.jpg

xbox360 version is launching about 8 months later of the ps3 version

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51801piTYKL._AA280_.jpg

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/images/ps3_ff13_display.jpg

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM
It is a very good idea to keep work and gaming seperate!
It is hard for me to not start a round of Enemy Territory Quake Wars when I am bored instead of doing some serious work.

Dude, Your a genius! I never actually thought about it till now but whenever I'm about to do something important on my computer I always end up playing a 'few' rounds of Alien Arena. Guess I should start saving up for a console or something.....

Also to the poster of this thread, get a 360 I've played a bunch of 360 games and there awesome;)

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Am not anti-xbox

2. Has better hardware. The life of xbox 360 is stimated at 4 or 5 years, while the PS3 goes up 8 years (infact in the first 5 years ps3 games will not push it to the limit, while xbox360 games are already near their limit)

3. Integrated Blu-Ray (for the extra cash is worth it, will be standard in a year or 2)

4. Not playing ? well install Ubuntu on it, use it as a guess computer

5. Games are catching up, in fact the best PS2 games are already having their upcoming releases exclusive in the PS3

6. lots of FPS to hit the PS3 this year and for RPG's it will be the platform of choice.

7. Free online gaming. Xbox live non-premium is like $79 a year.

for the price PS3 > Xbox

i don't have a problem of people who already got one, but IMHO is not worth the $$ and like you said you will be supporting MS just for a few games.

Instead of focusing on their console like sony, they are already planning on the xbox530. The original xbox is a lot more powerful than the PS2, but it had zero support after the 360 hit the market.

so think about it.

and a trailer

Man what are you talkin about 360 kills PS3;)

NovaAesa
July 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Halo 3 is a must. GoW and GoWII are also a must, hence the reason I am looking between PC and Xbox. I have a feeling that GoWII and Halo3 will be out on PC eventually though. Not so sure they will ever be out on PS3.

Thanks for the input majdr. I won't got a PS3 though. The lure of running Ubuntu on it isn't a big one though. I already have a laptop (my main PC) and a desktop as well (my secondary PC, the one I am thinking of upgrading).

I'm looking into the current situation with Xbox cooling issues. I heard from a friend that those with the Falcon chip don't have issues?

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not to sure about the cooling issues thing I would have thought that the xbox360 is pretty sturdy at this stage. The important thing to take note of is that a pricedrop looks like its coming really soon (might of already been announced, I really don't know though)

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Am not anti-xbox

4. Not playing ? well install Ubuntu on it, use it as a guess computer (full 3d functionality should work soon)

7. Free online gaming. Xbox live basic non-premium is like $79.00 a year.

for the price PS3 > Xbox

so think about it.

and a trailer

+10000 To that whole thing. I would like to emphasize the hardware and free online gaming points. The PS3 has eight total cores, while the 360 only has 3. The Cell's 6 smaller processor are great because they are designed to perform small tasks VERY fast, like calculating speeds, directions, etc. while the 2 larger ones perform heavier tasks for great power.
I would suggest adding PS3 to your poll... see what people say. :popcorn:

PS. PS3 looks AMAZING in HD... get an HDMI or component cable.

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Halo 3 is a must. GoW and GoWII are also a must, hence the reason I am looking between PC and Xbox. I have a feeling that GoWII and Halo3 will be out on PC eventually though. Not so sure they will ever be out on PS3.

Thanks for the input majdr. I won't got a PS3 though. The lure of running Ubuntu on it isn't a big one though. I already have a laptop (my main PC) and a desktop as well (my secondary PC, the one I am thinking of upgrading).

I'm looking into the current situation with Xbox cooling issues. I heard from a friend that those with the Falcon chip don't have issues?

Bungee games and Microsoft have split. Halo will soon be available for PS3. :popcorn::popcorn: Not sure about GoWII though...

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Bungee games and Microsoft have split. Halo will soon be available for PS3. :popcorn::popcorn: Not sure about GoWII though...

cool !!

about time

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
cool !!

about time

:popcorn:

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
but on top of my list am getting a ps3 for this:

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ff13.jpg

:guitar:

thedon_1
July 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Get the xbox, you won't regret it, especially if you like online gaming.

This talk of the XBOX reaching it's limit and the PS3 being so much more powerful is complete rubbish.

A lot of people assume because the PS3 came out later it's better, but in actuality it was a year late because Blu ray problems, not a year improved.

When comparing multi platform games such as Rainbow 6 vegas, Orange box, GTA 4, they are all superior on the 360.

Another thing you don't have to worry about with the 360 is installing games and demos before you can play, something you have to do with the PS3.

The 360 has it's red ring problem, but you can just take it to the shop and get a replacement or get it fixed for free (MS cover the fault for 3 years free).

The PS3 has good things like a blu ray player and ability to install Linux but as a games machine it really isn't that good.

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
The PS3 has good things like a blu ray player and ability to install Linux but as a games machine it really isn't that good.

yet...

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
yet...

It already is! :popcorn:

intense.ego
July 9th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I have an Xbox 360 (and a wii but that is not relevant), but if I could choose again, I would have gotten a PS3.

Sure, the 360 has better games and more of them, but the PS3 also has good games (including exclusives like the upcoming Final Fantasy and cross-platform games like GTA4) and there are enough of them for me.

The PS3 also includes wi-fi by default (no extra cost like the 360), blu-ray, a larger hard drive, and the ability to install linux.

Also, I have just recently experienced the Red Ring of Death (RROD) and have had to send it in for repairs. Although the warranty for this issue is 3 or 4 years, i can't remember, and so it is free, it is still a pain when it happens.

If it is between the 360 and the PC, I would get a 360, especially in your case, for several reasons.

Firstly, i agree with you about seperating work and play. Secondly, if you have decided to go back to gaming, then you want to have something where games work instantly - no installation (well, the PS3 has installation on some games), no fiddling with drivers, framerates, patches, etc.

paul101
July 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I read a bit about it on Wikipeda just then and it paints a pretty gloomy picture regarding reliability. Can anyone post a good source for this, or even better a personal testimony?

btw, keep the comments coming =]

btw, the fans on the xbox 360 can get really LOUD and the box produces allot of heat (keep in well ventilated place)

if you do get a 360, get the elite because:

a). it has a bigger hard drive (120gb)
b). (apparently) theyve phased out the 3 red lights of death
c). the black colour looks cooooool
d). comes with hdmi as standard
e). the fans are quiet(er)

nick09
July 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
eh ps3 user right here...

I have played GT5P and my jaw drops when I play that game. Its just too realistic for the mortal eyes when you use HDMI. An a average of 200,000 polygons of graphics on each car including cockpit view.=P~

Go see the videos that I have made of the GT5P:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYfduZ7vrY

That Corvette is so hard to control at turns.:guitar:

artir
July 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
PC is better. One word: CRYSIS.

verb3k
July 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Either get a PC or a PS3, MS doesn't support its generations for long, not to mention the defective hardware of the 360.

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM

They 'split' but the Halo IP is still exclusive to Microsoft:( Thats why theres no Halo for linux:(

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM
They 'split' but the Halo IP is still exclusive to Microsoft:( Thats why theres no Halo for linux:(

Doh! My bad...

Icehuck
July 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have a 360 and a PS3 and I love them both. However, if you want to play online alot, the 360 is better in this regard. Xbox Live is a great service which really just whips the crap out of the Playstation Network. You have a much bigger selection of game demos, promo movies, themes, and better friend interaction. Though the PS3 is slowly starting to get better in this regard and possibly in a year or two will catch up.

Honestly, since I got this round of consoles I haven't used my desktop for gaming in over a year. Which sadly means I never turn it on since I do my work related projects on my laptop. Consoles are really starting to put a damper on PC gaming and the PC gaming industry is starting decline.

thedon_1
July 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I have a 360 and a PS3 and I love them both. However, if you want to play online alot, the 360 is better in this regard. Xbox Live is a great service which really just whips the crap out of the Playstation Network. You have a much bigger selection of game demos, promo movies, themes, and better friend interaction. Though the PS3 is slowly starting to get better in this regard and possibly in a year or two will catch up.

Honestly, since I got this round of consoles I haven't used my desktop for gaming in over a year. Which sadly means I never turn it on since I do my work related projects on my laptop. Consoles are really starting to put a damper on PC gaming and the PC gaming industry is starting decline.

I used to play a lot of games on my PC especially online. Now with the 360 and Xbox live the only pc game i have played in the last few years is World in Conflict.

mister_doctor
July 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Con: I don't like MS very much and aren't too keen on putting money in their pocket.

Then don't. Buy a used one. Money goes into someone elses pocket instead of Microsoft.

As for games? well if you don't care about being on the bleeding egde of the newest releases, but those used as well. I'm assuming Aussies have game shops that sell used games.

I've saved hundreds by buying my 360 off a friend, and taking advantage of local used game sales.

ukripper
July 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
xbox 360 all the way mate!!!Especially BIOSHOCK rocks on it

dukebytes
July 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I have an xBox that I purchased about 2 years ago... I have yet to play one game on my PC since I got the xBox.

I am not a HUGE gamer by any means - but - I have put in hours on a sat or sun playing morrowind / marvel alliance / halo etc...

The controller is SO much nicer than the keyboard. You dont need a killer PC (that will be outdated 6 mins after you build it anyway).

And the games are made for the xBox or PS3 or whatever. They are specific for the hardware, can't beat that.

I plan on getting a Wii next - ya know for the kids :)

Hope this helps - Duke

BDNiner
July 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM

I don't think so. I had 3 PS1s and 2 PS2s before i gave up on sony. And that does not include the TV, Walkman, and stereo that all crapped out on me. Also they all crapped out withing 2 months of the warranty ending. So my experiences have led me to stay away from anything Sony makes.

Dharmachakra
July 9th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Well, if you're as geeky as I am, you could buy an Xbox360 and add your own cooling immediately. I'd recommend against that thought because it completely voids the warranty. :(

In my experience, the Xbox360 has a better online service and game selection but the PS3 rocks it in every other department. Having said that, I've never actually regretted forking over the money for a 360 instead of a PS3.

If you have the money, I would go with the PC, just because I love a keyboard and mouse.

gn2
July 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Well, if you're as geeky as I am, you could buy an Xbox360 and add your own cooling immediately. I'd recommend against that thought because it completely voids the warranty. :(

Unless it's one of these which clip on outside and plug in to a USB port: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/16035.htm?referer=FR

Twitch6000
July 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I will always consider the ps3 to be superior to the 360, but thats just me.
It sounds like getting a console is the way to go, just especially if you have friends with 360's.

What he said =].Timeshift anyone?

ukripper
July 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Halo series worth xbox360 and ultimate GRAW:guitar: (windows version is also there). But i guess graphics aree far superior on xbox360 for the price you get . Graphics card for PC with this kind of effects are expensive.

Le-Froid
July 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Although I just had my xbox 360 repaired, shipped back, then 2 days later broken again, I recommend getting the 360. Amazing games for it, Live is awesome, and Halo 3.

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
xbox 360 all the way mate!!!Especially BIOSHOCK rocks on it

there's already a ps3 version being done with lots of improvements and less bugs than the PC/xbox version

BioShock is expected to hit PS3 in October with as-yet-unspecified new features and content..

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53449

Jim!
July 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Why do both systems have to be so good:( Well since it looks like the OP has no intention on getting a PS3 (Poll is between 360 and PS3) I still recommend he wait till E3 is over so that he knows just whats coming to all the available platforms....Farout this thread has got me really hyped on the gaming scene again!:D

NovaAesa
July 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Well, looks like I should got an Xbox then. Sorry to all the PS3 fans, but I'm steering clear of a PS3. Now I just have to work out which game I'm getting first. I'm thinking either GoW, Halo3, or GTA4.

Jim!
July 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Well If your planning to play online then all three of those games are great choices, but Halo 3 is a good starting place;)

dracule
July 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I love my 360, and i play it quite a bit more than my PS3 (by quite a bit i mean i dont turn my ps3 on except to play MGS4 i would more often by online sucks on PS).

But if you are not going to get LIVE, i would not get a 360.

thedon_1
July 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Well, looks like I should got an Xbox then. Sorry to all the PS3 fans, but I'm steering clear of a PS3. Now I just have to work out which game I'm getting first. I'm thinking either GoW, Halo3, or GTA4.

Can't go wrong with either of those. You may want to consider Call of duty 4. One of the best console FPS's. Also the new battlefield has some really good multiplayer.

HansKisaragi
July 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM

You could consider Bad Company and CoD4 .. the two best fps games iv played.

Caveageman
July 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
i would suggest call of duty 2 its longer than cod4 and better story line and its cheaper : )

ukripper
July 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM

i recommend BIOSHOCK if you like Halo3 you surely would enjoy that.

ukripper
July 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
i would suggest call of duty 2 its longer than cod4 and better story line and its cheaper : )

COD2 is the only game I ever finished after Halo2, it is so much exciting.

COD4 has much better dimesion to it with real feeling.

madjr
July 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM

darn almost had you :(

nah j/k

i already knew you were going with a 360 since you had an original xbox.

since i had a ps2 no one can really convince me of going other wise :p

anyway what's your main reason of getting the 360 instead of the PC?

you should give your conclusions.

ukripper
July 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Obvious reasons, value for money!

You can get whole console compared to 1 high end graphics card.

And choice of games on Xbox 360 is superior than PS3 with better online gaming experience with Xbox live and games like GOW.

NovaAesa
July 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM

you should give your conclusions.

Basically, I was tied between a PC or Xbox, and the poll indicates Xbox. Also, I just realised that my desktop should now not need upgrading for a very long time as it does everything perfectly apart from gaming.

NovaAesa
July 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Okay, here's an update on the situation:

I headed down to EB games today and got my shiny new Xbox. I ended up getting the Elite Gamer's Edition (the black one). It came with GoW, Halo3, and Saints Row. I would have picked up a TV as well but I don't have a car and so had to walk there and back (about 2km each direction). I might head down there tomorrow if I get a chance to get a TV.