PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Help Reinstalling Gnome

kaola_linux
July 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hi everyone, if ever you'll be reading this post I just wanna say thanks in advance...:)

Recently I have my Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 System all up for the pass few days, I have all the apps I want and the customizations I loved...

Yesterday after a restart my system is broken..
[Symptoms]

1. Gnome-panel doesn't appear on start up, tried the
gnome-panel command on the terminal but it wont appear an error shows up after.

2. Can't access the other users (I was hoping i can just add a new user and everything will be fine and I even tried creating a new user on the terminal but to no luck either).

3. I can't see my windows partition anymore, before I can access it but now no more...

4. My video card driver uninstalled all of the sudden but I do know how to compile it again anyway...

5. Still I can't discover others...:)

All of this things happened when I installed the glib (Source) from http://www.gtk.org/ because I want to install XMMS but to no luck anyway hence my system got broken...To bad if I can't fix this coz I'll have to reinstall I guess...Pls help me pls pls...thanks...Anyone having the similar problem also???:confused:

If you want, I'll try to give a screenshot when I get back at my place...

stats
July 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
xmms is there in the repo.
you probably broke a something by compiling glib from source.
anyway you could try reistalling ubuntu-desktop.

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-desktop

kaola_linux
July 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
xmms is there in the repo.
you probably broke a something by compiling glib from source.
anyway you could try reistalling ubuntu-desktop.

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-desktop

I've compiled it because I want to have the latest version...I've tried sudo apt-get install xmms but it was not there guess I didn't add it on the software sources. But I'm too late already, my desktop is broken...Tried your code but nothing happened...:(