PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shifting Gutsy from one HDD to another

Horza
July 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I used Acronis DD to shift a gutsy installation from one HDD to two partitions in another (one for the system, one for the swap) that has Win2000 as its main OS, and then installed Hardy into that. The grub that Hardy installed finds Win2000, Hardy and Gutsy, and installs the first two correctly, but for gutsy, the start screen displays and then freezes.

The filesystem for the gutsy installation is there and navigable by hardy; I edited the fstab to:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

which is where (and what) gparted seems to think the gutsy installation files are.

So what could be going wrong here? Using Acronis rather than gparted? Some idiotic error in the fstab?

One factoid is that Hardy's grub wants to label the partisions sdaX instead of hdaX; I've tried various obvious combinations of names without success.

The reason for doing all this is that there's a lot of stuff in the gutsy installation that I want to keep using as a transfer the functionality to hardy, which will take some time.

Thanks

mikewhatever
July 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I believe both Hardy and Gutsy label partitions as sdX. To see why the boot process freezes, remove the splash screen by editing the appropriate line in GRUB's menu.lst. Just delete 'splash' at the end of the line and reboot.

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXX ro quiet splash

logos34
July 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Just to add to what mikewhatever suggested, you might also change your Gutsy fstab to UUID format also, to avoid any confusion when you boot into gutsy and the system tries to mount the partitions, because Hardy and usually (but not always) Gutsy see ide drives as scsi devices ('sdx'). (More here on the changeover to the libata scsi storage driver (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/libata-for-all-ata-disks)). Your Gutsy is like mine was, i.e. still sees ide as 'hdx', but something may have changed have happened since the copy.

e.g.:

sudo blkid

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx ro splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
quiet(or whatever gutsy kernel version you're using)

and gutsy fstab:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hda3
UUID=xxx-xxxx-xxxx- xxx / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/hda5
UUID=xxx-xxxx-xxxx- xxx none swap sw 0 0If it still freezes, then the issue is elsewhere. Maybe run fsck on gutsy sda3 from the live cd.

Horza
July 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Bingo! grub had somehow misidentified the partition in menu.lst, so when I substituted the uuid gotten by the blkid command (same in gutsy livecd or working hardy), it worked.

Thanks very much!