PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Really Slow Sound (Everywhere, every program)

kestal
July 9th, 2008, 03:34 AM
So I wanted to set up a nice sound system the other day, I set it up and ran it through Windows XP and it worked great! I was so happy and giddy, that I wanted to try it on Linux.

I boot up the pc and at the point of entering the username and password I turn up the sound to hear the chime and it is stretched out an extra 15 seconds and the pitch seems a lot lower. I checked the actual soundcard and saw this on the chip, "Creative CT5880"

Immediately, I rebooted and disabled the onboard sound through bios so changing the preferences would be less guess work on the sound but none of the options worked. I made sure that the sound itself was not plugged into the onboard sound but my sound card. -_-;

As for the updates installed, I pretty much tried to include everything I could with no luck.

The sound at startup/shutdown, programs, websites, all of it... the sound is extremely slow unfortunetely :(

Any suggestions?

Edit: I Mean, my onboard works perfectly fine, but my onboard doesn't have a center/sub so I could hook up a 5.1+sub woofer. -_-;

Bungo Pony
July 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
That's a really unusual problem. I've heard of sound being choppy, scratchy, distorted or non-existant, but not at a lower pitch.

If sound is playing at a different pitch, it may be playing at the incorrect frequency. For example, if you play a 44,100 Hz wav file at 22,050 Hz, it will play slower. I'm not sure if you can change the default frequency for which ALL software plays sounds. Might be worth having a look on google.

kestal
July 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Agreed. I cant seem to find how to change system frequency anywhere. -_-;; However, I am kind of new to Linux. It also crackles/screeches a lot, too. -_-

Is there any way for me to change the overall system sample rate? or to begin with, how to even check my sample rate?