View Full Version : [xubuntu] Laptop stuck at 'loading manual drivers'

madchaz
July 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Hey all.

Old laptop
P2 266Mhz
192Mgs of ram

An old dell latitude.

Used to run gentoo + xfce on it, but compiling updates was taking waaaaay too long, so figured I would switch to xubuntu.

Unfortunatly, after install, when I boot the machine, it will hang at 'loading manual drivers' and never go further. If I press ctrl+alt+del, it will spew some errors and then try to start cups. I have to do so again to get it to reboot completly.

I must admit, I am kind of baffled. Anyone as an idea of where to start looking? the FS is still read-only at that point, so no log.

redsky73
May 13th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I have the exact same problem on a similarly configured machine running xubuntu 9.04.

Did you ever come up with a solution?

agathian
May 13th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Try running dmesg after you login.. may be it would show the full boot up messages including the errors

gwilson
May 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM
My hand is up, as well. I have a Toshiba laptop with 192k and 400 MHz and get 'loading manual drivers' after several attempted installs using Jackalope alternate install disk for straight Gnome Ubuntu. Also tried recovery and expert mode install without success. Earlier versions have always installed, and then I tweaked them to run acceptably for what I need.

Any ideas? I never get near to a login screen.