PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] can't get Nvidia 7600gs working...boots in low-graphics mode

hoozey
July 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
After a fresh install of hardy, ubuntu boots into low-graphics mode saying that my graphics card and monitor can't be detected. No matter what I try, I can't get the Nvidia drivers to work. I've tried just enabling them in System > Administration > Hardware Driver. Unsuccessful. I've tried downloading from Nvidia's website and installing them. Unsuccessful. I've tried envy. Unsuccessful again. I can't get my screen resolution past 800x600 because of this so my machine isn't very usable. The video works in vista, so I know it's not a hardware problem. How should I try to fix this?

overdrank
July 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
After a fresh install of hardy, ubuntu boots into low-graphics mode saying that my graphics card and monitor can't be detected. No matter what I try, I can't get the Nvidia drivers to work. I've tried just enabling them in System > Administration > Hardware Driver. Unsuccessful. I've tried downloading from Nvidia's website and installing them. Unsuccessful. I've tried envy. Unsuccessful again. I can't get my screen resolution past 800x600 because of this so my machine isn't very usable. The video works in vista, so I know it's not a hardware problem. How should I try to fix this?

Hi and have you tried using the nvidia settings to adjust your resolution?
Use the alt, F2 keys and enter
gksu nvidia-settings
If you do not have nvidia settings installed you can search and install via synaptic manager.

hoozey
July 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hi and have you tried using the nvidia settings to adjust your resolution?

Yes, but whenever I run nvidia-settings it says that I am not running the nvidia driver...

overdrank
July 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yes, but whenever I run nvidia-settings it says that I am not running the nvidia driver...

Ok what was the error when you try to install the nvidia driver that you downloaded from the nvidia site. You may have to install build essentials also to help with the installation of that driver.

hoozey
July 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I installed build-essentials before i tried the official nvidia driver. I don't even get an error message when installing it either. It seems to be successful and then when I reboot it starts in low graphics mode anyway.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when installing the official nvidia driver, it says it couldn't find a matching kernel interface from the nvidia ftp site and that it would have to create its own kernel interface. The rest of the installation seems to work fine though...

overdrank
July 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Ok then you should see the nvidia splash when booting and you stated that when using the nvidia setting it say you do not appear to be using the nvidia drivers. Is this the same after the manual install also?

hoozey
July 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, it says this after manual install, too. And I don't see the nvidia splash. I can install the driver just fine but it never actually loads when I restart.

hoozey
July 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
bump?

mc4man
July 14th, 2008, 03:27 AM
If you want to use the restricted drivers (nvidia-glx-new) maybe i can help you out. (just set up an install with that card a couple of hrs. ago)
I'd need to know the make and model of your monitor

overdrank
July 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM
If you want to use the restricted drivers (nvidia-glx-new) maybe i can help you out. (just set up an install with that card a couple of hrs. ago)
I'd need to know the make and model of your monitor

Hi mc4man, I believe the issue is the same for other that having issue of the nvidia driver not installing properly. If you read the op post you will see it gives the error of not using the nvidia drivers even after attempting to install manually.

mc4man
July 14th, 2008, 04:32 AM
well i've found that most times you can get around that by using screens and graphics to create an xorg.conf for you. You do need to either find your monitor in there or from a little research one with the same specs. What your looking for is an xorg with this heading

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.

There's no pat way to take it from there, but usually a couple of restarts, some editing in xorg and maybe a round robin between screens.... and enabling restricted... takes care of it.
I'm fairly confident his setup could be made right

overdrank
July 14th, 2008, 04:33 AM
well i've found that most times you can get around that by using screens and graphics to create an xorg.conf for you. You do need to either find your monitor in there or from a little research one with the same specs. What your looking for is an xorg with this heading

There's no pat way to take it from there, but usually a couple of restarts, some editing in xorg and maybe a round robin between screens.... and enabling restricted... takes care of it.
I'm fairly confident his setup could be made right

Agreed :)

mc4man
July 14th, 2008, 04:56 AM
And while there is no set way I have found that if at all possible it's best not to set the graphics card in screens and graphics and never test the settings. Also if things work out, in terms of compiz and advanced desktop effects stay far away from preferences -> appearance -> visual effects. Installing ccsm and setting from advanced desktop effects settings is best and safest.

@ hoozey
Did the first boot after your install put you into low graphics mode or was it at any point afterwards? Can you boot up without getting a low graphics message? This can make a difference in approach.
If you've only booted into low graphics mode from the start it's likely you'll need to go into failsafe mode to fix things. Just thought I'd mention because the resolution is worse than low graphics and you start thinking ****, what have I done.

hoozey
July 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Did the first boot after your install put you into low graphics mode or was it at any point afterwards? Can you boot up without getting a low graphics message? This can make a difference in approach.
If you've only booted into low graphics mode from the start it's likely you'll need to go into failsafe mode to fix things. Just thought I'd mention because the resolution is worse than low graphics and you start thinking ****, what have I done.

No, it didn't put me in low-graphics mode at first boot, but the screen resolution was only 800x600 and I couldn't enable desktop effects. Once I installed the NVidia driver, it started booting in low-graphics mode.

mc4man
July 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
No, it didn't put me in low-graphics mode at first boot,
Great, hopefully this should be easy.
I'll be back home about 5;30 pm est. What would be extremely useful is the make and model of your monitor (look on back plate if need be.)
Also go into synaptic, search nvidia, and see what's installed, just need the names not versions (don't remove any installed packages yet)
Also run
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf so we can see your present xorg
! From this point on don't go into preferences -> appearance -> visual effects for any reason and as prev. noted you'll decline any prompt to test new settings.

brokenLockpick
July 14th, 2008, 09:55 PM
out of curiosity are you using a dvi cable? There was an earlier thread about someone with a 7900 who had all sorts of issues but ended up trying a vga cable (as his monitor would take either). If I remember correctly, that particular monitor was for whatever reason not able to send the EDID info through a dvi cable. I actually use the monitor in question rosewill R913J and a 7800GT and have had all sorts of problems. I just waiting on a vga cable to see if that sorts it out (I stupidly gave all of mine away).

hoozey
July 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Wow, I feel like a total noob. Turns out the video card wasn't plugged in to the power supply. I plugged it in and it works fine now :)
I've been using vista and thought it would have told me, because back when I was using XP I remember it would give me a little notification that my graphics card wasn't plugged in and didn't have enough power.

Oh well, I'm just happy it works now! Thanks for your help guys :)