PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ran apt-get upgrade and now I cannot boot

jaden403
July 9th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I am currently running the latest release Ubuntu and ran apt-get to make sure everything was up-to-date. I turned my machine off and came back to it a few days later. The problem is that now I cannot boot.

I can get as far as the GUI trying to load, but then everything stops. At first I thought that maybe it was my monitor, but I can boot into command mode. Now I am thinking that maybe it is a problem with my video card. I say this because it appears that my machine is booting, even though there is no display. If I start hitting buttons I can hear the "drum-roll" through the speakers - the same sound you get when you enter an incorrect login password.

So, my question is, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what the problem might be, if it is indeed a problem with the video card?

Thanks.

upchucky
July 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM
xorg.conf needs to be redone, the upgrade poooched it, you may be lucky and be able to get settings from the backed up xorg that upgrade made.

jaden403
July 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the response.

A few minutes ago I tried - on a whim - to simply type in my username and password, even though the screen was black. The crazy thing is that it loaded the GUI fine and all is working well. Of course, I know this is hardly a solution, but what exactly does this mean? Does this relate to xorg.conf?