PDA

View Full Version : Python, PyGTK, and Django

chris062689
July 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
That's mostly what I want to use Python for.
Developing PyGTK applications the community can use, and use Django for webframework / webpage design.

I think for my first project I'm going to make a small temperature monitor program...

Though, Python isn't really used in businesses is it?
I would love to make money (rather not freelance); but there just isn't any jobs for it in corperate offices... :confused:

I always run my development programs in a Virtual Machine; regarless of already running Ubuntu; just in case :)

What have your experineces been with python, pygtk, etc.

arist0tle
July 9th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Python's not bad. I find PyGame pretty easy (and fun) to use. But......as a Perl programmer, I find it a bit restrictive. I dont think that Python is a career-building language (sorry folks, I know that pbly hurts....don't mean it to) but it is definitely a plus on a resume. It depends on what you want to do. I would say that dynamic languages are pbly most popular for the web and sysadmin. If you want to do web stuff....go with PHP, Perl, or Ruby (and some Python). I like Perl the best obviously. Java is pretty big on the web....compiled though. I like programming in Java but that's about it. It has neither the speed, flexibility, nor platform-specific support that I would want for a desktop language. I might get flamed on some of these opinions but hey.....I love Ubuntu.....so have some mercy on me. When it comes down to it IMHO, no language can (yet) compete with what CPAN offers me in terms of productivity and reusable code. (maybe that statement is a bit redundant. Cheers

pmasiar
July 9th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Perl is strong but on the way out (sorry if it hurts :-) ). Ruby was hot 3 years ago with Rails but Python is more than competitive with Django and Turbogears. So there :-)

Python jobs are of course more rare than C# and Java - because only smart companies use Python :-) which are minority. Look for jobs at python.org mailing list. But Python jobs tend to be in small companies not taken over by bureaucrats who need above-average productivity to stay ahead of competition. And NASA and Google :-)