PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Safe to update kernel??

Grone1985
July 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM
So I updated the kernel last week and got my wireless messed up (on a Dell Inspiron 1501, Hardy 64 with a Broadcom card) and in order to fix it I had to reinstall Ubuntu clean and now I'm wondering if I should or not update the kernel again because I don't know if the bug got fixed... Is it?

Is it safe to update my kernel yet or should I wait until a future update can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

roquefilipe
July 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I didn't you use the older kernel? It should continued to work.

iaculallad
July 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
So I updated the kernel last week and got my wireless messed up (on a Dell Inspiron 1501, Hardy 64 with a Broadcom card) and in order to fix it I had to reinstall Ubuntu clean and now I'm wondering if I should or not update the kernel again because I don't know if the bug got fixed... Is it?

Is it safe to update my kernel yet or should I wait until a future update can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

You shouldn't have done the clean install. Haven't you seen your older Kernel displayed on your GRUB menu at bootup? Upgrading to newer kernel version would still leave your old kernel on your GRUB menu, giving you the option of booting from the old kernel just in case the newer kernel messed up your system.

Grone1985
July 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM
You shouldn't have done the clean install. Haven't you seen your older Kernel displayed on your GRUB menu at bootup? Upgrading to newer kernel version would still leave your old kernel on your GRUB menu, giving you the option of booting from the old kernel just in case the newer kernel messed up your system.

Yes, I did see them... and tried them but none of them work... I had all the list from the 24-16 all the way to the 24-19 something... and none of them worked... so that's why I'm asking if its safe to update the kernel now... Any thoughts on that?

iaculallad
July 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Yes, I did see them... and tried them but none of them work... I had all the list from the 24-16 all the way to the 24-19 something... and none of them worked... so that's why I'm asking if its safe to update the kernel now... Any thoughts on that?

If all of Inspiron's component/hardware are working quite well with you're current kernel version, then, there's no need for your to update your kernel.