PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive terror day!

len1x
July 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
What's up,
I'd like to share a story with all of you guys... I had my case open from both sides today, and I had a big *** bottle of water over my desk.. Forgetting that it's there, I hitted it while standing up with my elbow, it fell near my case and spilled some water over my 500 gigas hard drive.. my pc hanged.. no water touched the mobo, but one of my hard drives took most of the water.

Got the hard drive out, tried to dry it etc with cool air.. no luck! I thought that I have to bite the bullet. I thought it died.

I hanged the hard drive like laundry infront of some big *** fan, went out for some coffee etc...

Just came back home, tried to plug it in, and guess what.. It got recognized in bios ( and the best part that ubuntu booted :P )... Now I'm back and running.

I'm really happy my disk didn't die, thanks god :)

Ozor Mox
July 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm amazed you got it working again! A similar thing happened to me the other day when I left my 1 GB USB flash drive in my jeans pocket after they went in for a wash, and found it in the laundry basket afterwards. Luckily there was nothing important on it. Plugged it in expecting either nothing or some kind of device error message, and it works perfectly! Though I don't expect it to last all that long now.

LeoSolaris
July 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
The flash drive will probably be all right for a while. Those things can usually take a pounding in my experience. I've run one of mine through the wash several times by accident and it's still working.

The Standard hard drive though.... keep an eye on that. The motor in it may short out, but you may have saved it by drying it out immediately rather than trying to restart it.

Leo

len1x
July 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Should I feel safe that's its up and running again ? Or should I keep in mind that it might fail anytime soon?

init1
July 9th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I'm amazed you got it working again! A similar thing happened to me the other day when I left my 1 GB USB flash drive in my jeans pocket after they went in for a wash, and found it in the laundry basket afterwards. Luckily there was nothing important on it. Plugged it in expecting either nothing or some kind of device error message, and it works perfectly! Though I don't expect it to last all that long now.
Yeah that happened to me a while back. I let it dry for a few days, and it has worked fine ever since.

chris4585
July 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I've done that before, at first i thought it was dead... popped it in, tada works fine, this was at least a year ago, and it still works.

beercz
July 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Should I feel safe that's its up and running again ? Or should I keep in mind that it might fail anytime soon?
Well, if it was my hard disk, I would make sure I have a reliable, frequent and up to date backup.

If fact, I do anyway.