PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a "prettier" way to install ubuntu?

g2bandrew
July 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
My dad got an iMac today and i watched him install it and seen how great it looked and how much it was a great introduction to it. It made me think that it would probably make people like ubuntu a lot more if it was more like that. Are there any projects which have finished or are in progress which are the exact same as ubuntu but make it nicer to install with a better experience?

Het Irv
July 8th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Disclaimer: I have not installed the Mac OS before, so I do not have a point of reference.

When you installed Ubuntu what was hard about it? What would you improve to make it "more like Mac". My only experience is with installing Windows and Ubuntu blows it out of the water in ease of installation.

Sef
July 8th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Are there any projects which have finished or are in progress which are the exact same as ubuntu but make it nicer to install with a better experience?

For me the install of Hardy Heron took 20 minutes with everything working. It really depends on your hardware. If you hardware supports GNU/Linux, it will be an easy install.

Pumalite
July 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I have 2 Apple laptops and 5 systems with Hardy. Ubuntu wins; hands down.

VMC
July 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I was under the impression that Mac's came pre-installed. What did he install, an upgrade of sorts.

I just installed my new 8.4.1 today and it took under 1/2 hour with some updates included.

stchman
July 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM
My dad got an iMac today and i watched him install it and seen how great it looked and how much it was a great introduction to it. It made me think that it would probably make people like ubuntu a lot more if it was more like that. Are there any projects which have finished or are in progress which are the exact same as ubuntu but make it nicer to install with a better experience?

So the iMac he got did not have OS X installed? I installed OS X x86 one time and it was painfully slow. Ubuntu takes about 20 mins.

Most people out there do not care if the instller is ascetically pleasing just that it works. Now I will agree the default color scheme of Ubuntu leaves a lot to be desired.

g2bandrew
July 9th, 2008, 02:08 AM
No, the mac was pre-installed as usual. I understand that ubuntu has to install and that process will take some time. I'll give some clarity to what i mean.

I'd like it if the first time i started it up, it had a better design scheme instead of the orangey look. Also, it'd be good if that settings box was already open for you to get going changing it if you want. Also, it'd be good if there was maybe a speech bubble box thing to the internet bit saying "Click here to connect to the internet". Maybe there could be some animation before it goes into it for the first time too. This is what happens when you start leopard up for the first time:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2aOtpRgkHzE