PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sync Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning - Treo 680 - GCal

herschen
July 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I really do not like Evolution. I tried to figure out how to change the ports for the Gmail IMAP and SMTP servers...still haven't figured it out. I set it up to sync with my public ics file on Gcal and now I have two sets of my schedule: one from my Treo 680 and one from Gcal. Now I just want to get rid of the Gcal synchronization and I don't know how to get rid of it.

I set up Thunderbird in seconds and had my Gmail account up and running...identical to all of the labels online. It looks like a much better designed program for your average user (Evolution is good for Exchange...in my mind that's about it). The only problem is I can't synchronize GPilot to anything but evolution.

Here's what I want to set up: I want to be able to synchronize my Treo to Thunderbird/Lightening. I have "Provider for Google Calendar 0.4" and "lightening 0.8" on Thunderbird, so hopefully, I'll be able to sync my Treo to Thunderbird to Google Calendar. I do not care how I do this, whether by J-Pilot, GPilot, Kpilot. I absolutely cannot stand Evolution.

dolecannery
July 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Thunderbird not working with lightening and google provider take away the value of using linux. I am swithcing to an iphone and going back to Windows.
since you make me buy both anyway what is the difference between spending hours acting like a geek trying to find solutions that might exist to men in white coats in laboratories, or glasses with bandaids or indian accents.

If you send me back a flame or reply please have it make sense, like how to input a line command to install thunderbird, lightening, google provider please do not waste your or mine time. I have had enough of you losers.

You are paying whether you like it or not, the time is unreal.

herschen
July 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Could you please send me back a reply to clarify why you are upset with my post? I understand that Linux will take a little more time to set up...I'd rather use it because I want to support the open-source community...I don't mind the extra work. That being said, if I have a choice between two open-source programs and I like one more than the other, I'm going to use the one I like.

I also understand that my post may have appeared demanding (like "you are customer support...you need to help me...I paid good money...oh, wait, I didn't pay anything"). I'm actually just curious now, can G-Pilot be synchronized with Thunderbird/Lightning? If not, how would I disable Gnome-Pilot so I can use K-Pilot, J-Pilot or OpenSync? I know that OpenSync has a Sunbird conduit. Thank you.

herschen
July 10th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I just read some of dolecannery's other posts and I now realize this person is sincerely upset that he can't just install programs like in Windows. I can agree with him to an extent. It is frustrating when a newer version of software exists, that will work for you, but you don't know how to compile it. For example, I installed Sunbird 0.7 from the Synaptic Manager, then tried to install Lightning, but was informed that I needed Sunbird 0.8 to have Lightening work. And I don't have a clue how to compile programs (I'm willing to learn).

However, I think that if you see Linux as one giant lego set, where you have the choice to get a lego set from someone else or to build your own, it makes sense. Each version of Windows has only one "lego set" so any program produced for it is already compiled for that "lego set." Since Linux has multiple "lego sets," programs are designed for it, but then need to be compiled to work with every different version. The package installers are versions that have been "pre-compiled" for a specific distro. Since this is done pretty much by volunteers, it takes time for the program to go from source to package.

Microsoft does not release a version of Office for the Macintosh at the same time as a version for Windows. Do people complain? No, they understand that it is still under development. And if you sent a request to Microsoft to port a program over to work with another operating system, they probably would not respond. However, there are legions of volunteers on the Internet ready to help either teach you how to compile a program to work with your distro, or to set up a package installer if you request. They just need a little time (and you are not paying them).

I see Microsoft Windows like an oil change at Sears. You can do the oil change yourself, get a little dirty, but you get to choose which brand of oil to use (and it's free). Or you can wait to have a friend do an oil change for you, but sometimes they cannot fit it into their schedule. Or you can pay for someone to do an oil change; you don't think about it, they choose what type of oil goes in, and sometimes they do a poor job of it (Windows Vista).