PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 8.4.1 + GDM login issues

Darth_tater
July 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I recently installed 8.4.1 on my 3200+ and for some reason, I cannot login. After the install finishes, I restart and go to login... GDM accepts my credentials and plays the login sound, then the screen goes dark for a second, and I get kicked back to the login window.

I had this same problem trying to install (I was using the 'try first' option...) the only way I got to install ubuntu was to select the install option directly from the boot menu.

Because the screen blanks out, I believe this might have something to do with X. this box has onboard graphics, and I think they are driven by an ATI chip. Could a driver issue be causing the problem? Thanks for your help.

Ps: is there any way I can force the box to boot using VESA drivers? Im thinking from the grub window…but I don’t know how to set that kernel parameter.

 Thanks again!

sayakb
July 8th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Press F10 at login screen and click Select Session. Select Failsafe Gnome as your session. See if you can log in..

Darth_tater
July 8th, 2008, 11:45 PM
YES! that worked! thanks so much.

what does this mean? i assume the video driver didn't change.. so what changed to give me a successful login?

sayakb
July 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Failsafe disables a couple of things. Try setting desktop effects to None and try logging in normally.

Darth_tater
July 9th, 2008, 04:58 AM
will do.... i didn't know they were enabled by default.

i checked... it wasnt enabled. was that because i am logged in under gnome fail safe?

Darth_tater
July 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Well, everything is working now... so i guess i just had to manually start the fail safe session and disable visual effects.

- thanks all

sayakb
July 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Np. Please mark the thread as solved.

Darth_tater
July 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
will do.