PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installer keeps stopping, CD constantly scanning...

chrispoole
July 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi,
Trying to install Ubuntu 8.04.1 (i386 P4 laptop, 2GHz, 256MB RAM).
Tried default desktop installer, and it gets to partitioning internal drive (has windows but want total format), but then stops. CD stops being read, and just generally halts. This takes about 30mins or so, slow rendering etc.

I've tried the lower res. installer on Desktop CD. Also tried alternative CD, but that doesn't even get to running properly (Gets to menu, then when I hit return to install, just shows black screen and gets no further, after ~15mins of waiting for a sign.)

Also tried re-burning desktop CD at 1x and then checked CD with ubuntu boot menu option, no issues. But won't install. Also won't get to desktop either.

(Also tried 7.10 Alt CD text install menu -- won't show properly either. Tried damn small linux and knoppix live CDs, both boot beautifully and run very quickly, as I'd expect.)

Anything else I can try?

dstew
July 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Did you check the alternate install CD for integrity also?

chrispoole
July 9th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Did you check the alternate install CD for integrity also?

Yes. Kernel progress bar loads, then a flashing cursor top-left. Finally a line about loading daemons (syslogd etc.), and then just a blank screen.