PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia 8600GT 640x480 resolution

agemon
July 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
hello, I have a Nvidia 8600GT and I'm running ubuntu 8.04. After I install the nvidia-glx-new package I can only change to the 640x480 or 320x240 resolutions... the hardware acceleration works (according to glxgears)

here's the xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "ro"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

I searched the forums but I'm a little confused? Do I need to edit the xorg.config file, should I install envy?... Also, sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg didn't work.
PS: this problem occurs on a friend's pc, so I'm a little hesitant to try all the solutions because he is the one who has to do the reboot (also I'm afraid of breaking something)

Nightbox
July 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
true, im his friend

when we enable the driver just low resolution

ad_267
July 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
You should enable the drivers by going to System - Administration - Hardware Drivers, not by installing the nvidia-glx-new package.

Try running "gksudo nvidia-settings" and set up the resolution there.

Nightbox
July 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
already tried all

agemon
July 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
we tried adding

SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection

to xorg.conf but to no avail, when the nvidia module is load, the resolution is set to 640x480. Also, xrandr says that the only modes available are 640x480 and 320x240. Running `xrandr --fb (or --fbmm) 1024x768` didn't help either

xc3RnbFO8P
July 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Did you try Screens and Graphics
Application> other (if not)
System> Preferences> Main Menu> Other, check Screens and Graphics
Choose Generic

Nightbox
July 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
im trying

edit: worked but now the max resolution is 800x600

xc3RnbFO8P
July 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Do you got Screen and Graphics in Application> other

Nightbox
July 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
i fixed, screens and graphics saved me, ty

sges
July 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I had the same problem. My only solution was to run xfix to get vesa drivers and then run ENVYNG and manually chose the 96.43.05 drivers. Both the 169.xx.xx and 173.xx.xx put me in 640x480. I use Hardy x86-64 with nforce 430 (GeForce 6100 intergrated).

Chibana
July 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
This was a known problem with a new kernel for those of us with NVIDIA cards. Mine has been broken ever since, even with every update that includes new kernel modules and the NVIDIA driver. My thoughts were that they were continuing to try to fix it, and failing (at leas on my box). Every time I install those updates, I have to reinstall the driver from NVIDIA, which works every time. It's annoying as hell, though. This really shouldn't be happening on on OS that is designed to take the bite out of Linux for "normal" users.

ad_267
July 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM
This was a known problem with a new kernel for those of us with NVIDIA cards. Mine has been broken ever since, even with every update that includes new kernel modules and the NVIDIA driver. My thoughts were that they were continuing to try to fix it, and failing (at leas on my box). Every time I install those updates, I have to reinstall the driver from NVIDIA, which works every time. It's annoying as hell, though. This really shouldn't be happening on on OS that is designed to take the bite out of Linux for "normal" users.

I haven't had any problems with my nvidia card, it's a 6600GT. And don't try and point the finger at Ubuntu, they can only work with what nvidia gives, which isn't much for Linux. I think my next video card will be an ATI now that they have open sourced their drivers, unless nvidia does the same.

sges
October 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Kernel 2.6.24-21 seems to fix these problems.