PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu with xp in virtualisation

keefy777
July 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hello all i would like your help as i am new to this and i dont want to mess things up.

I have recently installed hardy via wubi so i can dual boot however i now feel the need to wipe windows give my pc's all to ubuntu but allow some space for xp to run in a virtual space.

So do i have to go for a new install off the live cd and then add xp or can i do it from the position i am in now.

Also how do i set up a virtual system i have read loads of interesting threads on here but they seem to be for dual screens and such.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ChildOfMana
July 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I have recently installed hardy via wubi so i can dual boot however i now feel the need to wipe windows give my pc's all to ubuntu but allow some space for xp to run in a virtual space.

The best, and cleanest way, is probably just to 'bite the bullet' and re-format your HDD and then give it over to Ubuntu completely.

Also how do i set up a virtual system i have read loads of interesting threads on here but they seem to be for dual screens and such.

For this I'd recommend Virtualbox. The OSS (Open Source) version is in the repositories but you can get the proprietary (but still free) desktop version from here:

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=innotek-1.6-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

A good, easy to follow guide on how to set up and use Virtualbox can be found here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=770745

I've been running XP in Virtualbox for a while now and it works perfectly (well, as perfectly as Windows can run anyway).

Hope this helps.

keefy777
July 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks i will give that a go and let you know how i got on.

ChildOfMana
July 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
You're welcome :)

lamego
July 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Since you are not very experienced with Ubuntu neither doing virtualization please consider using dual boot instead, shrink your current windows partition and install ubuntu into the remaining space. If you have enough disk space you can still install a windows xp inside a VM from your Ubuntu install.