PDA

View Full Version : CLI BitTorrent client

happysmileman
July 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Anyone want to recommend a good CLI bittorrent client.

I'd much prefer if it had a web interface, but can't really seem to find any CLI based clients with one, rTorrent can be controlled by SCGI, but I'm not entirely sure what that means, would that be the same?

I'm looking for a client I can have running pretty much constantly, and control (add/remove/pause torrents) remotely, so I'm looking for one as lightweight as possible, which isn't prone to crashing or leaking memory.

I've heard good things about rTorrent but not sure if it can be controlled remotely easily.

LookTJ
July 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
rtorrent can be controlled via screen+ssh. If you are on a remote windows machine, you can have putty on your flash drive and use

screen -r torrent the above code will work if you have the screen session titled as "torrent"

screen -dmS torrentto detach a screen without quitting

ctrl+a, release, then hit dso it's pretty much simple. I'm not too sure about a web client for rtorrent. but you can always use torrentflux on a web server if you want :). Torrentflux isn't CLI by the way

happysmileman
July 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
rtorrent can be controlled via screen+ssh. If you are on a remote windows machine, you can have putty on your flash drive and use

screen -r torrent the above code will work if you have the screen session titled as "torrent"

screen -dmS torrentto detach a screen without quitting

ctrl+a, release, then hit dso it's pretty much simple. I'm not too sure about a web client for rtorrent. but you can always use torrentflux on a web server if you want :). Torrentflux isn't CLI by the way

Sounds pretty good, didn't really think of SSH, I probably will end up going with rTorrent

chalewa
July 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
rtorrent is phenomenal.. by far my favorite client out there (gui or cli).

it is pretty easy to control it remotely, i mean after you get your config file set up, you can have a folder to autostart/stop torrents with. i have that folder shared, and can drop torrents into that folder whenever i want...or take them out if i want to stop them.

there are a few pretty good tutorials out there to set up the config file

also

screen rtorrent

and then

screen -rto resume it.

Mateo
July 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM
rtorrent isn't CLI though ;). It's TUI.

happysmileman
July 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
it is pretty easy to control it remotely, i mean after you get your config file set up, you can have a folder to autostart/stop torrents with. i have that folder shared, and can drop torrents into that folder whenever i want...or take them out if i want to stop them.

... That's probably even better than web interface for me, I could just have a folderview widget on my desktop and drag and drop the torrent files to the desktop :P

chalewa
July 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM

lol this is true

LookTJ
July 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Ah I never realized that, considering that ncurses is indeed TUI(text user interface). Haha:)

happysmileman
July 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Hmmm I'd never heard of a TUI, but after looking looking it up, it turns out you're right :P

chalewa
July 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
yea it is in fact tui, but i think that a lot of people (myself included) would consider apps like rtorrent and naim to be cli even tho they use ncurses and are in fact tui

forger
July 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for a client I can have running pretty much constantly, and control (add/remove/pause torrents) remotely, so I'm looking for one as lightweight as possible, which isn't prone to crashing or leaking memory.

apt-cache search torrent.*cli

1) deluge-torrent (http://www.deluge-torrent.org), has a plugin for web administration (webui)
2) azureus / vuze (http://azureus.sf.net) - same, http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=azhtmlwebui
3) transmission-cli - free, lightweight BitTorrent client (command line interface)
transmission-gtk - free, lightweight BitTorrent client (graphical interface)
clutch - Web-based BitTorrent client using Transmission engine
4) torrentflux - web based, feature-rich BitTorrent download manager

Mateo
July 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
i didn't realize that tranmission had a cli and daemon... i actually have them installed but had never used them or realized of their existence. how nice.

forger
July 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM
..you're welcome :twisted: