PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RPM, APTGET, DEB, I don't get it

NMbottlecap
July 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
So I'm getting used to linux and not windows or Mac, and I asked a friend how to install a plugin so I can listen to MP3s she asked if I'm using RPM, aptget, or debs. So I don't sound like an idiot, which does Ubuntu use? Thanks.

lazyart
July 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
apt-get is preferred, but debs are good too.

NMbottlecap
July 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
thanks! Also I your signature
"It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users. "

wdaniels
July 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
So I'm getting used to linux and not windows or Mac, and I asked a friend how to install a plugin so I can listen to MP3s she asked if I'm using RPM, aptget, or debs. So I don't sound like an idiot, which does Ubuntu use? Thanks.

RPM and DEB are package formats used by RedHat and Debian distributions respectively. Ubuntu is based on Debian and therefore uses the DEB package format.

Aptitude and apt-get are package management programs designed to use DEB package "repositories" and to handle things like the dependencies between packages. So commands like apt-get are really just automated ways of fetching and installing DEB files.

bapoumba
July 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

To listen to mp3, enable the multiverse repositories (from synaptic) and install ubuntu-restricted-extras
RestrictedFormats

Bablefish
July 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I am both a Linux and Windows guy and I know what you mean about how it can get a little confusing. But there are 100s of DEB programs out there. I just install Amazon's music downloader and that was a DEB file.

NMbottlecap
July 9th, 2008, 12:18 AM
sweet sweet MP3's, thanks for the advice! Now I just have 1 bug-a-boo left, dual displays.