PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] this may seem stupid

vikasmk
July 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
look ,this may seem a really stupid question , but how do i stop the cursor blinking in the linux console ???? i remember there was an option in gutsy in the preferences but not there in Hardy. any one know how to ???

dodle
July 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Give it some eye-drops :).

Sorry, I don't know.

kestrel1
July 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
For some reason this has been removed in Hardy. You can stop it blinking if you go to System - Preferences - Keyboard & uncheck the box in there, but this affects all programs.
Aparantly this guy has a patch for this:
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/
Scroll down the page to find it. Don't know if it works though.

kestrel1
July 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
The above does work, but to install it is a different matter. on the blog, it just says to copy the file to /usr/bin/ but you need root access to do this. However, if you try:

sudo cp gnome-terminal /usr/bin/
You cannot do it, because you have the terminal open. To get around this, try the folowing:
Open a terminal & type:

konsole
This should open up the konsole, unless it is not installed in which case type:

sudo apt-get install konsole
Once you have a konsole window open, close the terminal, then type:

sudo cp gnome-terminal /usr/bin/
You need to be in the directory that the file 'gnome-terminal' is in ie Desktop, so cd to the correct folder or use the correct path where you saved the program.
Anyway, when you run the terminal from now on the cursor will not blink.

kestrel1
July 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
There is another way to do this, I think:

gksudo nautilus
This will open a gui so you can copy the file that way. You will need to shutdown the terminal again, before the copy can take place.

vikasmk
July 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM
i just turned off the blink in prefenrence> keyboard . i had forgotten about it . thanks all of you ;)