How can I log in as root in Ubuntu?

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
How can I log in as root in Ubuntu?

Hi and welcome, this link may help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

carrarin
July 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i dont think the let you do that. if you want in the terminal you can give yourself su abitilys, but im not sure if you can login as root
:damn beaten to the punch again: oh well

tamoneya
July 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
in general it is advised otherwise because of the security implications. In ubuntu the root password is set randomly during the install. If you want root permissions you should sudo to get them.

EDIT: late as well

cpetercarter
July 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You don't. The root account is disabled by default in Ubuntu.Instead you give yourself temporary root privileges when you need them. If you are using the terminal to, say, download and install new software, you preface the command with "sudo" e.g."sudo apt-get somesupersoftware install". You will be asked for your password. Type it in and press enter. Similarly, if you are using e.g. synaptic package manager, you will be asked for your password.

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
i dont think the let you do that. if you want in the terminal you can give yourself su abitilys, but im not sure if you can login as root
:damn beaten to the punch again: oh well

Don't fret I will not always be here. :)

carrarin
July 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
this whole root thing i noticede from the start, hated loging in and then not having priveledges to delete opertating system files.
:mad: i wanted to expirement

karasuman
July 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
It's a bad idea to log in as root, but you CAN do it. When I told my friend the BSD-user that I logged in as root to replace a file owned by root, the look on his face convinced me to never do it again. If you really want to be able to do it, I figured it out with about ten minutes in google, but I cannot, in good conscience, share the wisdom.

What do you want to do as root, anyway? If you just want to have freer access to files, like I did, try

sudo nautilus

carrarin
July 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
the way of logging in that shouldn't be spoken of, does that only work for freebsd. i tried that with ubuntu, and i got an error.

chrisccoulson
July 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
It is against forum policy to post log-in-as-root tutorials (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414)

carrarin
July 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
you aren't gonna send me to jail will you! id get eaten alive!!!

sydbat
July 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yup. The "root" police are on their way...:lolflag:

carrarin
July 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
NOOOO!! I wont go back. Im taking my computer hostage. You CANT STOp MEE!!!

tamoneya
July 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
It's a bad idea to log in as root, but you CAN do it. When I told my friend the BSD-user that I logged in as root to replace a file owned by root, the look on his face convinced me to never do it again. If you really want to be able to do it, I figured it out with about ten minutes in google, but I cannot, in good conscience, share the wisdom.

What do you want to do as root, anyway? If you just want to have freer access to files, like I did, try

sudo nautilus

since nautilus is graphical you would be better off with gksudo:
gksudo nautilus

chrisccoulson
July 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
you aren't gonna send me to jail will you! id get eaten alive!!!

So far, no-one has told the original poster how to do it, and I just wanted to make sure that the original poster understood why this was, and to remind everyone that they aren't allowed to

carrarin
July 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ok ill put down the computer. that was close.

sydbat
July 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
So far, no-one has told the original poster how to do it, and I just wanted to make sure that the original poster understood why this was.

Absolutely. Just having fun now...

bodhi.zazen
July 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yup. The "root" police are on their way...:lolflag:
They are here ...

sudo slap wrists

t0p
July 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
man passwd