PDA

View Full Version : Database noob

AOZ
July 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm not really sure where i should be posting this but I'ms ure someone out here can help. I'm totally new to database structures/planning/tables etc. I'm currently working on a project where basically I need to relate singles files, to various agents, where they wil have various time slots and each time slot will ahve a singler frequency integer. I'm completley lost as how to make tables that will have a sort of "tree" relationship. I've been browsing around for good tutorials on this sort of stuff but I can't find anything that helps. Can anyeon give me a hand here? Thanks in advance

nanotube
July 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm not really sure where i should be posting this but I'ms ure someone out here can help. I'm totally new to database structures/planning/tables etc. I'm currently working on a project where basically I need to relate singles files, to various agents, where they wil have various time slots and each time slot will ahve a singler frequency integer. I'm completley lost as how to make tables that will have a sort of "tree" relationship. I've been browsing around for good tutorials on this sort of stuff but I can't find anything that helps. Can anyeon give me a hand here? Thanks in advance

your description is not completely clear (what's a "singles file", what exactly is your "frequency integer" a frequency of?). please explain in more detail what exactly you are looking to do?

pmasiar
July 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Database design is skill comparable and maybe even more complicated that plain programming. From your post I see you don't have either skill.

Start reading and following the links from wikipedia: SQL, relational databases, normalization. If you don't have any local guru, it's couple months of study. If you are lucky, front-to-end web app framework can help you with good integrated ORM (object-relational mapper). Try Django with Python.

thornmastr
July 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Take a look at "Database Design for Mere Mortals" by Hernandez. It may help to solidify your understanding of table design.