PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't view Chinese in Hardy main menus

ClarkePeters
July 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
In older ubuntu versions, when I logged out and back in to another language, in this case Chinese, the Applications, System, and Places menus would also change to Chinese, now these main menus and all submenus remain in English. Is this a system change? no more full language support? (firefox and some applications seem ok). My wife is Chinese, no English, need some assistance (I've already downloaded all language files in synaptic and then check the Chinese support in the language support menu, but seems I'm only getting partial support).

konungursvia
July 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Maybe a localepurge was done on that computer, or you installed without Chinese.

ClarkePeters
July 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I never had problems in the past.
I installed Hardy as I did in the past with ubuntu dapper, feisty, and gutsy.
I installed everything in English from the CD.
Then I went to synaptic and made sure all language files were downloaded and upgraded.
Then went to language support and chose Chinese.

I use the computer in English, when my wife needs it, I log out and she logs back in choosing the language option, temporary for this session only -- so far all is as it was in the past.

then when she gets in, she has firefox and thunderbird and all their menus in Chinese, and the upper right corner calendar and user switcher in Chinese, and she can type chinese in her websites, but the system doesn't change, all the main and sub menus are still in English (and open office and other apps are still in english, but my main concern is the ubuntu system). The main reason I switched to ubuntu years ago was the awesome language support and ease of changing from one system to another--put Windows to shame.

My question again, is this a new system change? I hope not. Can I do something?

ClarkePeters
July 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
RESOLVED.
Did an ubuntu update last night. Can't remember what they all were, but now my Chinese is working Fine!!

zhanglini
July 11th, 2008, 03:34 AM
My menu is in English (Applications/Places/System), submenu is mostly in CHinese, some in English.
How do I change everything into Chinese?
Thanks