PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ubuntu Installation CD hangs on "Install Ubuntu"

azza85
July 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04.1-Desktop) on my Laptop (an old HP Pavillion ZE4300).

I have downloaded and checked the MD5 hash of the cd ISO and it is fine. The disk burnt successfully, but when I run it on the Laptop, after selecting any of the main menu items such as "Install Ubuntu", "Try Ubuntu...", "Check CD for defects", the CD stalls and nothing happens. I have tried the CD on a newer laptop and everything works fine.

Does anyone know of any known issues when using the install cd on old hardware, and how I can get around this?

Many thanks,

AJ

avtolle
July 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
A few thoughts: since you are trying to install on "old hardware", often the alternate install iso burned to CD works better. Is this the one you are using, or are you using the "Live CD"? Also, how much RAM do you have on the computer to which you are trying to install? While Ubuntu will run on 256 mb RAM, the graphical installer contained on the Live CD needs 384 mb RAM to function properly. Also, old hardware can be a bit touchy, especially the CD drive; I find the best results on my old stuff is to use a CD-R, of a "name brand", burned at a slow speed (4x), with the alternate install iso being burned.

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04.1-Desktop) on my Laptop (an old HP Pavillion ZE4300).

I have downloaded and checked the MD5 hash of the cd ISO and it is fine. The disk burnt successfully, but when I run it on the Laptop, after selecting any of the main menu items such as "Install Ubuntu", "Try Ubuntu...", "Check CD for defects", the CD stalls and nothing happens. I have tried the CD on a newer laptop and everything works fine.

Does anyone know of any known issues when using the install cd on old hardware, and how I can get around this?

Many thanks,

AJ

Hi and could you tell us the system specs? The cd drive maybe the issue and you could try alternative installs without the cd.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20without%20a%20CD
Edit to slow :)

azza85
July 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I followed your advice, and I am currently responding to this thread on a fresh install of Ubuntu on my Laptop! The alternative disk and 4x disc burning speed worked a treat. The install took a while, but it's running great now :)

A laptop that was gonna be thrown out because it ran so slowly with Windows has been resurrected and is running great!

Thanks for your help avtolle and overdrank