PDA

View Full Version : Gorm 1

KingBahamut
November 2nd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Today marks the occasion of the release of Gorm 1.0, the Interface Builder for the GNUstep project, and with its release, comes the obsolesence of the GNOME and KDE projects. Finally, today, Free Software users can enjoy the power of a well-designed, powerful object-oriented system derived from OpenStep, legacy to the acclaimed MacOSX, through GNUstep, our loving reimplementation of the OpenStep standard.

External Links
http://www.gnustep.org/experience/Gorm.html
http://www.gnustep.org/

Doesnt look all that flashy to me...and GnuStep, AfterStep, NeXtStep never seemed that intuitive to me. Call me wrong certainly.

Stormy Eyes
November 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Looks like gnustep.org has been slashdotted.

KingBahamut
November 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Had to figure this would happen.

Damn /.

xequence
November 2nd, 2005, 04:46 PM
I doubt KDE or Gnome will be obsolete any time soon ;)

elglas
November 2nd, 2005, 11:33 PM
can anyone tell me how to install GNUstep and get it to run as a user?

Rick 1
June 17th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Call me wrong certainly.
OK, you're wrong certainly.

Rick 1
June 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I doubt KDE or Gnome will be obsolete any time soon ;)
You have a point. They have a stranglehold on 0.5% of the market each and they're not letting go.

Rick 1
June 17th, 2006, 08:57 PM
http://www.gnustep.org/experience/Gorm.html
At least OS X comes with a built in spell checker. :grin:

Rick 1
June 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Today marks the occasion of the release of Gorm 1.0
Uh - weren't NeXT up to 1.0 of IB about SIXTEEN years ago? One more thing: when did GNUstep start? Wasn't it about 1996 - eleven years ago?

Now they've made 1.0? Watch out, world! :grin:

PS. I like OpenStep. Linux should have it. If it did, it could become the new market gorilla, especially with Mark S pushing it through *buntu. But what's being done on the OpenStep side right now is sporadic and anything but ambitious. Yes, it would be nice if someone put some support (financing) behind such an effort. I know I would devote a lot of time to it and I know I have considerable time to do just that. (Read this at all, Mark?)

joshu
June 19th, 2006, 07:38 PM
You have a point. They have a stranglehold on 0.5% of the market each and they're not letting go.

Boy, and what a stranglehold it is... :D

Compucore
June 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM
The funny thing about this as well. I also have two old Nexstationas well over here. The colour ones. Each with a 17 inch black and white monitors on each of them. Really amusing on this one. :D

Compucore

joshu
June 21st, 2006, 09:05 AM
The funny thing about this as well. I also have two old Nexstationas well over here. The colour ones. Each with a 17 inch black and white monitors on each of them. Really amusing on this one. :D

Compucore

I've got one NeXTstation color, and the monitor does display color. Pantone. Almost photo-quality :D

You wouldn't have a copy of the NeXT developer tools software, would you?