PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy selling Ubuntu linux for $20

Pages : [1] 2

Maxster
June 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Spotted a Ubuntu boot screen in a picture here, the artical is about bext buy scamming people, there an other one with MS teaming up with BB for more scams...

http://consumerist.com/consumer/confessions/best-buy-employee-confesses-to-scams-similar-to-ones-outlined-in-racketeering-lawsuit-259041.php

edit
here is about MS doing shady stuff
http://consumerist.com/consumer/microsoft/best-buy-microsoft-accused-of-racketeering-258999.php

jgrabham
June 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Quick Q, whats best buy, is it a big chain computer store selling overpriced hardware to people who dont know anybetter, bragging that 1gb RAM is huge and full of staff who dont know anything? (so basically PC World)

CautionaryX
June 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah, that's Best Buy. They have this thing called The Geek Squad which overcharges severely to do simple tech support stuff install simple things like RAM upgrades. They wanted $3,000 from my dad to recover his HD when his WinXP install went kablooey. I did it for free (didn't put ubuntu on it though...yet - he's a diehard Windows user).

Usually when I go into stores like that, I try to change the screensavers to say 'try ubuntu @ www.ubuntu.com', before the employees see me.

jgrabham
June 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that's Best Buy. They have this thing called The Geek Squad which overcharges severely to do simple tech support stuff install simple things like RAM upgrades. They wanted $3,000 from my dad to recover his HD when his WinXP install went kablooey. I did it for free (didn't put ubuntu on it though...yet - he's a diehard Windows user).

Usually when I go into stores like that, I try to change the screensavers to say 'try ubuntu @ www.ubuntu.com', before the employees see me.

I love doing things like that; me in a museum - computer running some presentation, I press ctrl+alt+del, it reebooted into the windows 95 desktop; I put on a screensaver saying "Grabham was here" :]

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I saw a Vista computer there that had frozen at some configuring something screen:lolflag:

jgrabham
June 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I saw a Vista computer there that had frozen at some configuring something screen:lolflag:

I made one do that in tesco, first and only time ive ever touched vista!!!

CautionaryX
June 6th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I went around the software aisles at best buy and laughed when I knew some people would actually buy Vista Basic because it was the cheapest one. What I hate even more is when a customer sets a password on the display laptops making them unusable... wait Vista does that already.

DoctorMO
June 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I was in BestBuy when Vista was coming out. I had 3 employees give me a massive tour of how it worked; what the features where and what they personally felt about it. All the time commenting on how it was different or the same to my linux install back home and eventually they where so receptive that I'll be surprised if they haven't tried ubuntu.

jgrabham > Imagen a PC World that is even more dumb and slightly cheaper.

Maxster
June 6th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Ok but the question is, why is there a Ubuntu splash screen there? does some one go around popping Ubuntu live cds in the machines? cause that would be awesome, i think i might try that!

it also seems that "Ubuntu" is barely visible compared to the logo and status bar.

Sunflower1970
June 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I was in BestBuy when Vista was coming out. I had 3 employees give me a massive tour of how it worked; what the features where and what they personally felt about it. All the time commenting on how it was different or the same to my linux install back home and eventually they where so receptive that I'll be surprised if they haven't tried ubuntu.

Was in Best Buy last weekend. Was looking at the laptops, and walked by an employee explaining Vista to a couple. They asked what was different about it from XP and why should they get it. The employee tried to impress them by telling them it had been "Appleized" I looked back at them, caught the employee's eye and had to move out of the section fast due to laughing too hard.

FuturePilot
June 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Well it's definitely a live CD since the progress bar is a throber. I guess the Ubuntu looks very faint just because of the angle.

phrostbyte
June 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I used to work at Best Buy and I brought LiveCDs with me to play around with on the store computers. My manager really didn't care as long as I "schooled" (Best Buy lingo for scammed) enough customers that day. :p

Maxster
June 7th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I used to work at Best Buy and I brought LiveCDs with me to play around with on the store computers. My manager really didn't care as long as I "schooled" (Best Buy lingo for scammed) enough customers that day. :p

dam so what they say is right!
bunch of scamers.

igknighted
June 7th, 2007, 03:51 AM
dam so what they say is right!
bunch of scamers.

Like any of the other big-name stores are any different...

macogw
June 7th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Quick Q, whats best buy, is it a big chain computer store selling overpriced hardware to people who dont know anybetter, bragging that 1gb RAM is huge and full of staff who dont know anything? (so basically PC World)

Yes, and their "Geek Squad" (supposed computer experts) doesn't know how to use Google either. I asked them to Google and see if an mp3 player that's "Windows only" works with Linux, since we all know "Windows only" tends not to mean anything. They said that the internet said "no." I Googled and the 2nd thing I saw was "use Gnomad2."

Their sales people aren't very knowledgeable either. One told me that a Turion64 X2 was a desktop processor. It's a mobile processor, and he was mixing it up with the Athlon64 X2. They're also very persistent. I was looking at Wireless Access Points (hoping they'd be cheaper than routers....no), and in about 2 minutes, I was asked:
"Do you need help?"
"You sure?"
"Are you sure you don't need help?"
So finally I looked at him and said "look, unless you can tell me how to bridge my connection to make my desktop act as a wireless access point using a BCM43xx and Linux, NO, I don't need your help." He kinda stared at me for a moment and then said "oh...that's something technical...uh....umm....I'm sure Geek Squad can tell you though!" I told him what I discovered months before: if you ask them anything with the word "Linux" they use Google, and that some of them can't even seem to figure that out.

Skidpad
June 7th, 2007, 04:21 AM
A little off the thread topic here, but oh man, the fun you can have in a store full of "limited knowledge Windows only" employees with a LiveCD in your hands...

I went into a local "warehouse" store this past weekend with a Sabayon 3.3 CD to check out the latest native Linux hardware compatibility (hey, Sabayon comes with Beryl built in...).

Anyway, I successfully ran Sabayon in a laptop, and had decided to move on to the desktops. They had this sweet HP 22" widescreen LCD fired up, so I couldn't resist. I popped in the cd, rebooted, and prepared to leave Vista behind.

While this desktop was booting, one of the store managers hurriedly comes walking up - clipboard in hand - and scanned all of the laptops (where I had just been). I'm assuming he was checking on me, but I didn't acknowledge his presence directly and just kept staring at the widescreen - now fully in the Sabayon boot process.

By the time he got to the desktops where I was, the widescreen just happened to be at a blank spot in the boot process, and he kept on going past me. He checked on some other customers at the end of the desktop line, before coming back by me again. Luckily enough, the screen was still blank and he disappeared.

Confrontation avoided, the red Sabayon "foot" finally appeared on the widescreen as a some other customers passed behind me. I could see the look on their faces in the reflection on the widescreen. They didn't know what to think - they paused, twisted their heads, and moved on. I almost started explaining Linux to them, but having heard their previous Vista discussion, I thought the better of it and turned back to my experimentation.

Good times...I'm a simple guy amused by seemingly simple things :D

meman63
June 7th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Just walk into one of those stores and get close to a Vista box( make sure it has a mic)and say "Voice recognition,ON".Then "Start...Command.exe".
If the mic is turned on,have fun!

Regards,
Meman63 http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

init1
June 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM

I saw that it costs about $200 for a in home digital camera lesson.

Maxster
June 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I saw that it costs about $200 for a in home digital camera lesson.

what? in home camera lessons from tech store?
Just had the image of a classic tech sales jock, telling people how to use your camera.
Go to a camera store were people know how to take goood pictures because most likely they are photographers. Even photography lessons are cheaper.

Back to the topic, i guess some random hero popped a live cd in and proudly took a satirical picture with a digi cam (wich he did not pay 200 bucks to learn its menus) then posted it on this consumer website with a bestbuy artical.

Mistery of the liveboot in bigbox store solved!

mouseboyx
June 7th, 2007, 06:42 AM
When I went to Compusa (Basically the same a Best buy) They asked my 4 or five times why I didn't want a warranty. I laugh at the thought that I was buying my computer from there but my Dad won't let me assemble my own...

BloodyTails
June 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM
After reading this. I've outlined what I want to do next time I walk into BestBuy. I've only been to BestBuy once and was not interested in buying, just wasting time.

I'm going to go in there, say I want to buy a computer, "BUT" I will say and then I'll slap down print offs of those news lines and ask them a simple question. "So? What crappy AOL service am I going to get that I don't want?"

That is what I have planned for the weekend. Besides that. Sleep, more sleep and some Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory after that.

mouseboyx
June 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I should get a job at best buy and actually help people I would probably get fired within the first week.

Maxster
June 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yes get a job there and offer under the table deals and bribes so the cosumer scams em back!

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
After reading this. I've outlined what I want to do next time I walk into BestBuy. I've only been to BestBuy once and was not interested in buying, just wasting time.

I'm going to go in there, say I want to buy a computer, "BUT" I will say and then I'll slap down print offs of those news lines and ask them a simple question. "So? What crappy AOL service am I going to get that I don't want?"

That is what I have planned for the weekend. Besides that. Sleep, more sleep and some Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory after that.

I'm off to PC world with a stack of Ubuntu CDs, thanks for the idea guys :]

leftyfb
July 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
http://tinyurl.com/6jy68q

I figure this will help bring in the people who don't trust a "free" product. Put a pricetag on it and people will buy it.

Digg please (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Best_Buy_selling_Ubuntu_linux_for_20)

AOZ
July 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
hah wow. It says "Our price: 19.99" as if its some sort of bargain

quinnten83
July 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
What a bucnh of bastards. Are they also providing "free" support from canonical? Otherwise, canonical should sue.

paul101
July 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
actually, some people would be more willing to buy something if it has a price tag!!

what sort of profit are they making on that... a million percent??

mech7
July 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
ValuSoft ?

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM
This doesn't look legal at all, Canonical should sue.

leftyfb
July 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
This is completely legal and will help us out. There are people who do not trust and will not install something that is free. Put a pricetag on it and some people will automatically have more trust in it. It sounds silly, but it's true.

As for the publisher, I'm hoping that's for the book that it comes with. Or it might just be the company that packed it up into a box and put it on the shelves.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
...Canonical should sue...If you (the numerous people who I have quoted both in this thread and beyond) are going to preach the license, please Know The License.

As for this, it's nice to see. No, great to see!

It's kind of painful to see ValuSoft and BestBuy the first ones becoming associated with Ubuntu, though. I don't like either of them :o
Well, I don't mind ValuSoft too much, but I have a thing against product names that involve misspellings for the sake of reducing length, and the ValuSoft name has a ring to it just like "Dollar Store" or "Liquidation World".

leftyfb
July 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Looks like Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/forum.html?ie=UTF8&cdForum=FxY1XLT2J6QRBA&asin=B0018KAN9E) is selling the same thing from the same publisher.

Dharmachakra
July 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hypothetically, if Canonical attempted to sue, I'd be pretty angry. This kind of thing doesn't hurt Canonical at all. If anything it makes Linux that much more available. Throw in some good documentation and BestBuys got a great product.

keiichidono
July 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Well, i will have to let this one slide...although if someone isn't smart enough to pick something up when it's free and would rather pay for it i'm not sure i want them amongst the "linux user" ranks with their IQ.

dmn_clown
July 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Because people learn about alternative software through osmosis.

Midwest-Linux
July 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Well on the positive side it does not come with a serial number and requires activation...or does it?

http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

motang
July 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Good thing I searched, I was going to post something similar to this.

Well anyway, I think this is kinda wrong. In some sense but the company that is doing this can say that they are charging for the box, the CD, and the time it took them to do all that. I do hope Canonical knows about this and are aware of the what is going on. It isn't necessarily a bad thing as it does give Ubuntu the exposure that it needs, and I honestly believe that Ubuntu is ready for the mass especially with the restricted driver manager, suggestion of the codecs that are needed to play a particular media file, ease of use, and the community that is behind it.

Looks like ValuSoft (http://www.valusoft.com/store/valusoft/DisplayHomePage) is a legit company that is a division of THQ.

Scientia
July 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Well, i will have to let this one slide...although if someone isn't smart enough to pick something up when it's free and would rather pay for it i'm not sure i want them amongst the "linux user" ranks with their IQ.

Lol. But seriously, if someone gets it just because it's selling and passes up the free version, well, apart from the fact that theres another new linux user, and it's his/her cash, i really don't have anything else to say.

damis648
July 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hypothetically, if Canonical attempted to sue, I'd be pretty angry. This kind of thing doesn't hurt Canonical at all. If anything it makes Linux that much more available. Throw in some good documentation and BestBuys got a great product.

Definetely... plus the "free" part puts some people off. I wonder if geek squad will have support for Ubuntu now... :popcorn:

damis648
July 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I do not like how it says "Complete Edition" ...

regomodo
July 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
`

Midwest-Linux
July 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I see Linux distros sold all the time on E-bay (usually about $2.95 or less) they are providing a service for those who cannot or don't want to download a whole operating system. But what justifies $20 ?

oldsoundguy
July 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
This is a foot in the door .. Best Buy charges 30 bucks to REMOVE all of the crippleware and trial ware that comes on Vista computers, so why not 20 bucks more to wipe that sucker and set up Ubuntu? As to service, fine, The Geek Squad can tweak to their heart's content with the package. It WILL convince a few that Linux is a better choice once they see, despite the propaganda generated from the years when Linux was a "geeks only" system, that the system IS easy to use now.

The new user will actually get the OPERATING SYSTEM burned to a disk, (not a "recovery system" with a copy of the OS eating up a chunk of the hard drive where it is hidden). They get a basic OPERATING MANUAL (beats the fact that Vista doesn't even have the HELP button anymore). And the computer will be tested for full functionality on all installed programs. (meaning the wireless will work. the audio will work, the shutdown will work. the hibernate will work. the display will be at it's full capability. And so on.

For the computer USER that just wants a machine that works and really does not care about HOW it works, a very good solution to get away from MS!

Mr. Picklesworth
July 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I do not like how it says "Complete Edition" ...

It is a pretty ugly looking box. And the product description reads like a fourth grade book report; completely lacking any major selling points or direction.

Come to think of it, it may be better if this does not become very visible to anyone just learning about Ubuntu. Hopefully, BestBuy doesn't have much Google Juice.

pmlxuser
July 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
What a bucnh of bastards. Are they also providing "free" support from canonical? Otherwise, canonical should sue.
well they are not bastards Ubuntu gives them that right

If you are legally free to do anything (you can also sell right?) Of course Connical provides the "free" they probably like it..Legally connical can't sue..:)

MaxIBoy
July 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
That box looks pretty thick. I bet you there's a complete help manual in there. That's worth less than $20, but I think you could justify charging something.

Icehuck
July 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
well they are not bastards Ubuntu gives them that right

If you are legally free to do anything (you can also sell right?) Of course Connical provides the "free" they probably like it..Legally connical can't sue..:)

They can if they didn't get permission to use the trademark and the company is making a profit off of it.

eragon100
July 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Amazon doesn't seem to understand what ubuntu is.

These are the system reguirements from amazon's product details:

* Platform: Windows Vista / XP, Linux, Mac OS X
* Media: Video Game
* Item Quantity: 1

:-s :-s

BTW, the box says "includes Exlusive Getting Started Support".

Normally you have to pay, and pay more than 20 $, for tech support, so I think it's actually pretty cheap :wink:

eragon100
July 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM
BTW, why not all leave a VERY positive review at amazon.com?

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Nope, they couldn't sue. They sold rights of Ubuntu's trademark to ValueSoft, and VS can do whatever they want with it.

damis648
July 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
this Is A Foot In The Door .. Best Buy Charges 30 Bucks To Remove All Of The Crippleware And Trial Ware That Comes On Vista Computers, So Why Not 20 Bucks More To Wipe That Sucker And Set Up Ubuntu? As To Service, Fine, The Geek Squad Can Tweak To Their Heart's Content With The Package. It Will Convince A Few That Linux Is A Better Choice Once They See, Despite The Propaganda Generated From The Years When Linux Was A "geeks Only" System, That The System Is Easy To Use Now.

The New User Will Actually Get The Operating System Burned To A Disk, (not A "recovery System" With A Copy Of The Os Eating Up A Chunk Of The Hard Drive Where It Is Hidden). They Get A Basic Operating Manual (beats The Fact That Vista Doesn't Even Have The Help Button Anymore). And The Computer Will Be Tested For Full Functionality On All Installed Programs. (meaning The Wireless Will Work. The Audio Will Work, The Shutdown Will Work. The Hibernate Will Work. The Display Will Be At It's Full Capability. And So On.

For The Computer User That Just Wants A Machine That Works And Really Does Not Care About How It Works, A Very Good Solution To Get Away From Ms!

+1

damis648
July 8th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Amazon doesn't seem to understand what ubuntu is.

These are the system reguirements from amazon's product details:

* Platform: Windows Vista / XP, Linux, Mac OS X
* Media: Video Game
* Item Quantity: 1

:-s :-s

BTW, the box says "includes Exlusive Getting Started Support".

Normally you have to pay, and pay more than 20 $, for tech support, so I think it's actually pretty cheap :wink:

Have you ever read the crazy "Video Game" review of it?

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
This is great news.

I also like how they advertise it as
Ubuntu Linux offers all the power of Linux in a package that's simple to use and easy to learn, even for users who've never used Linux before. instead of saying
The main thing to note is that when you choose open source you don’t get a Windows® operating system. If you’re here by mistake and you are looking for a Dell PC with Windows, please use the following link. There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling Ubuntu for US$20, morally or legally. Not everyone has a broadband connection. Not everyone wants to wait two months for ShipIt to ship a free CD. Some people trust only products they can buy at Best Buy.

This targets a different audience from Ubuntu Forum membership and gets Linux more exposure. Good for Ubuntu. Good for Best Buy.

damis648
July 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
this Is Great News.

I Also Like How They Advertise It As Instead Of Saying There's Absolutely Nothing Wrong With Selling Ubuntu For Us$20, Morally Or Legally. Not Everyone Has A Broadband Connection. Not Everyone Wants To Wait Two Months For Shipit To Ship A Free Cd. Some People Trust Only Products They Can Buy At Best Buy.

This Targets A Different Audience From Ubuntu Forum Membership And Gets Linux More Exposure. Good For Ubuntu. Good For Best Buy.

+1

eragon100
July 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I have just submitted a 5 star very positive review at amazon, saying I know nothing about computers and praising ubuntu into the heavens. I even included 2 screenshots, one of the music player, and one of add/remove programs. Hope it convinces some people to try Ubuntu! :)

jwkolberg
July 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
BTW, why not all leave a VERY positive review at bestbuy.com? :D

Good idea!

just left one :)

It makes you sign up, but I think it's worth it.

Chame_Wizard
July 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
It's Ubuntu,not Ubuntu Linux :(

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Actually, it is Ubuntu Linux. From the Ubuntu website:
Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Ubuntu Linux

i.e. The Ubuntu remix of Linux and GNU applications and services.

leftyfb
July 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=1262

A quick writeup with pics of what you get when you buy it from Best Buy.

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I am gonna buy it:D

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I got it.

toupeiro
July 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think this is great too. I think the only thing that urkes me is that linux is predominantly touted as the OS that runs on old hardware. Truth is, in most cases, it gives you more usage of your new hardware as well, and most definately more control over it. This is definately a step in the right direction, but it shouldn't be left open to interpretation that if you run high end hardware, that linux cannot meet your needs.

AmericanYellow
July 8th, 2008, 07:41 PM

lol. :lolflag:

Just as long as $20 Ubuntu package provides its buyer's something additional to what we get (such as manual, book, etc) I think it a great idea for BestBuy to sell it. If it's just the same cd we get for free, I think that they shouldn't be allowed to sell it.

I'm thinking about leaving a review on Bestbuy's customer review page and I am going to mention that Ubuntu is "Free to Download" and that all the help that one could ever need/get is also Free here at the forums. Most likely, my review will be pulled.:)

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think this is great too. I think the only thing that urkes me is that linux is predominantly touted as the OS that runs on old hardware. Truth is, in most cases, it gives you more usage of your new hardware as well, and most definately more control over it. This is definately a step in the right direction, but it shouldn't be left open to interpretation that if you run high end hardware, that linux cannot meet your needs.
That's a minor point of contention. If everyone installed Ubuntu on their old hardware instead of buying a new computer, we'd see a revolution in consumer computing.

BDNiner
July 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Does the $20 include legal media codecs?

fluteflute
July 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Nope, they couldn't sue. They sold rights of Ubuntu's trademark to ValueSoft, and VS can do whatever they want with it.
Where did you get that information from? I can't find any reference to a deal between the two on Google.

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Does the $20 include legal media codecs?
Yes, I think they are using Fluendo Codecs.

Also, I like the warning on the box that says in clear, big print:

WINDOWS AND MAC PROGRAMS DO NOT RUN UNDER UBUNTU

EDIT
also, the registration code provides free support, which is nice.

toupeiro
July 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
That's a minor point of contention. If everyone installed Ubuntu on their old hardware instead of buying a new computer, we'd see a revolution in consumer computing.

I fully agree. I'm just pointing it out. Its very easy to create a stereotype when people make inaccurate or incomplete associations, and having them commercially applied inaccurately doesn't help. I'd just hate to see the product of an opportunity such as this not reach potential due to some ill-formed communication.

darundal
July 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
This (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&type=product&tab=1&id=1211587312374#productdetail) seems to be a little weird. Also, seems a little evil to me. Anyway. figured I should put something up about this.

67GTA
July 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I think it is awesome. I wonder though if they will sell all the six month releases, or just the LTS releases?

FXEF
July 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Best Buy is now selling Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=linux&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374

sports fan Matt
July 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I have a best buy down the street from me..I should see if they are selling the cd's

nick09
July 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I laughed when I noticed that the OS was in: Best Buy > Software & Games > Linux.

A dark web page and the fact that it is on the bottom shelf.:lolflag:

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Where did you get that information from? I can't find any reference to a deal between the two on Google.

http://princessleia.com/images/ubuntu/box_back.jpg

init1
July 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
This is a great idea. Yes, you could just download it, but many people have never heard of Linux before. In fact, my first Linux experience was with Fedora Core 1 CD's that I bought with a book at a book store.

mick222
July 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I see nothing wrong in it , non tech and ,very stupid people , might be frightened to download an iso or not even have a clue how to install linux.
Oh wait that was me when i first tried to run linux ,red hat years ago failed miserably. Some people only give things value if they pay for them and get some shiny packaging, so good luck to them . THe more people running linux the better.

RiceMonster
July 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
There's already a thread on the first page about this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=853139

AOZ
July 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
but is this legal? i mean yes its free and open source, but theres gotta be somethign wrong here, either ethically or lawfuly. 20$ != price of a blank CD

Polygon
July 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
i really like the packaging, they did a good job on it.

bapoumba
July 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Threads merged.

fatality_uk
July 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Wow. Some odd responses!!

Anyone got a link to that cartoon about the Linux nerd wanting to feel special so not wanting EVERYONE to install Linux?

Valu-soft official re-distributor :D

init1
July 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
but is this legal? i mean yes its free and open source, but theres gotta be somethign wrong here, either ethically or lawfuly. 20$ != price of a blank CD
Nope, the GPL says that you can sell open source software.

snowpine
July 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM

It is brilliant capitalism; whether that is right or wrong is a matter of opinion. :)

Besides, you can't walk into a music store and say "I'm only going to pay 5 cents for this Nickleback CD because that's how much a blank CD costs."

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Avast! and Fluendo codecs cost $$$.

This makes this CD partially proprietary.

nick09
July 8th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Yep the GPL allows the product to be commercially sold.

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yep the GPL allows the product to be commercially sold.
Yep, as long as the source is provided (in some way). This means they don't have to include it with the OS, but they can link to a site that links to sources.

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM

packaging, instruction book, and 60 day support.

Captain panda
July 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I kind of like this idea even though I downloaded ubuntu from the website. It took about a week of research and debating to convince my family that Linux wouldn't kill the computer. I think that this will help Linux distros to become less terrifying and more mainstream.

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Shipping, handling, stocking, fees...

Twintop
July 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM

I think that $20 is appropriate given everything included.

Has anyone purchased this and used the activation code, and tried to use their support? Is it e-mail? Phone? Forums? etc...

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I think that $20 is appropriate given everything included.

Has anyone purchased this and used the activation code, and tried to use their support? Is it e-mail? Phone? Forums? etc...
I've bought it, but haven't used the support yet...

I usually get that here for free...

pofigster
July 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Seriously, $20 probably isn't going to sell very many people on the idea. If somebody were handing out free cars, and then started charging $500 for one of them, brand-new, I still wouldn't buy it. The low price tag implies that there may be something wrong with it. Americans, at least, view a higher cost as being indicative of a better quality product. When it's free you can at least make the moral arguments about it.

And it's not illegal.

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
In light of the legality/ethics/pragmatism of selling free software, some of you may find this discussion interesting:
Linspire CEO Explains OOoFF (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138366)

artir
July 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Solution: Sell Ubuntu in cool boxes, do apple-style marketing and prize ubuntu 100$. With that money Ubuntu can get more devels and improve the system mwahahaha.

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Solution: Sell Ubuntu in cool boxes, do apple-style marketing and prize ubuntu 100$. With that money Ubuntu can get more devels and improve the system mwahahaha.
I have a better solution. Open a Ubuntu store (in the same vein as the Apple store, but without the software licensing restrictions) and sell preinstalled Ubuntu laptops.

Still, a boxed Ubuntu is a start.

Frak
July 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
In light of the legality/ethics/pragmatism of selling free software, some of you may find this discussion interesting:
Linspire CEO Explains OOoFF (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138366)
Ah... Kevin Carmony...

Man did we try rip him a new one... ;) Then Shuttleworth came in and downplayed the badtalking about Linspire.

I still think, in just being polite, that if you sell OSS software, at least include some benefit to buying it or provide a free link for download that "Doesn't include X and Y and maybe Z benefits".

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Its really annoying how digg and a bunch of blogs all think its a scam.
READ THE BACK OF THE BOX!!ITS 100% legal and $20 is not a lot for all that you get.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Speaking of support, does anyone here frequent Launchpad Answers? With no disrespect to the forums, it seems like a really solid mechanism for free tech support -- especially since it is in the same place as bugs and blueprints!

Speaking of cost, I do think it would be ideal if a little bit of that $20 went towards the Linux Foundation, GNU, GNOME, Debian, Canonical, etc...

As for the "Bah, evil! charging for software you can download free", just think of how this will affect BB. Big computer stores are notoriously negative towards open source software. What happens if one of those stores starts selling it as a regular product? Looks like a web order only for now (although I have so far done terribly at parsing that product page, so could be wrong), but imagine if that succeeded and ended up on the shelf. Then, the employees would be able to discuss Ubuntu, and more interestingly the included software like OpenOffice, completely fairly!

fiddledd
July 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Seriously, $20 probably isn't going to sell very many people on the idea. If somebody were handing out free cars, and then started charging $500 for one of them, brand-new, I still wouldn't buy it. The low price tag implies that there may be something wrong with it. Americans, at least, view a higher cost as being indicative of a better quality product. When it's free you can at least make the moral arguments about it.

And it's not illegal.

I agree, their selling point seems to be Ubuntu is cheap, not that it's OSS and more secure than Windows. It even includes Anti Virus and doesn't explain that this is to protect Windows clients, not Ubuntu.
The saying goes that "All publicity is good publicity", in this case I'm not so sure it is. Just MHO.

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I agree, their selling point seems to be Ubuntu is cheap, not that it's OSS and more secure than Windows. It even includes Anti Virus and doesn't explain that this is to protect Windows clients, not Ubuntu.
The saying goes that "All publicity is good publicity", in this case I'm not so sure it is. Just MHO.

It doesn't explain that the anti virus is for windows but read the
rest of the boxhttp://princessleia.com/journal/?p=1262.It does tout security.
The only downside to this is that they probably won't display
it anywhere near vista.

fatality_uk
July 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
This is great news and people should get on board with this. I am guessing that a percentage goes back to Canonical (Or at least I would hope so) and if this revenue stream means more developers can work on Ubuntu/Linux in general, then why not?

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
When is this story going to hit slashdot?

fatality_uk
July 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I just submited it ;)

mrv
July 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM

The real point is if ValuSoft has violated Ubuntu's Trademark Policy (http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy). It surely looks like it, unless they have an agreement with Canonical.

They're also selling "Office Suite 2007" (OpenOffice.org), but they are not using any trademarked names there.

Vadi
July 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
It already hit digg.

I'd like to see a confirmation from Canonical that they really did authorize ValuSoft to be an "official reseller" as the box claims, and that Canonical is getting something out of this.

If no, well shucks, but this is legal.

Edit: One thing ValuSoft didn't do is violate the trademark policy - they clearly assign trademarks to canonical if you look at the pics.

mrv
July 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Edit: One thing ValuSoft didn't do is violate the trademark policy - they clearly assign trademarks to canonical if you look at the pics.

It's not just about assigning trademarks, the trademark policy denies anyone from using "Ubuntu" in a commercial endeavor without asking permission.

If they had it renamed completely and didn't use Ubuntu logo, name, etc., it'd be ok. But as it's now, they really require a permission from Canonical.

Vadi
July 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
You're right, my bad. Lets hope Canonical backs up the statement on their box that "Canonical recognizes Valusoft as an official re-distributor of Ubuntu" (click (http://princessleia.com/images/ubuntu/box_back.jpg)).

eragon100
July 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
It's not just about assigning trademarks, the trademark policy denies anyone from using "Ubuntu" in a commercial endeavor without asking permission.

If they had it renamed completely and didn't use Ubuntu logo, name, etc., it'd be ok. But as it's now, they really require a permission from Canonical.

As long as it has something to do with operating systems, yes.

But there is also an "Ubuntu" fair trade company, and an "Ubuntu" human rights organisation (www.ubuntu.org), and canonical can't do anything about that :)

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Oh, come on. Do you really think they would have printed up a box saying they are official re-distributors and sold those boxes to Best Buy and Amazon if they hadn't obtained the proper permissions from Canonical? Even if ValuSoft itself were dodgy, you can bet Best Buy's and Amazon's lawyers would be all over that before making a deal.

mrv
July 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yep, just found the picture also. Looks like a pretty complete package and if what they claim is true (they have a deal with Canonical), all the best to them. But if not... we'll be hearing about it :)

Vadi
July 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Only thing that's holding me suspicious is that I failed to find Valusoft on Canonical's website now.

cookieofdoom
July 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think it might be just a hint underpriced.:lolflag:

tbroderick
July 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Only thing that's holding me suspicious is that I failed to find Valusoft on Canonical's website now.

If you go to the front page, http://www.canonical.com, there is a banner saying, "Canonical welcomed these new partners in May". ValuSoft is one of them.

init1
July 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
The real point is if ValuSoft has violated Ubuntu's Trademark Policy (http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy). It surely looks like it, unless they have an agreement with Canonical.

They're also selling "Office Suite 2007" (OpenOffice.org), but they are not using any trademarked names there.
According to the box, it's OK with Canonical.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76928&stc=1&d=1215551598

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
If you go to the front page, http://www.canonical.com, there is a banner saying, "Canonical welcomed these new partners in May". ValuSoft is one of them.
Good find.

Midwest-Linux
July 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Getting a operating system and sixty days support for $20 is definitely worth the price. Now it would be a great deal if Best Buy installed Ubuntu and peaked everything for a extra $20.

Actually, I got the best deal. I get free 24 hour support (from these forums) and the operating system was also for free.:lolflag:

Vadi
July 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Okay great, because it simply says "Canonical welcomed these new partners in May:" and no partners.

aysiu
July 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Okay great, because it simply says "Canonical welcomed these new partners in May:" and no partners.
That's not what it said in my web browser (see the attached screenshot in my last post).

Are you using some kind of image blocking plugin?

Edit: Or perhaps you're using NoScript. In order to get ValuSoft to appear, you need JavaScript or Flash, or whatever's being used.

Vadi
July 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ah I see. ff3 here and adblock plus killed the wording on some 'partner' filter :) I see it now.

Also, it looks like a Valusoft employee commented:

Great pictures, thanks for spreading the word out :)

The registration code enables 60 days of support which ValueSoft provides. Although I can’t give out any details, Valuesoft works with Canonical’s tech support to deliver that and it is indeed an “officially” approved boxing of Ubuntu.

There are errors on the box unfortunately it was designed a while ago, however calling those lies is bit of a stretch.

zmjjmz
July 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'll come back when they start offering computers with Ubuntu pre-installed.

FyreBrand
July 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Oh, come on. Do you really think they would have printed up a box saying they are official re-distributors and sold those boxes to Best Buy and Amazon if they hadn't obtained the proper permissions from Canonical? Even if ValuSoft itself were dodgy, you can bet Best Buy's and Amazon's lawyers would be all over that before making a deal.Thank you! This deal is really cool and a great step. It's a good deal and hopefully this will lead to a more enthusiastic approach to pre-installation than Dell has taken.

It simply amazes me how quick people are to look for conspiracies and wrong-doing. If there is a legitimate obstacle to adoption or "desktop readiness" it could well be a portion of the user base that is ready to be offended and quick to throw out the lawsuit card.

dracule
July 8th, 2008, 11:57 PM
eh. best buy aint so bad. I bought the three year warranty for my laptop, and lo and behold the motherboard went bad on it, 2x that was $500 a piece for a $700 laptop and a $300 warranty. luckily i didnt have to pay. :)

sydbat
July 9th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Must only be Best Buy in the US. The Canadian site has no mention of Ubuntu. Still, a good first step.

smartboyathome
July 9th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I wish they stocked some in the best buy near me, the closest they have it stocked is in Seattle. :(

L815
July 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I don't like going to Best buy at all. My friends usually drag me along there if they want something (don't ask -_-), but the screen save idea is good. Maybe even lock it so the employees can't change it back haha.

Anyway, I just let them talk and then completely ignore their suggestions lol.

init1
July 9th, 2008, 01:35 AM
That's not what it said in my web browser (see the attached screenshot in my last post).

Are you using some kind of image blocking plugin?

Edit: Or perhaps you're using NoScript. In order to get ValuSoft to appear, you need JavaScript or Flash, or whatever's being used.
Yeah that doesn't appear for me either. It's listed when you click the link though. The only thing I have that could have blocked it is Adblock.

hansdown
July 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I was in a Canadian best buy last week because of the great forum topics here. I already knew that hp printers & scanners are o.k. with ubuntu from the excellant people on our forums. I asked the first "sales guy" if the all in one I was looking at would work with linux. He took me to the next "sales guy", who looked at the first "sales guy" with a glint of terror in his eye, that was returned by the first "sales guy". The second "sales guy" told me that,"it's backyard stuff." Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Vadi
July 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Must only be Best Buy in the US. The Canadian site has no mention of Ubuntu. Still, a good first step.

Yeah, I couldn't find it either, but some guy said he found it in a vancouver best buy.

Vadi
July 9th, 2008, 02:04 AM
heh, guess they didn't train much of their salesforce yet.

smo0th
July 9th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I love doing things like that; me in a museum - computer running some presentation, I press ctrl+alt+del, it reebooted into the windows 95 desktop; I put on a screensaver saying "Grabham was here" :]

ROFL nice one

Zeenomorph
July 9th, 2008, 05:27 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=linux&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374

Isn't that in direct violation of the GNU public license?

wannadumpwindows
July 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM
You're more than welcome to package it up and sell it yourself. Assuming you can find people willing to pay for something they can get for free.

It looks to me like they're just trying to make some money off the people that hate vista and don't know how to use google.

I thought it was pretty funny in the comments section. There was one guy who bought the software, and also paid geek squad to install it. $170 for something that's free. Interesting. :lolflag:

smartboyathome
July 9th, 2008, 05:39 AM
This is, what, the 4th thread on this? Use the SEARCH people. :roll:

akiratheoni
July 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Isn't that in direct violation of the GNU public license?

Simple answer: no.

Dicinox
July 9th, 2008, 05:54 AM
No... You can sell Ubuntu, but no a licensing... Only the media...

Richard Stallman used to sell diskette with GNU programs...

barbedsaber
July 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Legal?
Yes

Right?
Not IMO...

aysiu
July 9th, 2008, 06:05 AM
People should read the GPL before becoming outraged:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

FranMichaels
July 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM
People should read the GPL before becoming outraged:

People should read the GPL before having discussions on its restrictions and rights it gives. So much misinformation could be avoided. :D

GPL FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

The GNU Licenses, pick one and read it and/or about it.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html

The Humour section
http://www.gnu.org/fun/fun.html

Some things in it are funny, or at least cute in a weird way... :lolflag:

days_of_ruin
July 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Legal?
Yes

Right?
Not IMO...

Whats wrong with it?Some people want an instruction book and support.

ARhere
July 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
It looks like 8.04 has been available to buy for a few months and no one noticed.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374
the /. (http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/08/07/09/026208.shtml) article/discussion/mud-throwing.

Also on the same topic. I actually want to buy DVD playback software for my Ubuntu machine. Anyone know of a vendor that offers their product for Linux like Nero does for their burning software?

-AR

aysiu
July 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Plenty of people have noticed. There's a quite long thread about it in the Community Cafe: Best Buy selling Ubuntu linux for $20 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=853139)

Dell Ubuntu computers come with DVD playback. I'm not sure what software they're using (LinDVD?).

There's something called Nero Linux, which I believe is a port of Nero to Linux. Is there something Nero offers you that K3B doesn't?

cptnapalm
July 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
People are more likely to abandon something quickly when they receive it for free than if they paid for it. Magazine advertisers pay less money to free publications, not due to fewer people reading a free magazine, but because people are less inclined to look at the ads when the magazine is free.

Since Linux is not Windows, it does require some learning, not as much as many people will say, but there is some. As the folks that buy Ubuntu from Best Buy will mostly be new people, they are more likely to stick it out for the learning curve. Why? Because they have already invested in it. That relatively small investment of $20 very well may be the difference, in a few circumstances, between someone trying it out as a LiveCD for an hour versus someone who will be here a year from now answering questions for the newbies.

Considering the vast amount of software they are getting plus support plus free updates forever plus no restrictions on how many computers they can install it on, $20 is not a bad deal for them. It is cheap enough to buy on a whim. They get official support if they need it. I started off on RedHat 4.1 or so, having bought it in a store. I'm still here a decade later.

Did anyone but me notice that one of the purchasers is switching from OS X? That's something interesting.

Lord Xeb
July 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
This does not surprise me at all other than the late fee thing. I only go and get things from newegg anyway and just get the small stuff at best buy. Do they still do these things?

ARhere
July 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Plenty of people have noticed. There's a quite long thread about it in the Community Cafe: Best Buy selling Ubuntu linux for $20 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=853139)
Weird, I always search for a previous post before posting myself. Nothing came up. Sorry about that.

Dell Ubuntu computers come with DVD playback. I'm not sure what software they're using (LinDVD?).
This is interesting! I just chatted with a DELL rep. grilling him about the details. He said it was built into the video player and the PC's do not ship with a separate software package.

Anyways, I want to go buy a complete DVD playback package that can play encrypted DVD movies for Ubuntu Linux, not a computer. I want this so I don't have to worry about legal (i live in the US) or technical issues (DVD menus) alike.

EDIT: I just checked out LinDVD. After reading the description and thinking about Dell's reply, I am lead to believe it is LinDVD. Can someone verify that?

There's something called Nero Linux, which I believe is a port of Nero to Linux. Is there something Nero offers you that K3B doesn't?
Nero was an example of what I am talking about. I use and love K3B.

-AR

stalkingwolf
July 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
My biggest problem with this is the misleading statements made on amazon
and Bestbuy.com.

This is HH 8.04 and the say the min requirements are
500mz pocessor and 256 Mb of ram.
I have yet to get it to run on a system with these specs, or even
with a 900mz processor.

They also say "Compatible with Intel®-based Macs and PCs". We know this is only partly true. While it will probably work as advertised, some parts may not. Like graphics cards and dialup.
For instance I have HH running beautifully on my Compaqnc8000 with ati mobility radeon. I installed it and everything just worked, even the built in wifi.

My desktop with a Via s3 is another story. I still cannot get resolution
better than 800x600.

There are many such glitches with hardware. Not all of which are the fault
of linux OS's.

aysiu
July 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
People are more likely to abandon something quickly when they receive it for free than if they paid for it. And some Ubuntu community members are more likely to say "Why are you complaining about something that's free?" if people complain and haven't paid for Ubuntu.
Magazine advertisers pay less money to free publications, not due to fewer people reading a free magazine, but because people are less inclined to look at the ads when the magazine is free. Do you have a source for this? It seems it would make economic sense for a cost-free publication with a 4,000,000-person readership to have more bargaining power over advertising prices than a pay-for publication with a 40,000-person readership.

jsmidt
July 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Seriously everyone, I'm sure many of you have heard Mark Shuttleworth say the best thing you can do to get Linux in the consumer market its to vote for it with your wallet.

For $20, you can buy Ubuntu at Best Buy (http://blog.canonical.com/?p=18), and vote for your Ubuntu support with your wallet.

You know this will really help Ubuntu and Desktop Linux (http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/ubuntu-linux-goes-retail/) go mainstream!

At least Digg if you agree.

fluteflute
July 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Just thought I'd say Canonical has posted about this on their blog: http://blog.canonical.com/?p=18

kender42
July 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I called BestBuy this morning to find out about Ubuntu and they told me that it has NEVER been offered for free and they are offering a deal from the regularly priced $200 price tag. They tried to convince me that they bought a license from Ubuntu for $200 a cd. Now that is laughable since I gave them the ubuntu web site and told them that according to the website you can download it or receive a cd in the mail for free.

WOW, best buy is really stretching things a bit

bruce89
July 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I wonder how much money goes to the people who did most of the work (upstream).

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I called BestBuy this morning to find out about Ubuntu and they told me that it has NEVER been offered for free and they are offering a deal from the regularly priced $200 price tag. They tried to convince me that they bought a license from Ubuntu for $200 a cd. Now that is laughable since I gave them the ubuntu web site and told them that according to the website you can download it or receive a cd in the mail for free.

And I assume you spoke to someone like a marketing director or public relations director for an "On the record" quote?

Or, did you phone your local BestBuy and speak to cashier Dave/Phil or Geoff?

FyreBrand
July 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Legal?
Yes

Right?
Not IMO...Why isn't it right? Is RedHat immoral for selling it's OS software package? I don't think so. The wider the adoption the more people we are going to find who would rather pay to have someone do some of the work for them. It takes time and money to do it all yourself. In this case people are paying $20 for someone to create an install CD for them and for a retail business to shelve and make it available. This sounds like a great deal to me. Hopefully soon we will see people that like the OS and are willing to pay for it to be pre-installed and sold in retail outlets.

LaRoza
July 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I wonder how much money goes to the people who did most of the work (upstream).

Probably none. Best Buy likely gets all but the production (burning) money.

Vadi
July 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
And I assume you spoke to someone like a marketing director or public relations director for an "On the record" quote?

Or, did you phone your local BestBuy and speak to cashier Dave/Phil or Geoff?

Package, short manual & support cost $20, and I think on-site installation $140 (wow, those technicians must be getting paid well).

jsmidt
July 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Guys, the best way to get Upstream supported, financially, is if Linux were to go mainstream.

Seriously, everyone, not just Ubuntu will financially benefit from Linux going mainstream.

It's that simple.

fatality_uk
July 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Package, short manual & support cost $20, and I think on-site installation $140 (wow, those technicians must be getting paid well).

Doubt it!!

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM
And some Ubuntu community members are more likely to say "Why are you complaining about something that's free?" if people complain and haven't paid for Ubuntu. Do you have a source for this? It seems it would make economic sense for a cost-free publication with a 4,000,000-person readership to have more bargaining power over advertising prices than a pay-for publication with a 40,000-person readership.
craigslist much?

Vadi
July 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
He's the local smart pessimist.

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Weird, I always search for a previous post before posting myself. Nothing came up. Sorry about that.

This is interesting! I just chatted with a DELL rep. grilling him about the details. He said it was built into the video player and the PC's do not ship with a separate software package.

Anyways, I want to go buy a complete DVD playback package that can play encrypted DVD movies for Ubuntu Linux, not a computer. I want this so I don't have to worry about legal (i live in the US) or technical issues (DVD menus) alike.

EDIT: I just checked out LinDVD. After reading the description and thinking about Dell's reply, I am lead to believe it is LinDVD. Can someone verify that?

Nero was an example of what I am talking about. I use and love K3B.

-AR

yea it's lindvd and you can download and try

Sealbhach
July 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I bought Hardy from www.thelinuxshop.co.uk

What's the big deal? I'm paying for the convenience of media - not buying a license.

kevin11951
July 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM
yea it's lindvd and you can download and try

where can you download it?

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Correct, they use LinDVD.

Fluendo DVD is what I use:
http://www.fluendo.com/products.php?product=dvd

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
where can you download it?
It is only available to hardware distributors. Sorry.

Linuxratty
July 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I sure hope it does well.
http://blog.canonical.com/?p=18
https://blog.canonical.com:444/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bestbuy.jpg

Black Mage
July 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I like Amazon's pricing for Ubuntu. $12.99 for a new version a $2.00 for a used.

Cracks me up

:lolflag:

ARhere
July 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I will buy/use one of the following suggestions and mark solved shortly.

I bought Hardy from www.thelinuxshop.co.uk

What's the big deal? I'm paying for the convenience of media - not buying a license.

I don't understand. What are you referring to?

-AR

madjr
July 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
yea

lukjad
July 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM
This doesn't look legal at all, Canonical should sue.
You are allowed to sell things with Ubuntu and services for Ubuntu. The GNU public license allows; nay, encourages; the sale of free and open source software. I may not be the first to say this in this thread and I hope to add my voice to the others. If you sell something that is free and people buy them, good for you. GNU software is "free" in the way that I can sell, copy, and change the program(s) I am using. Instead of looking as it as an insult that Best Buy would sell something that they got for free, think of the exposure, and the fact that they trust our product so implicitly that they will sell it in their stores. This means that a retail giant is in a manner of speaking, backing Linux. This is great news! Rejoice! We are finally getting our message through to the money men. Linux is powerful and useful. Be happy, it's easier and more fun.

p_quarles
July 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
More threads merged. We only need one for this topic!

bmac
July 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I found a simple way of enlightening people. I placed an add in a local newspaper offering free Ubuntu disks and of course with the disk came a list of informational web sites (this forum tops the list). Initially, this idea had merit.

After burning the 300th disk and mailing, it became obvious that I did not have the financial resources to continue providing these disk for free. I also provided the Ubuntu web site as part of the initial news ad. I really didn't expect the response and was overwhelmed by the number of requests.

Now having relocated to a smaller community am considering a similar endeavor, but will modify the ad to provide the disks only by specific request - made by individuals who may not have the ability to download (no internet, dial up, etc.)....

doorknob60
July 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Best Buy selling Ubuntu....major rip off but I think it's good, that will make people think it's "trustworthy" (unlike Best Buy, but most people don't realize that), and hopefuly more people will know about it. As an unrelated side note, a local video game shop gives out free Ubuntu CD's :-) Or at least they did, they've run out and I'm not sure if they got anymore.

Frak
July 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Just thought, this is the same people (Best Buy) that owns the JEEP (Just Enough Education to Perform) group called Geed Squad.

fktt
July 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
little late with saying this, and someone else may have pointed this out,
but selling gnu licensed software is not illegal,
if you supply either the sources with it,
or propperly point out where the sources can be attained from. :)

OZFive
July 10th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Back when I had a Mac (and this would work as well for Ubuntu) I walked (versus running or skipping) into a Best Buy and had not gone in 20 feet when a Geek Squadie came up to me and said....

GS; Excuse me sir, have you noticed that when you kleave your computer running for long periods that it tends to slow down.

Me; Not really

GS; Well it does and that is usally the fault of viruses and trojans that are on the internet infecting your computer. We can help with that!

Me; I have a Mac

GS: Oh I guess you do not need us.

Me; Nope, thanks anyways.

(Walks away)

aysiu
July 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Even if you have Windows, that isn't necessarily true. I've been running the same Windows installation at work for almost a year with no slowdowns. I run it with a limited user account (not an administrator account).

The Geek Squad preys on people's ignorance about how to secure their computers. Good security isn't easy on Windows, but it's possible if you're willing to be educated on it.

Frak
July 10th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Even if you have Windows, that isn't necessarily true. I've been running the same Windows installation at work for almost a year with no slowdowns. I run it with a limited user account (not an administrator account).

The Geek Squad preys on people's ignorance about how to secure their computers. Good security isn't easy on Windows, but it's possible if you're willing to be educated on it.
But with the over-elaborate word effects, and the little doubt in the back of your mind that "my computer may actually be slowing down", then you'll never buy the mega-deal extravaganza. ONLY $100 (plus $50 per month fee): WHAT A STEAL, BUY NOW!

Vadi
July 10th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Didn't Valusoft did a wonderful job on the packaging though? With the couple of mistakes (although apparently the packaging is dated), I don't think it could get any better!

zmjjmz
July 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM
GS; Excuse me sir, have you noticed that when you leave your computer running for long periods that it tends to slow down.

Me; Not really

GS; Well it does and that is usually the fault of viruses and trojans that are on the internet infecting your computer. We can help with that!

Me; I have a Mac

GS: Oh I guess you do not need us.

Me; Nope, thanks anyways.

(Walks away)

http://xkcd.com/272/

Vadi
July 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I guess that's one of the lines employees are told to say.

madjr
July 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Didn't Valusoft did a wonderful job on the packaging though? With the couple of mistakes (although apparently the packaging is dated), I don't think it could get any better!

yea great box

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/img_4463-300x225.jpg

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/07/08/pictures-and-details-of-ubuntu-in-best-buy/

Stu09
July 10th, 2008, 04:49 AM
http://xkcd.com/272/

Blahahaaha

arm-c
July 10th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Actually, it is legal. Do a google search for legality of selling Open Source under GPL licenses. It is legal. I just find it funny that NO ONE in the posts mentioned it could be downloaded for free or requested for free.

True to form, people do tend to trust something they paid for more than something that is free... untill they learn of the true OS value (not shareware/bloatware/addware).

I have enjoyed reading posts so far. :)

Spaceman9
July 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
http://princessleia.com/images/ubuntu/box_back.jpg

It's legal. Look at the lower left side of the box.

Official Re-Distribution
Canonical recognizes
Valusoft as an offical
re-distributor of Ubuntu
Canonical

So, that means Valusoft is doing this with Canonicals knowledge. What I wonder about is the blow back when everyone that paid $20.00 finds out they could have D/L'ed it for free. And I bet they won't care. They'll say “Golly, I paid $20.00 for something I could of downloaded for free, but I don't care because now I know I can get all the linux I could ever want for free for the rest of my life!”

Well, look at it this way. Perhaps they did pay $20.00 for something they could have had for free, but at least they will never have to pay for it again. What else can we say that for? I wish it worked that way with cars.

fatality_uk
July 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
They'll say “Golly, I paid $20.00 for something I could of downloaded for free, but I don't care because now I know I can get all the linux I could ever want for free for the rest of my life!”

And if it were just that, I expect they would be a little upset. But this package gives 60 day support, is available to people who may still be on dial up or low bandwidth or slow broadband.

60 days of support! That's a FANTASTIC deal. A 1 year Canonical 9x5 support package costs $250, $0.68c a day x 60 days = $40! So your actually saving in real terms $20. How can that not be a good deal?

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Definitely a good deal.

Vadi
July 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Slightly related, but I'm confused over Canonical's support pricing. I don't think they considered a single home user much...

fatality_uk
July 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I know the site only lists Enterprise support, but as the only comparison available is with that, I used those figures!

Canis familiaris
July 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Maybe they would have hired few experienced users who could offer support.

fatality_uk
July 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Whilst this news is kind of fresh to us, the preperations for this will be going backs 6 months+. I expect that ValuSoft will have had support training from Canonical or there is a joint team working together.

Altur
July 11th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Sweet. When I go in to work tomorrow, I'll put a few of these up. I get a lot of people who are anti-Vista. I'll admit, Best Buy costs more for things you could do yourself in most cases, but that requires knowing how to do it or the patience to learn. Most of the people I work with, and the people who buy computers don't fit those criteria.

This deal is great for Ubuntu, because there are Best Buys everywhere in the United States, and given the proper education of employees, could lead to a huge adoption rate for Ubuntu. Yes, Geek Squad is a part of this plan, but its good for everyone. Best Buy is happy because they make money, the customer is happy because they get a computer that works better, faster and cheaper, Linux wins because there are less Windows users and more people following open standards, and I'm happy because I have another alternative to help customers get the best computer setup. (Yes, I could offer to do all their work for them, but do I have the resources to do it? No.) And I know I personally will be doing as much support as possible for any customer with Ubuntu or any Linux distro on their computers as I can while at work.

Vadi
July 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cheers :)

steveneddy
July 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Best Buy (PC and movie store in USA) is selling Ubuntu online and in stores.

Unbelievable.

Link here. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374)

lisati
July 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
A search at http://www.dse.co.nz (http://www.dse.co.nz/) reveals THREE different releases of Ubuntu, plus a laptop with it preinstalled.

Ioky
July 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM

3000$!!!, you can get a cutting edge computer with that much money. 3000$ just fix winxp...!!! (*)(&()*&*($%^$@%$@!$!%#$^&%*())&&^%%#@ (some swear hehe)

Stu09
July 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
A search at http://www.dse.co.nz (http://www.dse.co.nz/) reveals THREE different releases of Ubuntu, plus a laptop with it preinstalled.

No such luck at dse.com.au
Though they are selling knoppix for $4.95

Bubba64
July 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Amazon to.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase

L815
July 12th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I would laugh if it was $20 for a cd, but in the case it would say "Visit the ubuntu website to get a free download"

Just like it did when I bought a book for college, for a piece of software :p

Ioky
July 12th, 2008, 07:09 AM
but be fair, this act really help best buy. so people work there can be educated, because they have to.

Frak
July 12th, 2008, 07:09 AM
but be fair, this act really help best buy. so people work there can be educated, because they have to.
Nah.

Roasted
July 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, this can be a very good thing. More exposure to Ubuntu, and hopefully Best Buy will train employees to tinker with it a bit.

I have to admit, I like Best Buy a lot more than Circuit City. When I go to Best Buy, I'm professionally approached. They shake my hand, ask how I am doing today. Then, they ask me if I would need any help with anything. I say no one time, and they leave me alone... often times walking past me and smiling just to reassure myself that they are still around if need be.

In Circuit City, I go in there just to intentionally ask stupid questions and see what kind of traps those employees will try to put you in. Granted, it just may be luck of the draw with where I live, but there is a distinct difference between the two... and Best Buy definitely gets the thumbs up in the departments of knowing a thing or two about computers + not being an annoyance when I'm shopping.

But anyway, I can see people justifying Ubuntu for 20 dollars. Hell, if some of their employees get trained decently and there's a few Ubuntu fans in there, I know I would be likely to take the plunge and try Ubuntu for 20 bucks if an employee was suggesting it. Moreso than them suggesting Vista to me for the price...

rab4567
July 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I would like to see it put in Walmart, Office Max, and Staples for maximum effect.

Presto123
July 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I only trust ONE guy at Best Buy. The others tried to scam my parents into buying a $40 USB cable among other things. They don't go there to buy things without me now.

The one guy is an Aussie and he recommended Ubuntu and even offered to set it up for me in his spare time, but I figured it out fairly quickly.

Chame_Wizard
July 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
It's official now:lolflag:

Roasted
July 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I only trust ONE guy at Best Buy. The others tried to scam my parents into buying a $40 USB cable among other things. They don't go there to buy things without me now.

The one guy is an Aussie and he recommended Ubuntu and even offered to set it up for me in his spare time, but I figured it out fairly quickly.

Yeah... I've been to other Best Buy's that are simply laughable. But... in my experience and in my area, my experience with Best Buy has always been superior to Circuit City, however... there's only one Best Buy that I shop at, and each person I speak to I have to feel out and treat them as if they ARE indeed trying to scam me. But with being a graduate from the tech field and all, you can typically feel out who's BSing you rather quickly.

My best experience was when I was buying an ultra cheap laptop at Circuit City on black friday. I was talking to the guy and mentioned I was going to dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu. He laughed and said oh you can't do that, it's impossible. I was like, oh? I just did it on my desktop two days ago. Thanks. :guitar:

oldsoundguy
July 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
credit where credit is due .. I saved a boatload of money on a window air conditioner at Best Buy .. they had an "opened box - floor model" of the particular model I wanted and marked it WAY down.
My brother got a laptop for his daughter there and it was a decent deal. He could have done better IF he had the time by going on line and buying from a bricks and mortar, but all in all, he did OK.
I also saved a BUNDLE there on a UPS for my audio video equipment .. a LOT considering the shipping for one had I bought it on line!

But I would NEVER buy a computer from them. I prefer to build my own.

I buy my video from Video Only and beat the Best Buy price by about 1/3.
I buy my camera stuff from several reliable on line retailers such as KEH, or Adorama or B&H or Wolfe.
And AMAZON has some really good deals .. much better than Best Buy. But you are not able to take it home and play with it on the same day. Those requiring immediacy .. forget it!

HOWEVER, the local Best Buy's computer department is full of peeps that run LINUX on their own home machines! (which amazed the crud out of me!)

Redrazor39
July 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM
That box is an ugly piece of **bleep**. I think Canonical should take over marketing Ubuntu and create a market edition or something that is a boxed version with a simple help manual (which points the user to the many online sources of help as well as teaches how to use ubuntu) and the Live CD with a nice Design on it. The box should be simple and elegant like the hardy wallpaper, and have elements of the release edition (heron design from wallpaper on the box for hardy releases, intrepid w/e on the box for 8.10).

Canonical should sell this at the price of 1 year of full support and advertise that on the box saying the support is free (as most consumers would expect) and the OS costs the money. This way, Canonical gets the money they need to pay off the expenses (and some profit), and Ubuntu gets recognition as a professional alternative OS.

Of course, ubuntu needs to remain a free download with free shipit. The only thing that the consumer is really paying for with the box is the support, while the OS remains free.

Redrazor39
July 12th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ok this part just pisses me off:

...and keep your computer safe with powerful firewall and antivirus programs.

Vadi
July 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Why? You can install antivirus on Ubuntu if you want. That's true and it works, a lot better than antivirus companies claim for windows.

nick09
July 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
If they are coming from windows I can see why they put the antivirus there.

oldsoundguy
July 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hey, in a way they aren't lying .. the SYSTEM itself is anti-virus. BUT, trying to explain that to a Windows brainwashed user would confuse the issue, as Billy has been saying all along that HIS system is "secure".

Chame_Wizard
July 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Secure with lots of anti......software:lolflag:

alzie
July 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'm too lazy to put in pictures.

scroll down to "better together" > http://www.amazon.com/ValuSoft-71685-Ubuntu-Linux/dp/B0018KAN9E/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_bn/002-0425251-6656844

If you want the Canonical version > http://www.amazon.com/Canonical-Ubuntu-8-04-DVD/dp/B0019KKM4O/ref=pd_cp_sw_0?pf_rd_p=413863901&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0018KAN9E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BFMH0SCJK7K4AXK4C5Q

ARhere
July 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Well, look at it this way. Perhaps they did pay $20.00 for something they could have had for free, but at least they will never have to pay for it again. What else can we say that for? I wish it worked that way with cars.

This thread might be dead but I wanted to add something I found out. I just bought a copy at Best Buy. I wanted to buy one just for curiosity and to support the cause.

When I picked up my copy I had a chat with the software sales rep. and asked him if many people were willing to buy a copy as it is free to download. He replied very strongly that a lot of people that have heard of Ubuntu have been asking him for were to buy a copy (before the box set). He explained to each customer that they could download it for free and burn a CD, but said most customers did not want to do that. Customers replied that either they did not think they could do that, OR they would rather have an official copy.

I thought this was interesting and I believe him. I think the people willing to try something new are just being smart and are trying to cut corners where possible. I think this speaks to a philosophy that hard core Linux people that support Ubuntu should remember. Developers always reuse code when available, it does not make them afraid to try something new. It seems like most Ubuntu hopefuls are just the same.

-AR

wrtpeeps
July 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Certainly a half decent business idea. Sell it for $20, they probably make $15 for each copy sold. They give it a facing on one of the shelves where they have space. Cash cow.

They won't display it next to Vista, because Microsoft will be paying (and there is nothing wrong with this) bestbuy for floor space, and unless canonical do the same, they'll have to be happy for a little space on the bottom shelf. :lolflag:

evertmantel
July 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Oh wait that was me when i first tried to run linux ,red hat years ago failed miserably.

:lolflag: Yep, that was me too.. like 10 years ago, trying linux for a first time. Failed miserably... Linux has come far for the average user since then!

Lostincyberspace
July 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM

they are a business and are not using it for personal use (they make money from it) for business ther are liscence agreements that cost money, even for ubuntu, which is how canonical can afford to do this.

Canis familiaris
July 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Certainly a half decent business idea. Sell it for $20, they probably make $15 for each copy sold. They give it a facing on one of the shelves where they have space. Cash cow.

They won't display it next to Vista, because Microsoft will be paying (and there is nothing wrong with this) bestbuy for floor space, and unless canonical do the same, they'll have to be happy for a little space on the bottom shelf. :lolflag:

But it is a start! Drop and Drop make an ocean.

ARhere
July 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
They won't display it next to Vista, because Microsoft will be ....

Uhm.... that is not entirely correct, at least for the store I bought my copy from.

There was a single large rack for Vista, another for Apple, and on the bottom of the Vista rack was a shelf without a blue "WINDOWS OS" banner and the Ubuntu box sets where there.

I asked about that and the manager said he is putting a big red "Linux OS" banner on that shelf, so MS and Linux would be on one rack. (Granted the Linx was one shelf on the bottom and Windows filled the rest of the rack)

The funny thing is, I think the software rep. and floor manager were Ubuntu fans from the way they talked. One even made a "F*@#$ Microsoft pisses me off so much..." comment. hehehe

-AR

AnLGP
July 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
If people are having trouble burning .iso's and are willing to shell out 20 bucks instead of the time it takes to get a .iso burning device and learn how to use it OR go to ubuntu.com and get the FREE cd shipped to them (for free!) that's a shame.

I can understand there are some pretty non-technical people and whatnot but chances are pretty decent that SOMEONE that person knows is. If that person can burn a CD they can learn how to burn an .iso.

I suppose I'm a little upset that it's being sold.

jasontu
July 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Wha? Wow... That's horrendous. I always disliked Best Buy after being told how rottenly they treat their employees. I have a close friend who used to work for them, and they treat their employees about the same as they treat their customers. They lie to their employees and expect their employees to lie to their customers. My friend is an extremely honest person so I can imagine how painful it was for him to deal with that.

It sounds like they are becoming ever-more clueless though. Vista is XP "Appleized"? What? That's not a reason or even a defined concept. What the heck does "Appleized" mean? Why not just get an Apple? For that matter just read Microsoft's list of new features for the OS. Could they not have taken the 5 seconds that takes. Vista looks better than XP, has better security features, DX10, supports future hardware blah, blah, blah, poop on a stick... it just happens to be a HUGE resource hog.

I prefer to have all of those features and only need about 250mb of ram rather than 1-2GB thank you, Ubuntu.

I also hate how MSN and AOL depend on crap like this to even exist. Does AOL even have broadband yet? It seems like they were taking ages to get on that train.

Vadi
July 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Why? It's getting publicity, and this'll help Canonical make up a fraction of the free cd's it ships out with this.

Chame_Wizard
July 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Some people are dumb to burn .ISO images*M$ users*:lolflag:

No wonder that Unix/Linux/MacOS users are smart :guitar:

madjr
July 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
No wonder that Unix/Linux/MacOS users are smart :guitar:

macOS users?

some are yes, but the vast majority are ... (maybe i should not finish the sentence :))

but if you are referring to smart as in "smart enough to choose something different from windows" then yes, they are very smart

Dharmachakra
July 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM
If people are having trouble burning .iso's and are willing to shell out 20 bucks instead of the time it takes to get a .iso burning device and learn how to use it OR go to ubuntu.com and get the FREE cd shipped to them (for free!) that's a shame.

I can understand there are some pretty non-technical people and whatnot but chances are pretty decent that SOMEONE that person knows is. If that person can burn a CD they can learn how to burn an .iso.

I suppose I'm a little upset that it's being sold.

Not really a shame. Broadband internet access is still and luxury that many people simply don't have. Not only does that make downloading the image a headache, they probably don't use the internet enough to hear about alternatives to Windows/OSX. I velieve that's where most people hear about Linux/GNU.

Shipping directly from Ubuntu takes forever. But I'll agree that if someone truly wanted a Linux/GNU OS disc delivered to them they'd find some way to get them through mail order.

Personally, I think the company behind this (was it ValuSoft?) is looking to, yes make money, but also to "market" Ubuntu in a different way than the internet and a few obscure newspaper articles. To that end I think they'll acheive their goal quite well. So really, I think this is marketed towards people with no prior knowledge of Ubuntu rather than those with it. If those types are the main people purchasing it, I can't really call it a shame.

days_of_ruin
July 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
macos Users?

Some Are Yes, But The Vast Majority Are ... (maybe I Should Not Finish The Sentence :))

But If You Are Referring To Smart As In "smart Enough To Choose Something different From Windows" Then Yes, They Are Very Smart

+1.

jasontu
July 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Stupidly enough I think that people will trust Ubuntu more if they pay money for it. At least in the US, most people have a "nothing that's good is free" mentality.

If they wanted to Canonical could always market an Ubuntu you could buy in the store. They could ad some really nice documentation, tech support, DVD setup... blah blah blah... Ubuntu itself would still be free, but you would be paying for some nice silky packaging.

Plus people wouldn't feel like they are getting a cheap knock-off of windows... sadly enough a lot of people who don't know much about Linux think that that's what it is.

Does Ubuntu have television ads anywhere? They should test market that... maybe they are waiting for the time to be right. They should team up with Dell or Wal-mart to produce ads for the Ubuntu machines. They could start with a small localized market to test it out.

aysiu
July 14th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't air television ads for Ubuntu as an operating system. I would, however, air ads for preinstalled Ubuntu options. People who buy computers based on television ads are far more likely to want the operating system preinstalled and preconfigured by the OEM than to want to install and troubleshoot the installation themselves.

Option 1
Repartition drive or completely erase Windows. Risk all sorts of hardware incompatibility.

Option 2
Let Dell (or some other company) pick all the hardware and test it, have Ubuntu already set up for you and include indisputable legal DVD playback to boot.

Given those two choices, I'd rather advertise for Option 2.

jasontu
July 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't air television ads for Ubuntu as an operating system. I would, however, air ads for preinstalled Ubuntu options. People who buy computers based on television ads are far more likely to want the operating system preinstalled and preconfigured by the OEM than to want to install and troubleshoot the installation themselves.

Option 1
Repartition drive or completely erase Windows. Risk all sorts of hardware incompatibility.

Option 2
Let Dell (or some other company) pick all the hardware and test it, have Ubuntu already set up for you and include indisputable legal DVD playback to boot.

Given those two choices, I'd rather advertise for Option 2.

Agreed. It's basically what Apple is doing and they are doing pretty well by it. A pre-installed guaranteed compatible system is definitely a good way to introduce somebody to the OS.

I loaded Xubuntu on my Dad's old machine and he loves it by the way. He has some tech knowledge but not much - he hasn't dabbled in IT for about 10 years or so.

Once it's set up the end user shouldn't even notice a real difference from Windows aside from the lack of sluggishness and having to be paranoid about viruses and spyware.

There goes the naysayers' claims that Linux is not ready for prime time or is only for geeks.

aysiu
July 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
There goes the naysayers' claims that Linux is not ready for prime time or is only for geeks. Unfortunately not, for two reasons.

First of all, there is no agreed-upon definition of ready for prime time or ready for the desktop. So unless Linux is an exact clone of Windows and itself has over 80% desktop/laptop marketshare, there will always be a group of naysayers saying it doesn't meet some arbitrary criteria they've set it up to fail in.

Secondly, as long as the preinstalled options are not well publicized or well marketed (Dell's website practically does everything it can to shoo you back to Windows), it'll be pretty much geeks or friends/family members of geeks who use Linux at home.

As I said before, non-geeks generally do not want to install and configure their own operating systems. Many do not even know what an operating system is.

jasontu
July 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Secondly, as long as the preinstalled options are not well publicized or well marketed (Dell's website practically does everything it can to shoo you back to Windows)

I wonder how much of that is lack of enthusiasm on Dell's part versus pressure from Microsoft. I get the feeling that Microsoft can really push a struggling PC manufacturer like Dell around. All they have to do is make their bulk licensing to Dell a little bit less good of a deal and have a huge impact on Dell.

I'm not sure what hardware companies would have the kind of heft it would take to have a full blown marketing of Linux side-by-side with Windows. HP-Compaq? Sony? Intel? Wal-mart could push it, but Wal-mart is synonymous with junkie electronics. It's a tough one... Intel isn't even adopting Vista in their own corporation (hilarious BTW). Maybe we should suggest to them what they should adopt after XP :P

aysiu
July 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
While I would love to see the Ubuntu option heavily marketed, right now Dell isn't even lightly marketing it or marketing it at all.

This is what happens when you visit the Dell Ubuntu page:
After extensive testing, Dell PCs featuring Ubuntu are now shipping with version 7.10. In addition to new 3D visual effects, an easy-to-use desktop search engine and pre-installed Flash, we’ve added native DVD playback and improved back up, recovery and restore options.

Not sure Open Source is for You?
The main thing to note is that when you choose open source you don’t get a Windows® operating system. If you’re here by mistake and you are looking for a Dell PC with Windows, please use the following link.

Shop Dell PCs with Windows

Already an Open Source fan?
Choose from the following two options to get started, or keep reading to learn more about our open source offerings.

Shop For Ubuntu Shop For FreeDOS

What Is Open Source?
Open source software is designed in a way that lets multiple people change, improve and redistribute the source code, meaning the software is generally community developed and available for free.

An advantage of open source is that it can deliver more reliability and flexibility, as well as faster updates and fixes, all at a lower cost. Plus, if you’re an expert, you can tweak and alter the code to completely customize the software to do exactly what you want. A downside is that some open source software requires intermediate or advanced knowledge to use, and in the case of operating systems, may not be compatible with the same software applications and hardware as Windows operating systems. I'd say that (especially the parts marked in red) is negative marketing for Ubuntu, or positive marketing for Windows.

The main thing to know is that you won't be getting Windows. If you want open source, you must already be a fan of open source. And don't forget, it's not compatible with Windows.

fiddledd
July 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
While I would love to see the Ubuntu option heavily marketed, right now Dell isn't even lightly marketing it or marketing it at all.

This is what happens when you visit the Dell Ubuntu page: I'd say that (especially the parts marked in red) is negative marketing for Ubuntu, or positive marketing for Windows.

The main thing to know is that you won't be getting Windows. If you want open source, you must already be a fan of open source. And don't forget, it's not compatible with Windows.

Yes, that really is negative marketing. Especially the "If you’re here by mistake and you are looking for a Dell PC with Windows, please use the following link". It appears they really don't want you to buy a Ubuntu PC.

aysiu
July 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, that really is negative marketing. Especially the "If you’re here by mistake and you are looking for a Dell PC with Windows, please use the following link". It appears they really don't want you to buy a Ubuntu PC.
And then when people complain on Idea Storm that Dell isn't marketing the Ubuntu PCs heavily enough, the Dell staff say, "Well, the general populace hasn't really shown an interest in buying Ubuntu PCs."

Of course they haven't! If they don't know Ubuntu PCs exist, and if after stumbling upon Ubuntu PCs they get shooed back to Windows, of course they're not going to be interested!

So we should market only things people are already interested in? That's not what marketing is all about. Do you think people were interested in iPods before Apple marketed them? Sure, there were some audiophiles and early adopters who had been using portable audio players for years, but before Apple started really heavily advertising iPods, no one I knew had a portable audio player.

That's what marketing is. That's what advertising is. At least in the corporate world. It's making people aware of products they were not previously aware of. And then convincing people they "need" stuff they really don't need.

Here's a direct quotation from one Dell representative on Idea Storm, commenting on MARKET linux PCs for real, and Open Office, for real (http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/10088542/MARKET_linux_PCs_for_real_and_Open_Office_for_real ):
It's quite simple - no executive will replace the prominent placement of a Windows box that will sell 5000 units with a Linux one that will sell 10. If Linux wants better placement on Dell.com - they're going to need to work towards it with Dell as well. I've done the research - over and over and over again for the past 8 months. Customers want something they're familiar with and comfortable with (see XP vs. Vista) - I can tell them up one side and down the other that they'll adjust to Linux and learn to love it - if they don't believe it or don't want to try it - we can't make them. Of course, customers want something they're familiar with. How do they get familiar with something? Have it shoved in their faces, as Windows has been by Dell for years. They won't get familiar with Ubuntu if you don't market Ubuntu properly.

Vadi
July 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Here's a fast: Valusoft went out and made this. Nobody else did, but everybody is complaining about it now.

Don't like it? Make your own. Do something. Be useful. Talking here accomplishes nothing.

tashmooclam
July 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
The Linux OS will become more popular because people will buy those "netbooks" and the OS will be on most of them. Most people buying an iPhone don't say "Does it run windows?" So, when people buy some of those small netbook laptops and use them, they will figure it out. I wish the marketer at Besty Buy would mention that Ubuntu is the desktop OS used by Google. That's a significant endorsement. Sort of like the time Microsoft produced it's annual shareholder report on a Mac.

aysiu
July 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Here's a fast: Valusoft went out and made this. Nobody else did, but everybody is complaining about it now.

Don't like it? Make your own. Do something. Be useful. Talking here accomplishes nothing.
While I think it's great that this is being done, I don't think the objectors are saying they could do a better job than ValuSoft. I think they're saying they don't think ValuSoft should be doing this at all, even though they are within their legal rights to do so and have Canonical's blessing.

Canis familiaris
July 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
SO basically how do they market Ubuntu? I mean what is the attitude of their salespersons?

Twintop
July 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
SO basically how do they market Ubuntu? I mean what is the attitude of their salespersons?

I think the salespeople aren't trying to market it, really. It's just another item that Best Buy has in stock. The high ticket items (laptops/desktops/printers/anything Mac) are the ones that have sales reps that 'work' the area.

I have a cousin that works at Best Buy here in Reno. I think I'll ask him more about this next time I talk to him....

By the way, they do have it at both Best Buys here in Reno/Sparks...albeit one on the shelf in each store.

ARhere
July 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
here's A Fast: Valusoft Went Out And Made This. Nobody Else Did, But Everybody Is Complaining About It Now.

Don't Like It? Make Your Own. Do Something. Be Useful. Talking Here Accomplishes Nothing.

+1 -ar

jasontu
July 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I have read a couple of blogs about this. Everyone seems to be mocking the concept of selling free software, but it has been done for a long time. Does anyone else remember the Shareware section at the software stores? They're gone now, but you could get some of the best PC titles from those racks. Commander Keen, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc. You paid about $5 for something that was free. (The internet pretty much removed all need for that market.)

With this you're paying $20 for marketing, packaging, support and the familiarity of software coming in a shiny box. Maybe it's a little silly, but adjusting for inflation it isn't that ridiculous. I don't even consider it dishonest so long as the documentation and support they are providing are of good quality. It just gives people what they are used to.

If only other operating systems did the same thing. You would hope that, with a sticker price well over $150, with Vista would get free two months of good support.

Chame_Wizard
July 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I hope Kubuntu,Xubuntu and Edubuntu are included:guitar:

snowpine
July 17th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I hope Kubuntu,Xubuntu and Edubuntu are included:guitar:

Yes, they are included in your $20 purchase... but you have to download them yourself! ;)

Mr. Picklesworth
July 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Shareware is not free. It is built by independent developers, with a free demo, but the full version costing money.

Frak
July 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Shareware is not free. It is built by independent developers, with a free demo, but the full version costing money.
I recall buying a demo of Hexxen, then calling id to get a serial. So it was a full version, just a lower price tag.

jasontu
July 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM

I was waiting for someone to get anxious about the difference between freeware and shareware. iD software released entire games that were shareware that you could buy more levels for. The demos were pretty full games in themselves, and one didn't have to pay money for them. There was also a lot of shareware that wasn't a demo... it was just shareware. You could pull them off Ye Olde Bulletine Boardes back in the day... back in the day when 14.4 modems were the bazomb.

Frak
July 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Nothing like the free floppy/CD display stands at your local computer store/department store.

Wish they still had that now.

gforster
July 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I'd like to sidestep some controversy and ask if it is beneficial to the ubuntu project for me to spend $20 at Best Buy. Let's say I have $20 I would like to "donate" to ubuntu. Would it be better to buy the package at Best Buy so they say, "Hey, people are buying this thing, let's keep pushing it in the mainstream." Or do I just send off my $20 and hope it goes towards something useful?

bruce89
July 20th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I'd like to sidestep some controversy and ask if it is beneficial to the ubuntu project for me to spend $20 at Best Buy. Let's say I have $20 I would like to "donate" to ubuntu. Would it be better to buy the package at Best Buy so they say, "Hey, people are buying this thing, let's keep pushing it in the mainstream." Or do I just send off my $20 and hope it goes towards something useful?

I think a donation to whoever you want would be best as they get the full amount. Of course, I'd put it upstream somewhere, but that's just me.