PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Permission / recovery problems

Woah Cats
July 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hello everyone,

Fool that I am, I managed to delete or corrupt some files in the OS and now I cannot boot Ubuntu. I intend to wipe the HDD and install Ubuntu again but I've got some photos on there which I haven't backed up and need to retrieve them before I do. I've ran Ubuntu from the CD but cannot access the photos as I don't have permission to read the files.

Is there a way to log on under my username or to bypass the permission in order to access my photos?

I hope this makes sense!

Bigtime_Scrub
July 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
When you boot into the live CD and if it says you don't have the right permissions, trying opening a terminal...

sudo gksu nautilus

This should pop open a window that is as root. You should then be able to move the files where ever you like ie. burn to CD, copy to USB flash, etc.

unutbu
July 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
How to mount your linux partition from a LiveCD:

Boot from the LiveCD, open a terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal) and type

sudo fdisk -l
(Note the last bit is a lower case "-L", not minus one).

You should see output that looks something like

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 7 56196 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 8 660 5245222+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda3 * 661 38536 304238970 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 38537 38913 3028252+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 38537 38913 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris
Note the device name (e.g. /dev/sda3) which corresponds to your linux partition.

Armed with the name of your linux partition, now type (changing /dev/sda3 to the name of your linux partition)

sudo mkdir /Ubuntu
sudo mount /dev/sda3 /Ubuntu

Your Linux filesystem will now be mounted at /Ubuntu.
Usually when you run Ubuntu, your filesystem is mounted at /.
The above commands mount your filesystem at /Ubuntu because the LiveCD's filesystem is already mounted at /. So if your home directory is usually at /home/USERNAME, then after typing the above commands your home directory will be at /Ubuntu/home/USERNAME.